How much starchy veg for "semi-active" woman?

moggle

I'm wondering how much starchy veg I should be eating. I'm "semi-active" according to my interpretation of ISWF

I'm towards the bottom of my healthy weight range for my height.

My body fat % is around 25-26%

I have been whole30/paleo for 4-5 months, and I'm mostly over my addiction to bready carbs and hopefully fat-adapted

I work in retail (standing & walking) 15 hours a week

I walk for 30 mins, 2.2km, most days

I run 5k or swim 1k+ once a week

I lift reasonably heavy (eg barbell squatting a bit over half my bodyweight) weights once a week, a 30-45 minute session. I haven't been as consistent with this lately but I aim to get back on track with it.

I'm currently aiming to eat a 1/2 to 3/4 fist sized portion of starchy veg (sweet potato, carrot, parsnip, pumpkin etc) with every meal.

I'm clear about the post workout meal & carbs/starchy veg as part of that, but I'm unsure of how much I should be having on a daily basis.

Thanks in advance!

I'm afraid there isn't a simple answer to this one. 1/2-3/4 fist sized sounds fine, if you feel good eating this way. If you feel like it's not enough, try having more for a day or two. If you feel it is too much, you could limit this to post-workout, and have smaller servings at other meals, but honestly: this is an individual thing. If you are a guy you could even experiment without any starchy carbs at all, but most women do not do well that way at all. doing what you are doing is good. don't worry. :)

I'm afraid there isn't a simple answer to this one. 1/2-3/4 fist sized sounds fine, if you feel good eating this way. If you feel like it's not enough, try having more for a day or two. If you feel it is too much, you could limit this to post-workout, and have smaller servings at other meals, but honestly: this is an individual thing.

I'm afraid there isn't a simple answer to this one. 1/2-3/4 fist sized sounds fine, if you feel good eating this way. If you feel like it's not enough, try having more for a day or two. If you feel it is too much, you could limit this to post-workout, and have smaller servings at other meals, but honestly: this is an individual thing. If you are a guy you could even experiment without any starchy carbs at all, but most women do not do well that way at all. doing what you are doing is good. don't worry. :)

Is there a reason women don't do well this way? Is it anatomy or psychological?

Is there a reason women don't do well this way? Is it anatomy or psychological?

I don't think it is anatomy exactly, and certainly not psychology, but moreso differences in the endrocine systems of men and women. It's pretty complex, and I don't call myself an expert by any stretch, but it seems that women's hormones/adrenals, etc. don't respond as well to super low carb or intermittent fasting, as men's systems do. At any rate, each individual is different, so please feel free to experiment with your own carb levels, etc. and see what works best for you. Stephani Rupert (www.paleoforwomen.com) has some interesting things to say on this topic if you want to dig deeper.

Archived