Moluv's IBS Protocol Long Haul

Moluv

EDITED TO ADD: I STOPPED THE IBS PROTOCOL SHORT AND SWITCHED OVER TO AIP AND STARTED A NEW LOG: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/8478-moluvs-aip/

It's been 40 something days since I started W30 and I'm happy to say that even though I still haven't completed a WHOLE W30, I have not eaten outside the rules once on purpose. There were two restaurant mysterious headaches- but I have no idea what that was. And there was also that time (or 3) that I used noncompliant fish sauce. I have already reeled many rewards from this program- the greatest of which is the ability to love myself enough to provide excellent nutrition to myself and keep myself from harming myself that foods that I know are bad for me. During this 40odd days, I know once and for all that NUTS AND COFFEE ARE AS BAD FOR

ME AS GLUTEN. havent touched gluten in 6 months- awesome- so let's try that with nuts and coffee (and chocolate too). I'm suffering through a major flare up after trying to have coffee and nuts this week after not eating them for a couple of weeks. No big shocker, it wrecked my gut. Bloatcity! Brainfog! Sleepless!

My IBSP Menu for the week (Sunday cookup style):

Baked sweet potatoes

Mashed yucca root

Turnip fritter

Butternut Squash

Mayo

Meatballs

Various Cultured Vegetables

Pretty repetitive and simple- not a lot of spices, but I find this combination satisfying and nourishing.

The book suggests 6 months on IBS protocol. Here goes!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just curious, how do you make your mayo on the IBS protocol? I am doing the IBS/AI, so no eggs. Good job by the way! I'm on day 59 and still going for a while longer :)

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but as I understand it, IBS protocol removes nuts, seeds, coffee, and has special instructions for produce. The AIP goes a step further and removes whole eggs and egg whites, nightshades, ghee and NSAIDs. That says to me egg yolks are allowed. Those categorizing themselves as IBS sufferers can follow just the IBSP, whereas those with IBD (Chrohn's, Ulc Colitis) must adopt both protocols. Either way, I think egg yolks are ok if tolerated. I hope this is the case for me as the mayo is my only delicacy. I will pick up AIP if I think I need it.

Day 0:

Meal 1: ground beef skillet w/ caraway kraut

Meal 2: leftover beef with sweet potato

Meal 3: you guessed it, more beef, this time with herb de Provence, coconut aminos, horseradish leek kraut and baked sweet potato.

I ate all of the fat from the meat but didn't add any other kind of fat.

Drinks: water, ginger beet kvass with sparkling mineral water, 2 glasses of coconut water.

Best of luck moluv! I started 21 days without coffee and nuts and coconut yesterday so will follow along! Detox headache yesterday and still quite bloated today but improving... Thanks for explaining the diff between Aip and ibs protocol.... I am probably doing a modified ibs, going to try some spices but not too often.

Thanks Juzbo! I'm leery of spices too. Luckily my tastes have already changed so much I really can enjoy my food with just salt and even that is much less. I used herb de Provence thinking that is only leaves- no seeds- seems to be ok. This morning I woke up and all of my bloat was gone- what a long miserable week of tenderness. Ugh. I hope never again.

Day 1

Meal 1: ground beef with herb de Provence and coconut aminos, sea salt. Plain sauerkraut.

Meal 2: leftover breakfast meat w/ canned butternut squash and smoked jalapeño sauerkraut

Meal 3: meatballs w/ dried spinach flakes and onion powder, mayo, butternut squash with ghee and jalapeño kraut.

Even though I ate the exact same food for every meal today, each meal felt really different. Different settings, different dishes, different flavor profiles and my dinner meat was shaped like a sphere instead of a blob. Taking note of the simple changes in my food presentation helps alleviate potential boredom with a mono-diet. Once I've noticed significant improvement in my digestion (2 or 3 poops a day, good ones on the Bristol stool chart) for a period of time that's when I feel like I'll have a good baseline for testing adding back more fibrous vegetables or testing FODMAPS. Until then, root vegetables and fermented everything else.

Happy to report 2 excellent BM s today.

For drinks I had: water, Kombucha, san pellegrino

Please don't delete it- I relish poop talk. In fact, I think there should be a whole section in the forum for pooptalk so people would feel more comfortable about and the squeamish could steer clear. I just had a revelation about how to measure my true health- that can't be done in the mirror or on the scale- when I was thinnest I was a toxic cesspool- so for me the real reflection of my true health is what I see in the toilet everyday.

