Girl Scout Cookies

Meganelizabetho

I almost punched one of my actors the other day at rehearsal as she sat there eating a sleeve of Thin Mints.... :ph34r:

(kidding....kind of) I'm happy to say I resisted the cookies and punching her! This might be the first time EVER that I have passed up Thin Mints...

My daughter will start selling them soon and am kinda torn. I mean in Canada we only get the mint ones in the fall and the vanilla ones in the spring. They are FULL of crap (even though the recipe for the ones we get here is different and they are much less sweet) and I am so against it. I don't get why the GS pushes something that is so bad for you. I really don't want her sellling them at the same time though I want her to be part of it all and to support the GS. Believe it or not I had never had the mint ones before she started and I do admit they are yummy, especially when kept in the freezer. I don't really think I'll have an urgency to taste the vanilla ones but it's mostly the idea of having CRAP in the house that bothers me. Sorry....venting. @ Megan, hope you resisted!

I totally get that, Evelyn. I'm cleaning out my pantry and I feel bad throwing away "food", but I feel bad giving away "crap." As for the cookies, there was a troop in my home state that was selling boxes to send to our troops. I could see them really appreciating that and would definitely buy boxes for them and to support the girls.

On the other hand, we were challenged to vote with our food dollars. I wonder if we can come up with ideas of sustainable ways that GS can raise money and start sharing the mission of healthy choices with the leadership.

Ugh, I always feel so guilty saying no to the Girl Scouts. They set up their table right outside my grocery store and I feel so bad! But I don't want to buy them just to give away all that sugar to someone else to suffer the health consequences of it. I've really been thinking about just giving them money when I pass...

As a mom to 2 Girl Scouts, I can honestly say I despise cookie season! Our troops only make $0.65 on a box that sells for $4.00. That's what, less than 20 percent? What a joke!

Next year, I will write a check to the troop for the amount they would have made from my child's cookie sales, and decline selling.

I'm cleaning out my pantry and I feel bad throwing away "food", but I feel bad giving away "crap."

On the other hand, we were challenged to vote with our food dollars.

TOTALLY!!!! That's the problem! I have stuff in my basement (out of site) that we won't be eating and I feel bad throwing it out but feel just as bad giving it to someone else knowing it's so bad for them! What do you do???

As far as the GS cookies.... just giving the $ is probably a good idea. But I think writting to the GS head of fundraising is needed as well. My friend wrote in and got a bullshit response but if more and more parents of GS girls write in, maybe they'll eventually listen and find a more healthy option.

Ugh, I always feel so guilty saying no to the Girl Scouts. They set up their table right outside my grocery store and I feel so bad! But I don't want to buy them just to give away all that sugar to someone else to suffer the health consequences of it. I've really been thinking about just giving them money when I pass...

This is what the hubs and I do. We just give them $10 and tell them no thank you on the cookies. They never have a problem with that ;)

This is what the hubs and I do. We just give them $10 and tell them no thank you on the cookies. They never have a problem with that

Omg...genius. So much better than scoping out which door they are in front of, slipping into disguise and using the other door.

Archived