Sirloin, Ribeye, and Chuck, oh my!

SwedishFish

Hi friends!

I am an ex-vegetarian (meep!) and am very clueless in the red meat world. Yesterday I went to Whole Foods to grab some grass-fed, local, happy cow beef and was overwhelmed by the selection. I picked up a sirloin steak but have no idea what to do with it!

Can someone give me a quick primer as to the different parts of the cow and what it is best suited for?

Thank you!

A sirloin steak can be grilled with seasoning and enjoyed as is. It's our go-to steak cut because it's very versatile. It's fairly lean, so you'll want to cook it as little as possible, but it can hand "well done". You can choose to marinate it, after which you can cook it and slice it thinly over a green salad.

A sirloin tip is a different matter and must be marinated to be enoyable, or slow-cooked.

There are cheaper, leaner cuts of meat, but if you're aiming toward a steak, you did a great job choosing!

Can someone give me a quick primer as to the different parts of the cow and what it is best suited for?

This site seems to have some good info. It's an Australian site so if you're elsewhere they might use slightly different terms (Scotch fillet here in Australia = ribeye in some other places).

My main steak tip for your sirloin is to salt it well before pan-frying it HOT. It makes SO much difference to the flavour.

I would also advise you get some shin/gravy beef/chuck to stew (gravy beef is my favourite cut). Brown in a pan first (and I mean brown the surface, not cook through) then stew on a stove top (I use several different recipes) on low heat for 2-3 hours. Delicious, and those cuts are usually cheaper! I make a big batch and put the rest in the fridge or freezer for when I want a quick meal.

Archived