Riding my own bike is harder than I thought...

mary-t

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^thats awesome!

--------

Thanks, Moluv.  I didn't know how they'd come out because I've really scaled back my workouts and focused on slow and easy.  And, BOOM, improvement everywhere.  I think for me recovery time is THE most important thing I do.  It just took a while to get it to sink in.  :)

Day 26 in the books.  Kind of struggled today with fatigue and hunger, so not my most balanced food day, but compliant.  

Today I'm grateful for:  My new yoga classes are fantastic.  If I could bottle how I feel when class ends and sell it....  Or if I could just feel like that all day.  That's what I'm hoping for in the future (after more months of practice).  In the meantime, I didn't realize that my body could feel so relaxed and pain-free.

Day 27 done and Day 28 in progress.  2.5 more days.  No big plans for re-intro, but might have a bit of ice cream in honor of summer.  This past 10 days I tested nuts and nightshade spices (this has been an AIP Whole30 except for eggs).  Broke my own rule and tested them too close together.  Now I've had a reaction for several days (bloating, lethargy) and no idea which one caused it.  So, I removed both yesterday and will try them one at a time sometime.

After seven months of eating paleo and backing off on cardio, I feel 100% better (although I still have a mix of good and bad days).  But I've never been able to break my scale habit.  Well, I'm taking drastic steps today:  My scale is going to a friend's house two hours away for the next month.  I've finally realized that the number does not really tell me anything, but I still want to see it.  And that's getting in the way of looking at my health holistically.  So, I'm trying this for the month of August.  

What I'm grateful for (Day 27): My fingernails and toenails are the picture of health--strong, good color, grow quickly.

What I'm grateful for (Day 28): I'm glad that I'm learning to enjoy the process of getting healthier rather than being focused on some nebulous end product.  Yoga is helping with that as well as my slow-and-steady-cardio efforts.  The scale30 should help with that.  And I think making myself think of what I'm grateful for has helped these last two weeks.  

Finished my Whole30 while traveling (actually, it turned into a Whole32).  So, starting today I'm riding my own bike again.  Had some maple syrup  on paleo pancakes for breakfast, but otherwise compliant.  Am still trying to decide what to do with re-introduction, so for now am just following the template with some sugar thrown in.  

Saw a group of friends this week that I'd not seen for several months.  Every single one of them told me how great I looked, how healthy and glowing, how much weight I'd lost, etc.  It was quite fun!!  And really reinforced for me that I need to stay away from the scale and use other forms of feedback to judge my progress. 

• 1 month later...

Well, August was a challenge.  Work started up with a bang, 12-hours days for weeks.  Then I decided to test seeds and nuts and the wheels gradually came off.  Sugar crept back in (and not even in ways that were worth it).  Fatigue has been getting worse, inflammation creeping back up, stiffness in joints.  All told, it didn't take much to cause a "lighter" version of all of my old symptoms.  So, my solution?  Start another Whole30.  This is Day 1.  Am going to try seven days of AIP, and then introduce nightshades (which I don't think are a problem) in Week 2.  My main goal for this W30 is to get my sugar dragon back under control and to come to peace with no nuts and seeds.  Here's to a good September!

Two days down, and already feeling much better.  Cravings today for sugar were manageable, but inflammation levels are still higher than I'd like.  I think they'll improve a lot over the next couple of AIP days as I get further from this most recent autoimmune flare.  

I noticed a surge in my symptoms on Monday and it dawned on me this morning that it was due to having a serving of cheese on Sunday.  Painful eczema on my legs, inflamed tendons and joints in my hands, and general stiffness.  Don't know if I would have "flared" this badly without having started down the road with nuts and seeds these last few weeks.  But for now I know that dairy is definitely not my friend.  Now that I'm Whole30ing again, that's not a problem. But I'll need to decide in the long run if I want to formally test it  (I've only had two servings of dairy in the last 15-20 months so I don't exactly miss it now).  

Four days of AIP complete and I'm starting to feel better!  Am planning to do three more days of AIP and then adding in the nightshades.  But I'm not in any hurry, will wait to get my high energy levels back before I stray from AIP.  :)  I'm pretty relaxed about this Whole30, the cravings are already greatly diminished and I'm slipping comfortably into established patterns.  So, that's pretty nice.  

Am winding up Day 6 of my Whole30, have been doing AIP.  It has taken this long for my reaction to dairy to go away.  Still have some inflammation in my hands and general fatigue, but bloat and general ickiness is gone.  Stepped up my sw. potato intake today to try and get some energy going.  Had strong cravings today, but was able to get past them without caving.  Hopefully, extra carbs will help with those too.  

Am going to try and get back into my walking routine starting tomorrow (my work schedule really upset my routine the last four weeks).   Still waiting for my energy levels to be higher, but I'm no longer dragging at the end of my day.  Have one more day of my planned-AIP, then will have to decide if I want to start testing nightshades.  My brother's family brought me homegrown tomatoes, banana peppers, and jalapenos today, so I'm set to test them!  Homemade pico de gallo!!!  Yum!  But need to make sure that my body has re-established equilibrium before I try them.  

So, 7 AIP days done and I feel much better.  Am going to continue AIP through tomorrow and then test nightshades on Tuesday.  Still waiting for energy to come, but at least no longer feel like I need a nap.  The cravings came and went a bit this past week, but I think that was due to a reaction to bacon.  Once I took it out, the next day no more cravings.   Who knew that eliminating nuts, seeds, and bacon would help the sugar dragon go back into its cave?  Am hoping that my energy will greatly increase this week.  Am also hoping for little PMS this week as I think everything is in better balance.  All in all, pretty optimistic!

Just finishing up Day 11 and am on a good roll.  Started testing nightshades on Day 9, so have eaten them for three days.  Only possible reaction so far is a bit of congestion, but very minor.  I've actually felt pretty chipper this week as my energy levels have returned.  Not quite Tiger Blood, but pretty darn good.  :) 

Tiger blood kicked in on Monday and I've felt great this week.  Having this kind of energy is elusive for me, basically everything has to be in perfect balance.  So I try to enjoy it while it lasts.  I'm on Day 9 of testing nightshades and all seems to be well.  The congestion that I feared was the beginning of a reaction was actually (I think) me fighting off a cold. This is pretty amazing as I get bronchitis or pneumonia 2-3 times/year.  My immune system usually doesn't fight anything but my own cells, so I'm excited by this development.  :)  

I've also managed to get my exercise back on track after losing the battle with work hours.  My workouts this week have been fantastic and it feels so good to be able to push my body and not feel wrecked afterwards.  So, my third Whole30 (today is Day 17) seems to be working even more magic than the first two.  I've come to the conclusion that my body needed time, lots and lots of time (I'm coming up on nine months of trying to live Whole9), but progress really has been made.  It's slow, but it's all good.  And that's a pretty awesome feeling.  

• 2 weeks later...

Well, finished my Whole30 yesterday; feel like I got a nice re-set after summer travels and  work hitting hard at the beginning of the school year.  Learned that I can tolerate nightshades quite well, but I can't eat nuts still.  This was my third Whole30 in nine months, so now that I'm feeling better on a consistent basis, am going to lay off for a while.  Might do another in February, but will depend on my travel schedule.  

I decided I wanted to do a challenge of a different sort for October:  mindfulness.  In particular, I'm going to focus on my use of the internet/entertainment.  Want to limit the mindless surfing and focus more on my immediate world.  So, I'll be a sporadic poster if all goes according to plan.  :)  

Archived