post whole30, refrigerated coconut milk?

Jenn B

I completed a compliant 30 days. i have no need to reintroduce and have decided to continue (for the most part) with the 30 day regime, not counting, now on day 34-35ish.

I have decided to reintroduce 1/2 to one cup of So brand unsweetened milk. Not out of cravings, but out of a desire to be "regular"(is this considered emotional eating?) I drank this every morning for over two years and my digestive track did not miss a beat. Day one back on coconut milk and my body is already regulated. I understand I need to give it a week or so to see if there are side effects (so far no issues), however, two questions reside (ingredients listed below):

1) I have read Melissa's reply about carrageenan, I have read the book, and I am still not quite clear on the issues with this agent. is this something people are predisposed to and others simply are not? or am I cluttering my gut unnecessarily and i am slowly creating my bodies demise and destroying my immune system? how big of a deal is this drink 1x per day in the big scheme of my days/weeks?

2) the other ingredients i cannot pronounce: calcium phospate, magnesium phosphate, vitamin a palmitate, vitamin d-2-, l-selenomethionine, zinc oxide, folic acid, vitamin b-12. what are these, where do these stand as gut destroyers or not?

3) Is there a go to list provided (that i may have missed in the book) of acceptable and not acceptable additives? sulphite vs. sulphate, phospate... when standing in the store reading a lable, i can never seem to remember what's okay and what is not! having a printed list would be nice.

I appreciate someones ability to transpose this information into layman's terms. I do not do well with chemistry, science type readings.

Ingredients: ORGANIC COCONUT MILK (ORGANIC COCONUT CREAM, WATER, GUAR GUM), CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE, CARRAGEENAN, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, VITAMIN D-2, L-SELENOMETHIONINE (SELENIUM), ZINC OXIDE, FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN B-12.

• Moderators

Carageenan is nasty stuff. Don't ever eat it. Never. You may not feel the effect it has on your gut, but it is doing its nasty thing regardless.

Here is a snippet from Wikipedia: Scientists have raised serious concerns about the safety of carrageenan in food, based on laboratory animal studies showing gastrointestinal inflammation, ulcerations and colitis-like disease in animals given food-grade carrageenan in their drinking water or diet.[2][3][4] Some physicians advise avoiding consumption of foods with carrageenan, especially for people with gastrointestinal symptoms.[5]

I am convinced, and actually was able to return the container to whole foods. i did some searching on my own and found the following link on carrageenan (which was very easy to understand) from a study done in 2012.

http://www.drweil.co...eenan-Safe.html

Thank you for the link, it explains a lot. I've cleaned up my eating, and now I'm working toward cleaning up my children's. This looks like a big one to watch for.

• 1 month later...

so have you found "dairy" coconut milk without carageenan? I am on Day 19, round 1, so I am a major newbie, the differences in the coconut milk are very confusing! I have seen coconut milk, lite coconut milk, both with very different nutritional values. Is there a coconut milk primer anywhere?

What do you mean, "dairy" coconut milk? Do you mean it's similar to regular milk (like something that would make a decent beverage)?

There isn't a primer anywhere that I've seen. From what I've found at the store and read from other posters, anything in a cardboard carton is a no-go. I think all you'll see as far as canned milk goes is lite or regular - supposedly lite is regular milk with water added, so it's not a good buy.

99 cents?!? Man, why do I keep forgetting about Trader Joe's.

They also have a full fat but it has blechy stuff in it and I don't like the flavor at all. Renee okay'd it so nothing non compliant but it has a murky flavor to me.

Jenny B, post whole30, I found that I cannot tolerate dairy milk. I got congested, coughed, sneezed my way through the entire day following the reintroduction of milk. I waited a few days, and then tried unsweetened almond milk (I bought Whole Foods 365 organic, but there are several different ones in the case both at Whole Foods and my regular supermarket that were carrageenan free). I have made an iced latte with the almond milk and it tastes "normal" enough for me. I was glad that whole30 helped me to pinpoint my issues with dairy--I have felt great right from the start of the whole30, so I suspected that reintroduction was going to be interesting!

Archived