Riding my own bike is harder than I thought...

mary-t

Wow. Thanks so much for posting. I'm going to bookmark this and re-read it when I get down about AIP or wheat-sensitivity. What you said about it not being able to climb back on the horse after off-roading really struck me. These past few weeks I've been falling off and inning back on over and over--and it's so true that the symptoms experienced by problematic foods make the climbing back on so much harder. It's not just an issue of will.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, thanks, Moluv.  I've been catching up on your log today.  So many good insights.  

As you know, it's an ongoing process, developing a new relationship with food (and with your body's reactions to it).  Two steps forward, one step back.... but the net result is still forward.  

Thanks, Beets.  I've been reading your posts on Moluv's log and on the AIP thread, even though I've not been commenting while traveling.

It's such a vicious cycle when your body starts to react to something, it's so easy to let it turn into a downward spiral and then it's even harder to get back on the path.  It's like having to hit bottom again before you find the determination to clean things up.  But what I'm finding is that my "bottom" is a whole lot more shallow than it used to be; I get off track to a smaller degree because the reactions are much more immediate and stronger.  And I find I miss feeling well even if I'm just slightly off.  I count this as progress.  :)

I anticipate starting my Whole30 tomorrow will be difficult as I have treated my sugar dragon well while on vacation.  And starting last night was kind of a bingey binge for me (returning home and craving carbs after being on planes and in airports, and having to eat nuts to have anything to eat at all).  So I'm in the midst of a reaction to nuts right now.  Ugh.  But, now that I've made my pledge public, I'm hoping that will help me stay on the straight and narrow.  

Day 1 of Whole30 #2 in the books.  I subscribed to the daily emails this time to see if they help me stay on track.  That little link to click if you made it through the day is surprisingly powerful.  :)  So, it's a nice review of ISWF and a good motivator.  Had some cravings today and a bit of a headache.  It's never fun to wait out the effects of food reactions, but things should be getting better from here on out...

Thanks, Calee.  I'm glad that it's helpful to someone!  The AIP is not for the faint of heart, but I can honestly say that it's helped my healing tremendously (even when I struggle to stick to it completely).  ;)  The thing I've learned the most is patience with the healing process....

Day 2 is almost in the books (just dinner left to prepare and eat).  Today was easier simply because a friend dropped by to chat right when I was having my sugar cravings, so it was easy to ignore them.  Kind of saved my day there.  By the time she left, it was time for me to go to several appointments, so I never caved.  Am struggling with giving up gum again, especially when I go to the gym, but I made it through that one too.  So, 28 days to go.  

Day 3 is over and Day 4 is down to just dinner left, so I feel pretty good.  The daily emails have been quite fun; it's been about 4 months since I read ISWF, so the daily dose is great for review and keeping me on track.  Following the food template for the Whole30 has been fairly automatic, so I've really been focusing on the other aspects:  eating with no distractions, no chewing gum, getting lots of sleep, no snacking, and losing the scale.  All have gone well, except for losing the scale.  Have to break that habit!  So, am going to try and string some days together without the scale.  I have no idea why I find seeing that number so reassuring (and sometimes so frustrating)....  

ETA:  Okay, I almost fell apart around dinnertime.  Got lazy, didn't want to cook and carbs were calling my name.  I muddled through with leftovers.  Not the best meal as far as the template went (the veggies got crowded off a bit), but I didn't cave to the cravings and everything was compliant, so I'm calling it good.  

Got through Fourth of July compliant, although it took a lot of willpower to turn down the homemade ice cream.  It helps that my family no longer expects me to be able to eat any of their food (since I always bring my own), so they didn't push the ice cream at all.  And I woke up this morning feeling like I've turned the corner past the first week dragginess, fatigue, headaches, etc.  So, Day 5 in the books, and Day 6 underway.  I'm taking care of my Dad for the next several days, so I brought all of my food with me.  Since he lives outside town, the temptations should be few here.  