Now I have not been diagnosed with IBS but I've also never really spent much time at the dr. I tend more toward the stomach/intestinal pain, bloating and constipation than the watery stools but I think the irritants can be the same. Curry is a bunch of ground up seeds. Seeds of all kinds can be very disruptive, so yeah, I would lay off the curry. Also, coconut is maybe or maybe not high in FODMAPS- I can't get a straight answer on that.

I really only do really well eating a super simple diet- committing to that for a long time has taken some soul searching and prioritizing.

I'm curious what you eat daily? Do you have a food log?

Thanks, yeah I'm the same re coconut and fodmaps but it does seem to mess with me if I have more than a tiny amount. The oil seems to be okay. I'm not hundred percent sure about ghee either but the fats are supposed to be ultra good anti inflammatories so I am persisting.

Here is my current log.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/7958-21-days-to-awesome/page__fromsearch__1

I am having small amounts of fodmap fruits so watching that closely.

Here is my original whole30

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/4559-whole-30-melbourne-down-under-style/page__hl__melbourne__fromsearch__1

I just had a revelation about how to measure my true health- that can't be done in the mirror or on the scale- when I was thinnest I was a toxic cesspool- so for me the real reflection of my true health is what I see in the toilet everyday.

I'm so happy to hear I'm not alone in analyzing the quality of each bm. It's my true meter for how my body is handling the food (that and the bloating). But you really can't mention that to too many people.... :)

Day 2:

Meal 1: ground beef w/ herb de Provence and sea salt, mashed sweet potato and butternut squash with coconut aminos, coconut water

Meal 2: exactly the same as meal 1 with the addition of plain sauerkraut and a Kombucha

Meal 3: the last few bites of meal 2

Meal 4: came home from work and my husband had made a ground beef skillet with peppers and onions and garlic (FODMAP surprise!) which I was thankful for despite having to graciously explain that I was picking out the veg so I didn't turn into a belching farting ogre later, which he was thankful for. Heated up some sweet potato mash and had some spicy dill kraut as well. Drank coconut water, which almost tastes too good to be compliant.

Also drank some glasses of water during the day.

Had two excellent BM today- shortly after

breakfast and lunch. That's the best digestion I've had for as long as I can remember.

Saw a client today who I last saw 4 weeks ago just after I started w30 and was telling everyone about it. As she was leaving my office she said "oh how's that diet thingie you were doing, you sure are gettig a tight little booty". That was so nice to hear- especially since I am so focused on whether my belly is swollen so much I forget about my booty. I went shopping later and bought a North Face fleece vest 2 sizes smaller than the last one I bought at Christmastime. Then I bought some batteries for my scale and have gained 2 lbs since I weighed 3 weeks ago (not addicted- wanted a baseline for starting IBSP) and I just scoffed at the scale's utter ignorance as to the real situation going on up there above it's unknowing little LCD screen. Not that it's relevant in any big way- I'll just post for the sake of sharing- I am 5'6" 154 lbs, large frame.

So I'm just really feelig good about the IBSP and myself in general in regards to my healing path.

Sorry to hear... Well not really, I was jealous for a moment, I can't eat any dishes that have been near garlic without getting fairly immediate stomach pains, onion is even worse... I have had to train hubby to put chopping boards with onion juice on them straight into the dishwasher!

But seriously I did feel sad that your day and diet got stuffed up by a well meaning partner... Hard to see that one coming.

It was pretty shocking to see how crummy I felt (also got a mild headache) from just the tiny amount. I was trying to be nice and eat what he cooked to encourage him to keep helping out. But next time, he and the kids can eat what he makes and I'll just cook my own. I already know better than to eat stuff I know I shouldn't just for the sake of not hurting people's feelings.

Oh to be normal though! I got so excited when I found compliant bacon after four months without. As soon as I had the first mouthful I 'knew' it had garlic in. I decided to eat it anyway untill it was gone. Four days of stomach aches and wind. The manufacturers confirmed they do add garlic... Listed as spices.... I have found a bacon that is smoke cured with no spices and no bad additives except for less than 1 g of sugar per 100 g... I am seriously thinking of having some....

