Hi beginner here

Pamela Aikman

Hi guys

Just planning to start my 30days on monday 11th march 2013. Clearing out cupboards today and cooking some paleo meals to put in fridge/freezer.

Anyone else starting monday? Could do with some buddies for willpower lol.

My main problem will be sugar! I have cut out most bad carbs over last fews with no problems but have such a sweet tooth :-(

Anyway im 31yrs young and a mum to a cheeky 2yr old ;-)

All advice welcome, i hope to gain energy and get lean on this challenge.

Cheers

Pam x

Hello! We've got the same start date, would love a friend to track with! I'm Jessica, 29, newly married and no kiddos yet. I'm currently wheat-free and eat a decently healthy diet, but the kicker for me is rich things like cheese, dark choc, and wine. I am honestly using the weekend to enjoy the very last bits in our apartment so that said food won't be there.

My husband is supportive, but not always the most sensitive. I do the cooking and shopping for the most part though, so partly by choice and partly by default, he's in for a Whole30 with me :)

Good luck this week! I'm prepping food tomorrow. Any meals you've made so far that you're particularly excited about?

Hi Jessica, glad to hav found someone to start with :-). My hubby is starting with me too but he is hopeless when it comes to advice and support on matters of diet and exercise.

Yeah we are the same just eating stuff we hav left and rest wil go to homeless shelter.

Slightly harder for me as need to keep some stuff for my toddler.

I hav tried about 5 recipes, check the site 3diets1dinner tried the chilli chicken and turkey burger which were nice. Also primalbritain has 100 recipes to try, we loved the mexican meatballs. :-)

Also tried two curry recipes, they were ok but not really for us.

Anyway feel free to message me or Facebook me. I plan to enjoy my last free day as its Mother's Day so having a meal out.

Good luck for Monday. Wil post on Monday ngt to let u know how I'm doing.

Pam x

Hi Pam, to be honest it's hard to get Scotch beef or lamb that isn't grass fed. I had a chat with the farmers at our local farmers market. Cattle get extra silage or hay during the winter but I don't have a problem with that. Over here, silage is from grass http://www.ukagriculture.com/crops/silage_making.cfm Pork is different. I get outdoor reared pork from M & S, Waitrose or the farmer's market, but there's no guarantee it hasn't been fed grain. It's worth checking the UK Paleo directory for anything specific you want

http://www.primalbritain.co.uk/paleo-directory/#Scotland good luck

Pam:

I've found a couple of recipes/foods that are total "go-tos" for me.

The first week of my Whole 30 I followed the Well Fed guidelines to do a "cook up" on the weekend. I baked 6 chicken breasts and browned 2 pounds of ground beef. These meats became my building blocks for the week.

I know some people are crazy about filet mignons, but I am more than satisfied with good old ground beef! I love it warmed up in the morning with spaghetti sauce on top (Whole Foods has a fat-free jarred pasta that is 100% compliant). I ate this over pretty much anything: thawed/microwaved broccoli florets, leftover sauteed greens, or cabbage. I used to be the kind of person who could eat two GIANT bowls of pasta or 2 huge squares of lasagne, and what I've realized is that it was the meat and tomato combo that I loved. I can live without the pasta and cheese.

When you roast a bunch of chicken breasts, you can now make chicken salad (I love it with curry powder, paleo mayo, raisins, walnuts). My son likes Caesar salad and there are paleo caesar dressing recipes out there. It can be thrown into a salad with half an avocado mashed. I also eat a 1/2 portion with a serving of nuts before Bikram and a 1/2 portion after.

Martihana (I think that's her user name) turned me on to HOTDOGS! If you look closely, you can find compliant hotdogs. I find that these with a side of spicy mustard are just the ticket for fatty/salt cravings.

And finally, let me sing the praises of egg salad, tuna salad, and salmon patties. All three can be prepared fairly quickly with pantry staples.

I think once you commit, things do get easier. I made it through my Whole30 with potato chips, pop tarts and boston cream pie in the house. Anything is possible. :)

Good luck!

In regards to pork, "grass fed" isn't really the standard we're shooting for. Unlike cattle and sheep, pigs are really (along w chickens) are the animals that eat all the food scraps. They're omnivores and will eat anything, including grains.

We're far more concerned with the treatment of the piggies. Diet is still a player, but treatment ranks higher

Hi Renee (sorry can't do the accent) yes cattle and sheep are always outdoor reared here. We don't have the factory farms, apart from chickens and even that's improving. There have been instances, however, of pigs being kept in pretty inhumane 'stalls' There has been a pretty big outcry about this in the EU which is why places like Waitrose & Marks guarantee 'outdoor reared pork' which is what I go for. As for grains, if it's not organic, I'm just not sure if the pretty stringent rules we have here about GMOs (something I try to avoid like the plague) in food, also apply to animal feed?

Pam: Thanks for the websites, will check them out!

I'm also doing the Well Fed cook-up thing. I used to do this when I was living on my own and super busy, so I can attest to the time it saves during the week! Shopped yesterday and now the fridge is full of beautiful fresh things and more meat than it's seen in a while, which makes my husband and I equally as happy :) I have a new one pot Williams Sanoma cookbook that's surprisingly adaptable to Whole30 with just a few changes. Curry for us tonight :)

Hi Pam,

I just started today. I do not use sugar except in my tea (and cream) so now I will have to go back to herbal teas. I'm willing to give anything a try but 30 days will be my longest attempt. So just take one day at a time and we CAN do this!

Hello SweetFeet! Just read your other post and wanted to welcome another runner and congratulate your success so far! I always hoped running distance races would help me loose that kind of weight, but alas, no such luck :) Halfs are addictive, good luck! I'm a penguin, but can't wait for spring race season to kick off here!

Thanks for advice. Goin to my first farmers market this Saturday :-). Craving sugar tongt as I always to after my evening meal but hoping after a few days it will subside.

Will defo give those recipes a go, not had a hotdog in years haha.

Think the choices for paleo is slightly different in uk, or maybe I'm just making it more difficult.

Easier to make stuff from scratch.

Hope everyone is staying strong and if u could please remind me to drink plenty of water, keep forgetting (off for a glass I go!)

Xx

Archived