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't posted for a while, but am now on Day 15.  Have gotten through the icky stages, but am still waiting for my Tiger Blood to return (last experienced in May before my vacation).  It dawned on me this morning (during my walk) that I'm not eating enough fat at each meal.  Since I've upped my exercise, this is doubly bad, hence the fatigue I've been experiencing since I got back from my trip.  (While on my trip, I fueled myself with sugar!!, hence July's Whole30).  So, I'm going to make sure I get more fat for the next several days to see if that solves the fatigue.

I've worked up to walking 4-6 miles/day at a "moderate" pace; I count my steps with a pedometer.  I've completely backed off of strenuous exercise since starting my Whole30 journey 6.5 months ago.  For the first four months, I just did weightlifting/stretching twice a week (which I've been doing for years, so nothing new), but I removed cardio due to exhaustion.  Since it took me four months to experience Tiger Blood, I decided that was a good decision.  In April, when I started to have more energy, I started walking and have built up gradually.  My body seems to really respond to this approach and my inflammation levels seem to be much lower.  However, I'm now wondering what my next step is (no pun intended).  If my Tiger Blood comes back, am I ready to step up my exertion level (as I can't really increase time due to schedule)?  Or should I continue at my somewhat leisurely pace?  

I do know that I'm going to work in some yoga (free classes at my gym) beginning this week.  I need help with flexibility, and the relaxing meditative qualities of yoga can only help with calming down my overactive immune system.  

Days 15 and 16 in the books.  Have to say that the daily Whole30 emails have been really helpful to staying on track.  A daily dose of inspiration and accountability.  Clicking that another day is in the book keeps me on the straight and narrow.  

For the last couple of days, I've been thinking about how much improved my health is since starting this journey in late December.   Today, starting the second half of my second Whole30, I'm realizing I need to appreciate the results and not allow myself to fret about the slow progress.  So, this starts my 15 days of gratitude!!

The thing I'm grateful for today is that my stamina is so much improved.  For the better part of the last 15 years I've struggled to have the energy to do anything beyond work.  My job took all of my energy and everything else in my life suffered. I was routinely in bed by 8:00, only to drag myself out of bed 11 hours later, still exhausted.  I even considered resigning from my job in my darker moments because I just didn't feel up to the challenge anymore.  And all this even though I consider my job to be my dream job and personally and professionally very rewarding.  The main thing that kept me going some days was my need to retain health insurance (what a crazy world!) and I felt depressed that I couldn't give my students my best effort and attention.  Well, that's changed!  I don't have consistent Tiger Blood, but I do experience it sporadically.  And even when I don't, I have sufficient energy to easily manage daily life.  I'm walking 4-6 miles/day and I enjoy it!  My bedtime has pushed back to between 10-11 (an actual adult time) and I wake up early most mornings without an alarm.  In short, I'm a functioning adult again, and it's good.  :)

Day 17 over and Day 18 in progress!  I must admit that I weighed myself this morning (against the rules!) because I thought I might be getting close to a "landmark" for me.  And I hit it!  Today I weighed exactly 70 lbs. less than my all-time high.  I hit that weight back in 2000 when (not coincidentally) I was diagnosed with Graves disease, which officially kicked off my autoimmune medical history.  Since then, I've been working to get beyond the 50-lb. mark.  Once I made it to 60 (only to gain some back).  So, 70 is huge for me.  And, Whole30 made it happen.  So, that's what I'm grateful for on Day 17. 

Day 18 in the books, walking, swimming, and weightlifting today.  Am so happy I had the energy to do all three in one day.  :)  Although I don't plan on doing that too often.  Homemade chicken broth with dinner as an attempt to up my deposit in my health account.  Just read this article:  http://whole9life.com/2011/09/whole9-health-equation/

and it totally spoke to me.  I feel like I'm finally getting a grasp on my personal health equation and how best to respond to it. 

To keep myself focused on gratefulness, here's my idea for Day 18:  I'm finally learning to appreciate "slow and steady" for exercise instead of pushing myself to do high intensity activity.  All this summer I've focused on relaxation, low-intensity exercise, and sleep.  And it's paid off big. 

