First Whole30 - 5 Days In

hmsiegel

Hello all,

I just wanted to introduce myself. I started my first Whole30 on Monday, March 4. So far so good. I really haven't had too many cravings or issues.

A little background:

I'm 33 years old and probably in better shape now than I was in high school (although a little heavier). I started my fitness journey about 3 years ago when I realized that I was overweight and out of shape. I quit smoking cold turkey and started exercising and eating better. It's been a slow process, which I have found to be the best way.

I've gone through a number of different strength programs and have loved the results. But the nutrition portion has always been difficult because I love food so much. I don't feel that I have a completely negative relationship with food though. I just like to eat good tasting food. Whether that be a perfectly marbled steak or a decadent cake.

At the beginning of this year, I switched exercise programs from a power lifting emphasis to a more balanced approach. I was also starting to watch my food a little bit closer. I was following The Carb Nite Solution, which actually did have some pretty good results. I found that on my non carb days, I was eating Paleo. I also found that I would feel like crap after my carb up. So I decided to ditch the Carb Nites and just go Paleo. That's when I found The Whole30 and decided to give it a try.

I've already navigated going out to dinner with friends, and that went well.

My biggest concern right now is that Passover is going to fall on day 22, and I'm not sure how to deal with that. This is a religious holiday, that kind of revolves around eating. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Harlan

Sorry, I'm not Jewish, but it would seem to me that the only problem food at the Seder itself would be the matzoh. Does everyone eat this, or would you feel wrong about not eating it? I realize the symbolic importance of this is very high. The other foods would all be fine as long as vegetable oil were not used to prepare them.

I can tell you that I am Catholic and don't avoid communion wafers and do not count that as not having a compliant Whole 30. Maybe this is one of those things that comes down to your perspective and your choice. I'm sure a moderator will have a more coherent answer for you!

• Moderators

I would say participate in the seder meal, but eat only token bites of the matzah. And if you are okay with using grape juice instead of wine, do that and take only token sips. Even a small amount of matzah may have a negative effect on your gut if you are sensitive, but the celebration of Passover comes only once per year. You can always add additional days to a Whole30, but the timing of Passover is not negotiable.

Thanks Tom. That makes a lot of sense. I will bring my own grape juice and drink a little of that. Luckily, matzah doesn't have much effect on my gut. Actually, nothing really does. I've been lucky that I basically have a stomach that can take anything. But it still feels better on the Whole30.

How many days should I add to my Whole30? I'm not really sure what the protocol is for that.

Thanks

• Moderators

I don't think you have to add days to your Whole30. If you felt like you were missing something by breaking the guidelines for a special occasion, you could add some days. Technically, you would add 22 days because that is what it would take to complete 30 compliant days in a row, but I bet you will have a good experience and learn a lot even with the seder meal. Practically speaking, if you feel you did not get as much from your Whole30 as you expected, you might add an extra week or two. Most people start to feel good results within a few weeks, but some folks take longer and don't start feeling the magic until day 30 or a little later.

Archived