French's Yellow Mustard

Ancestral Foodie

Hi, I've read the back of this product and I think it's fine, however it lists "flavouring" as an ingredient. I've gone onto the website and it states "natural flavour", but I'm not sure what this is. Can anyone tell me if this is Whole30 approved? It's great for putting on homemade beef burgers, so I'll get gutted to find out it's a no-no!

Thanks for your help...

I excluded it from my whole 30 bc I couldn't figure out what exactly "natural flavor" was. I got annie's brand mustard that lists all approved ingredients. Although it was expensive (4.50) a bottle, I didn't want to risk it for mustard. I will do the French's after the 30. Hopefully someone can chime in with an exact answer. Lot's of things list "natural flavor" as ingredients...

• Moderators

I don't worry about "natural flavor." When I am in a restaurant, I like to put French's yellow mustard on grilled chicken. I use something else at home, but like to smear yellow mustard on pork chops near the end of cooking.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I have found French brand mustard in Australia...I have read that it's approved, I just wanted to check that 'vegetable oil' is a standard ingredient in it. I know vegetable oil isn't technically non-Whole30, but the rules do say to not use it at home...does having it as an ingredient of French brand mustard count? Thanks! :) 

Hi, I have found French brand mustard in Australia...I have read that it's approved, I just wanted to check that 'vegetable oil' is a standard ingredient in it. I know vegetable oil isn't technically non-Whole30, but the rules do say to not use it at home...does having it as an ingredient of French brand mustard count? Thanks! :)

If vegetable oil is listed as an ingredient I would not use that mustard. I've never heard of such a thing. I'm sure you can find a mustard without it.

I pour it on top of my tuna when i eat it out of the can after my gym workouts.  it's one of the only things that helps me choke the tuna down besides home made mayo.  but i don't use the mayo after workout due to wanting to limit the fat intake after the workout.  

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
The label on the French's Classic Yellow Mustard states:

"Distilled vinegar water, #1 grade mustard seed , salt, tumeric, paprika, spice, natural flavors and garlic powder."

So thought it was Whole30 compliant; however, google lists the ingredients as shown below and includes Sugar and High Fructose Corn syrup and other ingredients that don't look good.

Are all the labels on other products this misleading or why doesn't French's have to list the other ingredients.  

Thanks

SUGAR, DISTILLED VINEGAR,WATER, 31 GRADE MUSTARD SEED, SOY SAUCE (WATER, WHEAR, SOYBEANS, SALT), AGED CAYENNE PEPPERS, SALTMODIFIED FOOD STARCH, APPLE CIDER VINEGAR,TOMATO PASTE, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, NATURAL HICKORY SMOKE FLAVOR, TUMERIC,CORN SYRUP, PAPRIKA, OLEORESIN PAPRIKA(COLOR), SPICES, MOLASSES, GARLIC ...

Mustard - French's

www.frenchs.com/products/mustard/

• Moderators

This is precisely why we tell people to look at the label of the item they are wanting to consume.  Maybe they have a different version for a different part of the country, maybe they changed their recipe etc... if your own bottle is what is in your quotes at the top, you're good to go.  

This is not misleading in the way that I think you are thinking it is.  A food manufacturer CANNOT lie on the label, they cannot put ingredients IN the package that are not ON the label, so whatever is on google is from 'something' but you can absolutely trust the label on the product in your hand.

• Moderators

Also, after actually reading through all these ingredients you say google listed, that doesn't actually sound like a mustard at all... soy sauce, tomato past, smoke flavor and at least four different kinds of sugar... bbq sauce maybe??

Found it!  These ingredients are for their BBQ Mustard

http://www.frenchs.com/products/mustard/bbq-mustard/

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
1 minute ago, AlainaJ said:

But, what is in the "natural ingredient"? It's vague. 

Do you mean 'natural flavors'?  Yes it's vague but they're not required to tell you exactly what the flavors are... you could email them and ask but I suspect 'proprietary' would be in their answer... 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, AlainaJ said:

Ok, so I guess we should stay away from any mustard that states natural ingredients?

Not at all. Natural flavours are not excluded on Whole30. Your choice if you want to consume them or not.

• 1 year later...

Archived