Day 19 in the books.  Had some cravings and fatigue today, which tell me that I overdid it yesterday with my exercise (too much, not the intensity).  So, today was a rest day.  Ate a Larabar this afternoon, but then left the house to escape the carb cravings.  They went away, and I feasted on zoodles, spaghetti sauce w/ hamburger, and chicken broth as a side.  

Today I'm grateful for:  Ever since I was diagnosed with Graves Disease in 2000, I've experienced heat intolerance.  High temperatures forced me to hibernate inside in the AC or experience lightheadedness, foggy thinking, and horrible fatigue.  And this summer it's gone!!  I can break a sweat outside and not have any of those symptoms.  It's like I'm finally free to enjoy summer again!  

You are doing great!  I love how detailed your reintros are.  It's so helpful to read how you went about it.  Congrats on hitting the 70 lb mark!

---------

Thanks for dropping in, that's so nice to hear.  And my reintros have become more detailed due to necessity.  ;)  They didn't go well when I tried to rush them or skim over "possible symptoms" because I wanted to keep the food.  I've found out that slow and steady is my best pace!!  It works for food reintroductions, exercise, and learning lessons from my past mistakes!!  :D  

That is so great that you're not feeling the effects of the Graves this summer! What a quality of life change this is for you.

----------

Thanks, Calee.  Since you have thyroid issues, you can probably relate.  When a symptom disappears, it's such a relief.  The heat intolerance, in particular, made me feel old.  I was like a little shut-in 5 months of the year (and during my time off from work).  So, it's like the cage has been opened.   :D

I'm thinking thinky thoughts since my "rest day" yesterday, and I'm hoping putting them in writing will bring me clarity.

I did too much exercise on Wednesday and paid the price yesterday (very fatigued, needed a nap, lethargic all day).  And then this morning, I read some very interesting articles on workout goals and "fitspiration" (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lexie-kite/fitspiration-isnt-inspirational_b_1524706.html?) and being good to yourself (http://whole9life.com/2012/06/be-good-to-yourself-inside-and-out/), and realized that I feel pressured to abandon my slow and steady pace.   And I'm not sure where that pressure is coming from, except for years of learned behaviors simply from functioning in society.  

I've been walking for my main exercise since April.  I started at 20 minutes (which was tiring at the time), but have steadily increased and am now at 60-70 minutes/day.  This, in itself, is a celebration!  And this exercise alone would be okay as I'm not pushing a super brisk pace; it's what I'd describe as moderate walking.  But somewhere along the way my uber-competitive self set a long-term goal of walking 1000 miles by a certain date.  Then, when I returned home from travel, the swimming pool in my neighborhood was calling my name, and suddenly I'm trying to fit in swimming along with the walking (and twice weekly weights, which I've done for forever).  And I wanted to start yoga before semester starts this fall (as I think its meditative effects are greatly needed for me).  

So, my first yoga class was today, and as I'm lying there in my final pose, I thought about the above articles, and thought "What did your body ever do to you to deserve this? Why do you constantly have to cram in one more activity or an extra mile?  Why can't you just let it be?  What does it matter if you walk 1000 miles or 900?  Are you willing to give up yoga or swimming to meet a completely arbitrary number of miles?  What kind of goal makes you feel anxious about fitting in other activities instead of doing what you want to do (like swimming or yoga)?"

It's a good thing we held that pose for a while because my mind was racing.  It was a bit of a breakthrough.  I don't have any answers yet as far as where I go from here.  But I do know the 1000 mile goal is gone, because I want to be able to walk, swim, and do yoga and not fret about the mileage or pushing to surpass my body's limits.  My body has put up with a lot, and 7 months of good food have helped it recover, but it just needs more time.  When it tells me this, I need to listen.  This bombshell is what I'm grateful for today. 

I'm open to any suggestions or input as it looks like I'm considering "goal-less" activity, and I'm not sure what that looks like or how to do it. 

