I started Whole 30 7 days ago. A few questions

Anya A Dizhoor

I have always loved Veggies but knew it was time to cut out certain things out of my diet (those daily pastries and alcohol). Just a week into the program I am sleeping better and have no anxiety which I think was directly related to the foods I have been eating. I had a question about supplements. I do take Omega 3, Calcium, Magnesium and Dry D 3 on daily basis. I also take Chlorella which was recommended to me by a nutritionist. Anyone else recommends Chlorella or should I take it out of my "Daily regimen"

I also was wondering what do you drink. I am a big green and white tea drinker (3-4 cups per day) sometimes coffee (now with no Stevia or Milk) and of course water with Lemon. What other drinks do you drink during your plan and also what about Salt intake. How much is okay to use...?

Thanks so much! And I look forward to making it through the 30 days.

Hi. I did my first Whole30 in January and loved it. I pretty much stay compliant most of the time now because I just feel better when I eat that way, but I have strayed terribly recently and I am starting my second Whole30 on Sunday! I drink coffee in the morning with coconut milk, green tea, La Croix (lime carbonated water), and just plain old water. Once in a while I mix it up with some herbal teas (chamomile, and african rooibos) too. Good luck!

i like to infuse water with a little flavor (cut up things like organic citrus of some sort and herbs, sometimes cucumber and let it sit overnight in the refrigerator), but pretty much stick to coffee and water.

Kombucha! I just discovered it a few weeks ago and it has completely satisfied my desire for a nice wind down evening drink. I was chicken to try it for a long time because it sounded disgusting, but I'm a total convert. Gingerade in my favorite so far.

• Moderators

I am not familiar with Chlorella. You are not likely to need a calcium supplement. Dark leafy greens and salmon and sardines with bones provide plenty of calcium. And there are some concerns about calcium supplements: http://chriskresser.com/calcium-supplements-why-you-should-think-twice

I drink a lot of water and a lot of herbal tea. I have 2 or 3 cups of coffee per week.

You can eat as much salt as you like during a Whole30. Most of the problem with salt has to do with the high amounts in processed foods. When you are eating whole meats, veggies, and fruits, you can add as much salt as you like safely because your taste buds are not likely to let you go too far.

Thank you! here is some information about Chlorella

http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-chlorella.html

I am still debating whether or not to include or take it out due to health concerns from wiki below.

If anyone is familiar feel free to add input.

Health concerns

A 2002 study showed that Chlorella cell walls contain Lipopolysaccharides, an endotoxin found in Gram-negative bacteria that affects the immune system and may cause inflammation.[20][21][22] However, more recent studies have found that the Lipopolysaccharides in organisms other than Gram-negative-bacteria, for example in cyanobacteria, are considerably different from the Lipopolysaccharides in Gram-negative bacteria.[23] Remarkably, a 2010 study found that Chlorella contains a peptide, known as Chlorella-11, that actually inhibits the inflammation caused by Lipopolysaccharides from Gram-negative-bacteria.[24]

I've taken chlorella in the past. I used to buy powdered broken cell wall chlorella and add it to my smoothies when I was on a raw food diet. It's used as a green food but it's high in PUFAs which is one of the things we're trying to cut down on on W30. If you're following a W30, chlorella isn't going to give you any benefits you won't be getting from your diet. Personally, I'd leave it out so you can evaluate the W30 on it's own. Then afterwards, if you want to, you could reintroduce it and see what effect it has. good luck

Archived