Moluv's IBS Protocol Long Haul

Moluv

Moluv, you're doing so well on removing the coconut water! Great idea to add the strawberries and cucumber to water--I'll have to try that as it sounds delicious. Am sorry to hear that the coconut butter gave you troubles, but it looks like your body is recovering fairly quickly. That points to some gut healing, I think!! :)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love that you noted a problem and worked hard to fix it. You go girl!

Thanks for the info on supplements/cooking. I think I need to add a little more of those carb dense veggies as I only right now have some as my post workout meal. Plus I think they are easy on digestion.

I think my main point in the above thing is that for a long time I've been a person people look to for health things as I do take good care of myself. Right now following Paleo/AI/IBS protocol I feel limited in what I can eat to let my body heal..so always kind of worry that Paleo will get a bad rap b/c I don't eat the full spectrum and quite frankly I haven't hit that "sweet spot" yet. I want to continue to lead by example and show people how rewarding it is. There are things that even you eat that I am not right now (coconut oil, peppers/nightshades) so at times feel kind of "left out" of a lot of eating (like the daily emails that come with recipes-most I cant do on the IBS/AI protocol). My plan is to stick to basics for 30-45 days though and around then I'll be seeing my regular MD/yearly physical, etc so can figure out next steps/what to add back in. For now..keep it simple right!

I did find a chiro in my area today that is a holistic one and specializes in females, Paleo, autoimmunity, gastrointestinal, etc so that will be great! And I did have 2 BM today..still not perfect 4's but on a road to at least better.

Do you like natural calm better than straight magesium?

I am going to work to try to learn to make homemade kombucha! I do love it......and what it does for you health wise!

What health conditions have you guys had to deal with that led you to this?

I think that by limiting yourself to only foods that you know don't cause you problems is being the best example imaginable. It shows a lot of self care to love yourself enough to say "no" to your desires. You are being a kind and loving parent to your inner child. And as far as repping for "paleo"- I really shy away from that label because of all the paleo treats! Sheesh- every blog is full of a million ways to use coconut flour or almond meal and that's not healthy- I keep teaching anyone who cares about the w30 principles- and explain that because of my personal issues I am on a stricter protocol. It makes the regular w30 seem way more liberal in the food choices and that's a pod start for anyone! And I know how you feel left out when other people list things on their food log- many times its reading what someone else ate that triggers my desire (coconut butter, bell peppers, pineapple, coconut water) and most of the time I regret it. I'm not stressing though because I know I'm making progress- not just in my body but in my MIND. my creative vision and drive to start new art projects has returned. Which brigs me to your last q about medical issues that brought us here- for me it was ADHD and a dependency on rx stimulants and or marijuana to cope. That's just not the life I wanted long term. I quit my stimulant meds when I went of gluten and relied less on mj- but I was still reacting to corn and rice- it was during a flare that I stumbled upon w30 through blog a celiac friend/client referred me to. As soon as I read the rules I started that minute and haven't looked back. I'm excited when I think about ME IN A YEAR FROM NOW. My brain functions properly again!! I want to cry when I think about all the time lost, but I'm here now and grateful. I might still go to art school! Or get a yoga teacher certification!

You're a great Penpal CC! And Mary! And Juzbo!

To all of our healing, CHEERS!

Day 11:

Meal 1: ground beef and spicy dill kraut, banana

Meal 2: office pantry surprise (gag me)- canned butternut squash, green beans, can of tuna with sea salt, herb de Provence, and coconut oil heated in the (double gag) microwave.

Meal 3: (prewo) little bit ground beef

Meal 4: broiled chicken legs, 5 raspberries (prob not IBS safe- couldn't remember), zucchini sautéed in ghee

Drinks: so much Kombucha, so little water

BM: 1 1/2, after breakfast, still a little "off"

Glad to hear moluv that you are enjoying the correspondence, I sometimes wondered if we were hijacking your thread... But it's so great to discuss issues in common to us that not many others face!

My personal aim is to be supplement free and tough it out until I find natural alternatives... That's easy for me since most supplements I have tried have created more issues than they have solved... And my last blood test showed huge improvements... I am in the normal range now for everything except slightly elevated liver enzymes still and my cholesterol which was normal has just gone above standard but that doesn't concern me.

I am also a lot more comfortable eating plain foods now, especially since I can correlate this so easily with less tummy troubles.

I think I was trying so hard for variety and using different spices just for the sake of it and because I felt I was missing out by not being able to eat so much other stuff but now I don't care so much and also enjoy what I can eat so much more.

I cook my meats/eggs/veggies in ghee, olive oil or coconut oil. These fats have really improved my skin health!

