It's HOT! What's good to not cook?

kayell

Last night I had Nicoise salad minus the potatoes. The only cooking was 4 minute microwave of the green beans. That's about all I'm up for with the heat index heading above 100F today and no AC. Suggestions?

We've really had such a mild year so far, but this heat....Ugh. And of course, it's really the humidity. There is hope and more cool days in the near future at least. If we survive!

I'm thinking I'll just thaw some shrimp and throw them on top of a huge heap of raw veg. Can't even bear to think of heating something long enough to cook a burger.

I like making cucumber salad, chop up cucumbers into bite size pieces, add diced red onions, dill, S&P, some vinegar, and home made mayo. You could add tomatoes also. Chill and serve cold. I like to serve it with pulled pork.

Chicken salad, tuna salad, shrimp salad - if you have them cooked already, easy as pie (but healthier than pie!!).

We had a cold salad the other night that was really yummy: shrimp, avocado, mango & jicama with lime juice and olive oil. Add other spices to taste.

@jrustdc That shrimp salad sounds wonderful.

We tend to cook batches of meat once a week, and, when it's too hot to bother, we throw those on salads -- mixed greens with slivered almonds, shredded carrots, bell peppers, sliced avocado, and whatever else we have handy with a homemade vinaigrette of some kind. Chicken or shrimp with that is great.

I hear you on the heat thing. I live in Louisiana and it is hot! Here is something I made last week that I liked a lot. (You can sub canned salmon or roast chicken for the sardines.)

Sardine Salad in Lettuce Wraps

1 can of sardines

red grapes, halved

celery, sliced

pecans, chopped

dollop of homemade mayo

Mix it all together and wrap it up in bibb lettuce leaves. Yummy and cool!

• 2 weeks later...

A new take on tuna salad! I know, it sounds weird, but it's actually really awesome served over a bed or arugula or lettuce. Plus, it's quick and easy.

1 can of tuna

homemade mayo

chopped pecans

finely chopped jalepeno

diced black olives

salt & pepper

Archived