Can I use baking soda in an otherwise W30-compliant recipe?

advencap

No, it's for a savory crustless quiche kind of thing, I am thinking the baking soda (not baking powder) is to help with the "fluffiness" factor of the eggs but I am not sure.

Makes sense about baking powder being out because it has corn starch (in addition to baking soda). Thanks for reminding me of that!

I don't think straight up baking soda has any added ingredients, however. Just the sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3).

But I will continue to assume no on that as well, there are obviously dozens of other ways to prepare eggs!

Ah ok....I make an egg loaf most weeks and 9/10 never add anything - but I have on occassion used a splash of sparkling water (I guess I was thinking of a tempurah batter?)

Other people use some coconut milk for a creamier texture.

You can always separate the eggs and beat the whites to a stiff peak and fold In gently the second before you place in a hot oven... I'm not sure if it would do much as they may lose their " air" with out a starchy matrix to hold it together ( like a soufflé ). Couldn't hurt to try

Still waiting for a mod to let us know if baking soda is OK. I think I saw in a different post that it's an ingredient of the "W9 Brew" but I may have been misreading that ...

In the meantime, I swapped (not calling it a substitute) the baking soda that this crustless quiche called for with coconut flour and it came out pretty well.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived