March 8 first day

chick256

Hi I am Mary, I just had my 57th birthday and I am a shorty at 5' 1". I am a selective vegetarian which means I eat tilapia and tuna fish. I have a gluten intolerance, allergic to mushrooms, soy and peaches. So this should be easy right? Well having to give up dairy and my rice based breads and such will be difficult, but I want better health, so I am doing this.

I started yesterday, March 8, and even though I thought I was ready, I ran into a little problem on day 1. However, I remedied this and moved successfully on.

My hope is to keep a food journal on my blog. I'm not the best at blogging, it could be months between posts. But that is what I plan to do to keep me motivated. http://warmnwonderful.blogspot.ca/2013/03/facing-new-journey.html?m=1

This is the beginning of the rest of my life.

Hubby and I started today. He is doing it to support me but kept complaining tooday that he is sooo hungry which in terms made me hungry too lol. I feel like we ate enough though. For some reason I am having extreme cravings today! (I have sort of lead a paleo - ish lifestyle for the past month and a half or so, so I should be used to it but today is pretty bad!) Probably because we are in this mind set of can't have this can't have that.... I like the advice of take it one day at a time! I don't want to be a slave to food anymore!! And I want to get healthier! Good luck to everyone! :D

I am on Day 3, and I have had wicked headaches. I was concerned because I had taken Tylonol and it tasted so sweet, I was afraid I'd messed up since there is no sugar allowed. I got a message from Melissa saying all was well and to expect the headaches, it's part of the process.

My dilemma is kind of different. I don't have an appetite. I have always eaten a good breakfast, usually a smoothie, or oatmeal or eggs, and lately when I get up I kind of dread having to eat. My stomach is not hungry. In the book it says to eat within an hour of getting up. That was at 9am this morning. It's 3:45 now and I am trying to eat lunch, but as I said I'm not hungry, and it is had to force it down. I am eating a bite, then waiting 5 minutes and trying again. Just tuna and roasted veggies for lunch. I hope this changes soon.

I know this will get better, and I am grateful I have people to talk to here, because I don't know anyone personally who has done this program.

One good thing is, when I was feeling a bit woozy yesterday, I had a glass of coconut water, and it seemed to help. I have also brewed some lemon ginger tea and put it in the fridge, so that is good for my stomach too.

Hi chick256, I was having the same type of reactions to eating when I started - I am on day 10! For the first time in my life I have to remind myself to eat...whoa!

Reading through the forum, I have found a couple of tips that seemed to have helped with this...first, is drinking lots of water!

I, too, was having a hard time eating breakfast...I was feeling as if I was going to vomit while eating my eggs. Gag. Again, as recommended by many posts in the forum, I started thinking of breakfast as Meal #1, rather than breakfast and tried to get creative with it...I started eating baked butternut squash or a leftover sweet potato with a small handful of proasted pecans a strawberry sliced, or a handful of blueberries and then topped it with homemade almond milk, or coconut milk. I either warm it or eat it cold, depending on whether I am wanting the texture of oatmeal or cereal...right? Get where I am going with this? On the side I eat my eggs...and started eating them hard boiled, or poached rather than scrambled and I cook a piece of meat (bacon, or homemade chorizo/sausage) and avocado. I quickly realized my "nausea" may be caused by the change in my eating and so I started taking a Probiotic Acidophilus capsule every morning with my meal...that helped with the feelings of not wanting to eat.

Also, really good on eggs is an avocado salsa - put one in the blender with two or three small tomatillos (or a small red tomato), a chunk of onion, and a jalapeño - give it a whiz adding a little water, if needed to thin it a little. Then add a touch of salt to taste. This is so good over your eggs and will give you that firey kick you might just need in the a.m.!

My problem is sugar and snacking...so the more I eat at breakfast the better...the less I want to munch at work and the more I can avoid the "donut trap" at work.

I just want to say...keep up the good work...you can do it...it does take the first week to ease into a groove!

My first week was bumpy too!

This week seems to be better!

Good luck!

Thanks for all that great advise Fierroaj. I am trying to think of them as meals. I stayed away from coconut oil yesterday, because I think that is the problem with the 'too full' feeling. It did help, although my apetite is still poor. In fact when I get busy doing something, I don't realise it's time to eat, and I am eating a very strange times. I should probably set an alarm, because I know it's always better to eat meals at the same times each day.

I am eating smaller portions, because I don't want that sick feeling, and I'm worried about protein intake. I had a smoothie this morning, celery, cucumber, spinach, apple, grapes and protein powder. I know we aren't supposed to have them, but I need to get that protein in somehow.

Happy to hear your day 10 is going better. Counting the days has become very important to me!

I was just invited to a pie shop by a friend, and had to decline. Not sure why he invited me, he knows I don't eat gluten ususally.

I'm so happy that I am off for March Break, and don't have to complain to my co workers!!

Day 6. Woo hoo! No headache today! I actually got myself to the gym, and manage 30 minutes on the bike. I also accomplished a number of important tasks today, and even visited a friend. This is huge, since it's been days since I last went outside!

I think I'm turning the corner.

Just completed day 12, and all is going well. I am now back at work, and am having the opposite problem. I am hungry often. I am eating as much as I can at meal times, but a few hours later I am hungry again. I have taken to snacking. For example, today after work I came home and had some butternut squash soup and a boiled egg. I had dinner a couple of hours later, and now a couple more hours later I am hungry again. I will nibble on a few coconut flakes, to fill that void.

I just read that I am in the craving part of the program, perhaps that explains it, maybe I'm not really hungry, I've tried drinking more water, but it doesn't seem to help.

Archived