Today I was told " you eat such healthy food" and I responded its not by choice, it's what my body demands... That's true. To be honest I still would much prefer to eat rubbish or live on sugar but I don't like how it makes me feel and I know that won't sustain a high quality of life. In a way we are lucky we are so affected as the incentive to listen to our body is so much higher!

Juzbo- yes, I want to be off supplements too. Right now I'm only doing the natural calm and melatonin though I skipped both last night and feel fine. I think I'll start getting my magnesium via Epsom salt bath and eating more spinach and salmon (which was advised on a thread I posted for my husband). I don't like taking things.

I have been craving nuts and coffee and ham (which my kids eat) LIKE CRAZY this week. I just stop and think about "the old me" for a moment and its enough to move on. My husband made espresso this morning and I hovered over his cup and inhaled deeply and that was very satisfying. The cashews beckon to me but, oh well. I have been subverting that craving with a little coconut milk here as there. While the milk seems to take a little effort to digest it doesn't give me the same reaction as the butter so I'm not stressing about it right now.

Day 12: (yesterday)

Meal 1: ground lamb & shredded squash and zucchini sautéed in ghee

Meal 2: more lamb (so good omg) and butternut squash from a can (my favorite) with ghee and coconut aminos

Meal 3: half an avocado

Meal 4: eggs scrambled in ghee with chopped fresh spinach, 1/2 avocado, cosmic curry kraut, a banana, 2 dates and coconut cream

Drinks: 2 bottles of Kombucha (the second bottle was at a social function and replaced less healthy options available there) lots more water, 1 cup of coconut water with dinner which was a late night feast and so yummy

BM: oh geez, like 6 snakelike ones all throughout the day. Still out of whack but feeling really good so I'm ok with this

*i woke up this morning with a stuffy nose and very minor sinus headache which I think MAY be due to the eggs. I took an antihistamine and moved on. If I'm having a minor allergic reaction to eggs I may still include them fr dinner on occasion. If, however, they are gut disrupting I don't think it's worth it. If anyone knows about eggs please share your own experience with them.

I love reading your log Moluv! Thanks for sharing your journey. I appreciate it because I am also doing the IBS protocol. I thought I would share my experience with egg because it's just interesting what you are experiencing with your BM's. When I tested just the yolk, I had skinny BM's for a day after trying them. Coincidence maybe, but not sure! Anyways, thought I'd share :) At the time, I thought maybe it was a signal that my gut got inflamed when I ate them, so I had skinnier poo from that. I'm planning on eventually reintroducing them again and seeing if the same thing happens after some healing has occurred (I've been on lots of antibiotics for some stomach "bugs").

Hi Moluv, I haven't eaten eggs since my attempt to re-intro them a while ago, but I do know my doc told me that the protein in the egg white can be inflammatory for some people. So that might cause a reaction for you while you're healing?? Good for you on finding a way to handle your cravings and remind yourself about becoming healthier at the same time.

Thanks ladies- I did some further research on eggs and found some pretty disturbing science-y stuff about an enzyme or protein (ugh it was a few hours ago can't remember exactly now) that does cross the gut lining with other proteins piggy backed onto it. As the day progressed my reaction became worse and worse- extremely scatterbrained (ADHD flare), tired and lazy and then even after a nap I felt really anxious and skin-crawly. I've had two good BM's today, which is better than the past few days when I felt like coconut butter slowe me down. I'm looking suspiciously at a few things I've eaten in the past couple days- namely coconut milk, pu-erh tea, the curry powder in the kraut I ate last night and also the eggs. The other crazy symptom I had today was out of control cravings- I was eyeballing and rationalizing many off plan foods I might want to

self-medicate with- whiskey, cocoa, cashews. And I also ate more than usual and still wanted more. Long story short- something wrecked me and I want answers. Instead of feeding the beast I made some St. John's Wort tea, had a dropper

full of thc tincture to deal with the anxiety and a fatty snack of olives. I feel better but only a little- I know I just have to ride this out and hope I have the good sense to figure out how not to do this to myself. The next time I start pouting at my food restrictions I want my mind to come right back to how I felt this afternoon- and to remember that I used to feel like this on the daily and that if I make the right choices, and sometimes the boring choices, THAT I NEVER HAVE TO FEEL LIKE THIS AGAIN.

Day 13:

Meal 1: ground buffalo & butternut squash

Meal 2: ground beef & ginger balsamic green beans (gross- I don't like vinegars anymore), butternut squash

Meal 3: herbal tea and olives

Meal 4: baked salmon with herb de Provence and coconut aminos, asparagus, red bell pepper, yellow squash and carrots sautéed in ghee, banana

Drinks: 1/3 bottle Kombucha, 2 glasses coconut water, a good bit of water, St. John's wort tea

Meds: thc tincture

Supplements: natural calm, melatonin

BM: 2 #4 on the bsc, after meals 1&2

Poor Moluv :(

I get those bms when I have dairy, too much coconut or too many nuts, with horrible abdominal pain, not fun at all!

I had an upset stomach from the chicken I had last night, it is a baked roll with sauce on top. I always have the inside bits without sauce and I am always sick the next morning. Hubby always wants to have it when we have guests and since I don't drink the wine, have the dessert, eat the prawns or fried rice I feel I have to at least share one of the dishes... Oh well at least I recover fairly quickly from this but like you I do wonder why it is worth it.....

I'm breaking 13 day IBS protocol streak to have some coffee. One of my girlfriends just returned from Boulder CO with some artisanal fair trade chocolate that some friends make from cacao they grow themselves in Ecuador- it's a beautiful product made with love and its one of my few

"worth it" items. I'm going to eat it as I care too.

And today I'm having coffee just because. Ill be back to W30- I've been in heavy regulation mode since end of January and I think I just need a little break. Ill most definitely be getting out the

vaporizer too- but I feel like I have all of these off-plan things under control, and frankly I'm starting to resent my training wheels and am ready to ride my own bike. Cheers to scraped knees and band

aids! Xoxox-michele

EDITED TO ADD: Uh, maybe I should have drank the coffee before posting this- I had one drink and poured it out. Yuck. I'm still going to try the chocolate tomorrow though- wouldn't it be crazy if I thought that was gross?

Hey all!

Moluv that sucks that you are having some issues with some foods. In the end, you are a rational person and if you think a food is worth it (even knowing it might "mess you up") then do it.

My body just seems to be all over the place and not a lot of rhyme or reason. I have congestion..then it will lessen..I'll be having great BM (2/day) and then it slows down..and some nights I sleep amazing..others not. I think partially I need to work on the stress of life and it all in general..and am hoping the natural chiro that I am going to see will have some advice. I often wonder if food really isn't my issue so much as hormones or what not..my family has a history with a lot of this stuff..all of my sisters (incl myself) have had to remove gallbladders (mine didn't have stones just wasn't functioning)..and I want to get it solved so we can all feel amazing!

I did put a water purifier on my shower today and got a new shower curtain..working to reduce toxins in cleaning, environment, and beauty. Do you guys do that too?

Funny on the coffee--I love the smell of it but realize when I taste it that it was the sugars and other stuff that made it taste good! I do have green tea daily..but only 1 cup and in morning.

Have you guys ever considered giving up coconut for a while? Seems to be a constant theme of issues around it...

Sorry if I am not on here every day to see how you are..but I do try to read up and see how you are! Thanks for sharing your journey...

Dang- I JUST came back on to delete my post! But you already read it haha. After having the taste of coffee in my mouth for a while it gave me some perspective on the chocolate- it probably won't taste as good as I think it will and it can certainly wait until I am post W30. I think what I wanted more than anything today was to "ride my own bike" and be free from all of the rules- but really that's what's happening anyway. No one is forcing me to make good choices and I need to take some credit. And yes, CC, things definitely started going downhill for me with adding coconut- I even had some this morning! So in that way, "the rules" kinda screw me over- I rationalize that if its good enough for M&D surely it's good enough for me. Not so! My bowell is functioning well so I know I'm not too damaged anymore so I can lighten up in that regard, but coconut is going to have to go on the permanent naughty list. I tend towards diet obsession and want to start using some of the energy I focus on my food to my art. I know what I need to avoid- I don't need to keep learning it over and over.

I'm jealous of your chiro- I had a good one like that a few years ago then he moved away. Hope it helps you. Thanks for the support today- I feel ready to stop being a big baby and carry on with day 14!

Interesting about the coffee. I've had the experience often of getting really excited about eating something again... and then realizing it doesn't taste good.

You seem like a very thoughtful, aware person... keep doing what is good for you. :)

Moluv, snap. I decided to have coffee on my day 14. Made it, had a couple of mouthfuls, then sort of forgot about it and went to the gym, finished it after that but not really enjoyable... But affected me enough to give me cravings the next day.

Had nuts and coconut.. And now the next day I am suffering... So off nuts, coconut nod coffee for another week.

I hope you enjoy your cocoa when you do have it.

