Rice Vinegar

Ancestral Foodie

• Moderators

The fermentation process makes rice vinegar okay. The original Whole30 guidelines left room for only apple cider vinegar and balsamic, but deeper studies opened the door to many more vinegars.

Oh great, thanks Tom! I'm not a particular fan of vinegars except balsamic, but as it is in many recipes, I thought I should get some (but only if it was Whole30 compliant!).

would apple cider vingegar be okay if it has manuka honey added? I find it so strong and really hard to handle, but am hoping the manuka honey (with it's antiseptic qualities) will make it a good choice instead?

• Moderators

I used apple cider vinegar exclusively when I first started cooking Whole30 meals and it can be strong. I learned to be avoid using "too much." Later I started using balsamic vinegar and found it accomplished much of what I wanted to achieve. A few months ago, I discovered infused balsamic vinegars and I am wildly happy with the experience. I bought 3 bottles of balsamic vinegar this week - blackberry ginger, pomegranate, and jalapeno balsamic. All of them are exciting to cook with.

• 2 years later...

Always read your vinegar labels too, I saw a rice vinegar this week that was loaded with syrup! :o

The "contains sulfites" warning also differs from country to country, different labelling laws. Natural sulfites are fine. Cheap balsamics tend to add artificial ones to fake aging in taste, so if it's very cheap, read carefully.

• 1 month later...

Archived