Woke up this morning after sleeping 11 hours.  Felt very groggy and was craving carbs.  It's due to one of the following:  1) reaction to nightshades or green beans, 2) TOM coming, or 3) extinction burst.  So, breakfast was way too late, and it looks like this could be a shaky day Whole30-wise.  Am just going to try and buckle down as I don't want to ruin things on Day 21.  

Whew, made it through Day 21!  Energy came back mid-afternoon and I finished today much more positive than I started it.  Am off to have an epsom salt bath and meditate.  

Today I'm grateful for:  Over the last year or so I developed these swollen bumps on my index fingers.  They were painful and made me very self-conscious about my hands.  My doctor told me that they were some type of cyst and symptomatic of arthritis.  Today they're almost gone on both hands and not painful at all.  It's the little things....

Day 22 is almost in the books, just a compliant dinner to eat (but it's already planned).  Have had a very relaxing weekend; as it turns out, being without a fitness goal seems to work for me.  Who knew?  

Today I'm grateful for:  The Whole30, particularly this second one, has really helped me view my health holistically.  It's been a goal of mine for some time, but the pieces never fell into place until now. I feel like I'm in a really good place, where I make decisions based on what's best for me short- and long-term in lots of areas of my life.  Having this broader view is helping my body heal.  And I'm glad it happened now, so that I can then work on carrying this forward into the new school year. It's always harder once classes start....

Day 23 is done, although I ate a few too many pistachios.  I can consider it a test for nuts, since I've been pretty much AIP (except for eggs) this Whole30.  7 more days.  Have to say I'm ready for a bit more freedom, this Whole30 is less exciting than the first.  Probably because I didn't do that much offroading from March-June.  I feel like my sugar dragon is back firmly under control and that was my main goal (as sugar was my off-road), so now I'm kind of coasting toward the end, twiddling my thumbs.  

Today I'm grateful for:  Seven months of mostly-compliant eating has taught me the ability to choose vegetables, spices, herbs, and a protein, and just randomly mix them together to make something tasty.  I never thought I'd be a "natural" cook, one of those people who instinctively adds a bit more of a particular spice because the dish "needs it".  But I totally am now.  :)

I think it's great that you recognize how much skill you've learned for throwing together good healthy and tasty foods. It's wonderful to read how much you've grown in seven months of making good choices. I look forward to being able to say the same thing.

Congratulations on nearing the end of this W30!

I think it's great that you recognize how much skill you've learned for throwing together good healthy and tasty foods. It's wonderful to read how much you've grown in seven months of making good choices. I look forward to being able to say the same thing.

Congratulations on nearing the end of this W30!

------------

Thanks, Calee.  I have to say I'm glad to be near the end.  :)   I just hope I can keep the good choices going once school starts.

Day 24 is over.  Kind of an unexciting day, bit of carb cravings this afternoon, so I made sure to have a sweet potato at supper.  Am still trying to figure out my food needs with more exercise.  

What I'm grateful for today:  I've been focused this Whole30 on improving my sleep routine.  I wasn't a poor sleeper before, but I was waking up more and more, and having a bit of late night insomnia (between 2-4 am).  I'm not sure if it was due to my traveling (15-hour time difference for 5 weeks) or what.  Anyway, the more I've read about recovery, the more I'm convinced that it's what will get me better.  So, I decided to tackle my sleep habits.  I've been leaving the electronics alone by 7:30 p.m.  The first couple of evenings I literally didn't know what to do with myself.  :)  Now I look forward to it.  I've started doing a bit of meditation before bed, and am going to start listening to guided imagery podcasts to help with that.  I lowered the thermostat so that it's cooler.  I've also been setting an alarm and placed it on the other side of the room, so I get up at the same time everyday and to have to get up to turn it off.   And just this week I'm back to waking up before my alarm.  Progress!! 

Day 25 done! 

Today I'm grateful for:  I lift weights with a trainer.  Today was his last day as he is moving, so we did fitness tests to see how I've done since February.  Every single test was much improved, even the 12-min run (which I hate doing).  :)

Archived