Moluv, I am so glad that you are committing to the IBS protocol and giving others who experience IBS like myself a glimpse at its reality. I am on day 4 of my second consecutive W30, although my first one had many "oops" moments along the way, including realizing that I likely cannot tolerate coconut. I am realizing that nuts are probably contributing to my bloat. I feel your pain, as I am hyperbloated today, and have been bloated the past few days, with irregular BMs (I am also a proponent of health monitoring by way of poop). I've been eating eggplant strata the past few days, but I found that I was also doing better when eating mostly meatballs and steering away from seed-based spices ... I will miss them, at least initially. Sunday and Monday I also had some citrus carnitas leftover from my weekend cookup. I haven't been eating it as frequently, but I guess I'll have to cut out citrus, too ... after I finish the rest of what I cooked. I did find I had an almost immediate tummyache in the middle of my first W30 on a day that I had a few samples of clementines and mandarins at Whole Foods.

Thanks for your support pdecks, I appreciate the company. I've suspected nuts, coffee, and coconut flesh as bloaters and will avoid them for a while bit as soon as I get well I try to retest and THEY ALWAYS FAIL. When I started w30 I was trying to break that pattern with rice and corn and I succeeded. The IBSP is a way to break myself of nuts and coffee once and for all. And to discover whatever else may be an irritant for me. I welcome the knowledge. I'm no longer afraid of finding out that I can't eat or drink something that I love (lemon pepper, cashew butter). I used to think it was worth it, just a little bloating or gas, what's the big deal. But the more the science of gut integrity is sinking in, I realize that I could be setting myself up for a miserable old age. And of course I want to be my happiest and healthiest RIGHT NOW TOO. I'm not sure where I'm going with this, I feel like I'm rambling- but I notice a common thread among people with digestive disorders (I have several clients with celiacs, IBS that I talk to at length as well as what I've read on here)- and that is a refusal to totally give up all the things we know we should give up or to think "I'm feeling better now so _____ wont harm me anymore". Well, the truth is _______ will possibly have the power to harm you every single time you try to eat it. It takes a lot of fortitude and personal growth to stay on the path of clean eating but it CAN BE DONE. I hope that I can.

I hope you can too! I cannot yet imagine living without nuts or coconut, but it's early days yet. After my first whole35 I did a reintro on rice but my mindset had changed and now rather than having curry and rice it just seems more healthy to have extra curry and skip the rice. I also chucked out my millet and quinoa as figured I really didn't need to spend that sort of money on a grain based breakfast when I now had so many options. It was sort of a relief in a way to not to have to stock that stuff. When I miss cinnamon flavoured porridge I just put cinnamon on a sweet potato or in an egg and vege dish instead.

I think I would like to have popcorn occasionally but I am not quite sure yet...

Day 3:

Meal 1: fried up a little hamburger pattie in a small cast iron skillet and poured 4 whipped egg yolks around it after I had flipped it over, served with mashed sweet potato on top. Looked and tasted AWESOME but started feeling tired shortly after and am feeling suspicious about egg yolks

Meal 2: Because I was feeling tired after breakfast, I got super lazy about putting together a work lunch so I packed a bowl of sweet potatoes, a can of tuna and some smoked jalapeno sauerkraut. Added some coconut oil and herb de provence and forcefed this vile catfood to myself at lunchtime. gross, but felt nourished, so whatever.

Meal 3: Came home from work to find my husband making dinner AGAIN (who is this man in my kitchen?!) He was making the LaFrique Salmon from Well Fed and I barely had the heart to explain to him why I'm not eating spices or lemon juice before he slathered my piece of fish in it. He didn't really understand until I farted and said "this is what the garlic and onions in my food last night did to me" and he happily cooked my fish plain in a seperate pan. So long story short: dinner was a big piece of wild salmon with an olive oil, ginger, dill sauce on top, mashed sweet potato and some sauteed very finely chopped french green beans and portabello mushrooms.

Drinks today: Not enough water, too much coconut water, kombucha, peppermint ginger medicinal tea, little bit of beet kvass and sparkling water.

I had a little bit of a poutfest this afternoon after my less than stellar lunch I read on the forum that coconut water is not allowed during the w30- which makes total sense because it really is just glorified juice. But I had some notion that is was healthy and helping my get hydrated in some way that water couldn't. And it's sweet and yummy and I was really starting to drink it everyday. I don't think it has derailed my progress on the w30 and I'm not starting over again, but I do think it could be a problem waiting to happen. The real pouting started when I went to the store after work. I was hungry and thirsty and just so disgusted with having to walk through an enormous supermarket, past all manner of garbage food just to get to the bananas. But then dinnner happened and I was grateful again to be on the path of the pursuit of optimal health.

Had a great BM after breakfast and then like teeny tiny one after both lunch and dinner, but Im not counting those. Still gassy from last night's dinner- I don't know if it was the onions, garlic, or peppers, but I think I can do without all 3 for a good long while.

Archived