CC I use Enjo cleaning products so very little chemical cleaners. I don't filter my water but the water quality here is pretty good

Ok, so instead of drinking coffee, eating chocolate and vaping to mask the pain and anxiety that lasts for days as a result- I've spent a large portion of the day resting, cleaning and researching further into IBS, leaky gut, silent and subtle forms of Autoimmune disease, and have decided that the best course of action is to start the AIP effective immediately. Lest anyone think I am being overly dramatic about my reactions I have made a nifty little photo collage documenting the extreme swelling of my belly which I believe to be a result of eating dried fruit and coconut products. Those cravings were brought on directly by the irritation and weakness I experienced after consuming eggs 2 nights ago. I looked back over my food log and spotted some other trouble makers too- namely yucca root which is gluten cross reactive, and of course eggs and coconut which I already knew. So for the sake of getting a good read on how the AIP is working I'm going to exclude ALL coconut products, including the oil and my beloved coconut water, at least for a month until I feel safe testing just those two. Coconut meat/milk/butter is a long term no-go (thanks for the push CC), as well as ghee. My fats will be mainly those occuring naturally in meat and tallow I render from grassfed local beef, as well as olives and limited quantities of avocado due to high fodmaps. The reaction I had today scared me because it was just as bad as a gluten reaction, and it became clear to me quickly how one irritant quickly led to an insatiable desire for more irritants. I'm dialing it way in on you irritants, be warned.

P.S. If a moderator could change the title of my log to "MOLUV'S IBS TURNED AI PROTOCOL LONG HAUL" that would be fantastic.

post-14185-0-86694700-1364162371_thumb.j

Boo :( but I agree, I need to do it too. When I got up this morning I thought oh, not so bad but as soon as I ate something I just ballooned... So today I finished off the Brazil nuts ( why o why ) and the coconut cream ( oh really...) and the house is nut free again except for peanuts but being legumes they are even more dire so I can avoid them... I might not replace my ghee when it's finished. I am better off without avocado. So looks like olive oil and sesame oil for me. I don't think I can give up eggs but I might try a week after Easter of very strict AIP just to see a baseline

The way I see it, is the AIP is just another level of eliminations- for a time period and then you do reintroductions. So the things you take out may be tolerated once the gut is healed. I've known I was headed toward this for a long time before I even started whole 30- I read gaps and scd 2 years ago and could not wrap my mind around that kind of limitation. Now I'm ready. I'm actually excited about it! I love to cook and have tasty food so it's just a new challenge. I'm going to keep better track of my meals with photos to share so that may help with ideas for you when you start. I have two friends starting AIP today too for their own reasons so that is encouraging me too.

I hope you find your Pleasurebelly again soon!

I think you are on the right track Moluv! I have to say that I feel really glad that I did a mix of the AIP/IBSP together as I have been able to make more progress than ever before. Mind you I have been trying to figure out what was wrong in my gut for almost 3 years now. I have done elimination diets before, but this finally is working (along with killing some unwanted 'beings' inhabiting my tummy). I feel like because I did this protocol nice and clean, I am now able to start adding some things back in and feel good still. Anyways, I am trying to encourage you to do it at least for a little while and hopefully you'll start to see some really great results! If you ever want some recipes, I've stumbled upon some good ones or if you ever have any good ones to share, I'd love that too. Thanks for your inspiration!

Thanks for the encouragement Johnsona! I would love to see recipes- I haven't really been looking for any because I am impressionable and easily get sidetracked by what other people are doing that may not be safe for me. Especially in regards to coconut and FODMAPs, which are allowed for AIP but no gos or me. Feel free to share meals here anytime! My girlfriends and I have been texting photos to each other too and it is nice to have some company.

I love the Practical Paleo Cookbook. Do you have it? There is a section for leaky gut and also autoimmune disorders. Plus she labels which foods are FODMAPS and how to adapt the recipe to exclude them. She has a great spice mix that is AIP friendly that I keep around for lots of things. I also found this website: http://acleanplate.com/page/3/. It has some good ideas on there. Not totally sure about the FODMAP's exclusion though. I also like this woman's blog and some of her recipes: http://www.thepaleomom.com/autoimmunity. She talks a lot about autoimmunity, so it's interesting and there are some good ideas too! It's nice you have some friends on board with you! I have one friend that is doing it along with me and it helps so much.

I've heard of Practical Paleo- now that you mention that she marks the FODMAPs I think I would like that a lot. My library has a copy but its checked out. I'll get on the wait list. And paleo mom is where I got a lot of the info that made me want to go through with this. Thank you for your suggestions!

Ouch, same here. Eggs, coconut (oil is fine) and caffeine are doing nasty stuff to me. They are out but not completely. Eggplants, tomatoes and peppers are out too. Giving up eggs is fine, but skipping morning coffee is impossible task for me at the moment :(

However I totally agree with your earlier post that if doing it, do it 100%.

It is so encouraging to read other peoples logs. Hope you'll get the great benefits of this healing adventure.

Check this one for cooking too - Autoimmune Paleo.

Archived