Whole 30 starting 3/11

befabdaily

I have been feeling for a while that I need to start a new Whole30. That feeling peaked today with paleo pancakes for breakfast, a chocolate bar, AND wine. All in the same day. Mercy.

I had an excuse. I was off roading a little bit, including gluten foods, because I was waiting to get my 23 and Me genetic test results back. If I had the celiac disease marker I was going to get antibody tests and perhaps even endoscopy just to be sure. But I don't have the marker -- I'm just one of the many who feels better not eating wheat and there's no special reason to assume I have celiac. And so there's no excuse to be un-clean. So here I go. 30 days, no excuses.

Genetic tests are interesting. I do have a very elevated risk for rheumatoid arthritis. That sounds like the kind of thing that would best be staved off with a very anti-inflammatory diet!

OK, here goes.

Middlea-aged Lady WOD: T-Tapp BWO+, 3x9 supported squats, 3x9 standing calf raises, 2 20 minute cross-campus speed-walks with hills and stairs.

Breakfast: 3 eggs, avocado, 2 kiwis

Lunch: Caldo de albondigas, sauerkraut

Dinner: Slow cooked pork, a huge pile of braised brussels sprouts. Was still hungry and went back for a sweet potato with some coconut milk on it.

Yesterday I faced down free chocolate covered strawberries at a meeting on campus, and survived.

Day 2 middle-aged lady WOD: T-Tapp BWO+, 3x9 flat bent leg raises, 3x9 incline pushups, foam rolling, taught a 1:15 belly dance class

Breakfast: 3 eggs, sauteed mini greens, blackberries, coffee with coconut milk

Lunch: caldo de albondigas, small avocado

Pre dance class snack: slow cooked pork

Dinner (will be): cioppino, salad with homemade dressing

Day 3

Breakfast: 3 eggs, sauteed mini greens and tomatoes, coffee with coconut milk

Lunch: caldo de albondigas, avocado

Snack: salad -- I ate in a cafe with a prospective student I was hosting. May have had some sugar in this salad :(

Dinner: lemon rosemary chicken, mushrooms, a grapefruit

Day 4: I am having a "hollow day" today -- I feel like I could eat the world! Or, it's after dinner and rightnow I want either cheese or alcohol or something sweet.

But: not gonna.

OK honestly if I had a steak in the fridge I could do some rare pan-friend steak and that would be just as good. Or liver. Mmm, liver. Hmm...maybe I just need to EAT MOAR!!!

Breakfast: 3 eggs, sauteed baby greens and tomatoes, coffee with coconut milk

Lunch: lemon rosemary chicken (about 2 palms), sweet potato, small avocado, small pear

Snack: handful of cashews, handful of freeze dried strawberries (ingredients: strawberries)

Dinner: Large bowl of (wine-free) cioppino

Also I've discovered that I no longer like mushrooms. Can't choke 'em down. No idea why. So my mushroom purchase last week is $6 wasted unless I figure out how to hide them. Maybe pureed in a soup?

I'm a freaking hobbit is what.

Despite my increase in drinking and chocolate eating and what have you, I did not expect this much of an adjustment upon return to the Whole30.

Today: Middle aged lady WOD: T-Tapp BWO+

Breakfast: 3 eggs scrambled with plums, coffee with coconut milk

2nd breakfast: the steak and egg secret menu bowl at Panera (had to take a seminar speaker to breakfast and realized that I could not wait for this to be first breakfast)

Lunch: Caldo de albondigas, sweet potato

Snack: pear, small handful of cashews, bacon (don't even ASK how this happened)

Dinner: A very large lamb chop, avocado, sauerkraut

How can one person even eat that much? And I still have a strange, slightly hungry feeling around the edges. I am going to go drink a cup of tea with a bit of gelatin and natural calm mixed in (sleep bomb cocktail) and see if I molt and turn into a swan overnight.

Middle-aged-lady WOD: Zumba

Breakfast: 3 eggs, 2 plums, coffee with coconut milk

Lunch: lamb shoulder chop, seriously about half a pound of brussels sprouts, apple

Dinner: sauerkraut, mushroom meatballs, sweet potato with a few walnuts and coconut milk

Day 7 (already!)

Middle-aged-lady WOD: A walk in the sunshine; T-Tapp BWO+, 3x9 bodyweight supported squats

Breakfast: 3 eggs, large green salad with pears, sauerkraut, walnuts, and balsamic vinaigrette, coffee with coconut milk

Lunch: cioppino

Dinner: mushroom meatballs, braised brussels sprouts, blackberries

I notice that, although I was still eating something like 90% clean before I started this W30, my sinuses have really opened back up to that nice clean totally non-sticky W30 feeling. At the end of this one, I want to do a really careful reintro of cheese for a couple of weeks, while remaining free of everything else, just to see if the little bits of crumbled cheese I was adding to my salads over the last few weeks are actually responsible for any part of my congestion.

Day 8: Middle-aged lady WOD: T-Tapp BWO+, 3x9 incline push-ups, 3x9 short bridges, 3x9 standing calf raises, foam rolling

Breakfast: 3 eggs, small avocado, coffee with coconut milk

Lunch: rosemary lemon chicken, sweet potato, cherry tomatoes

Dinner: lamb chop, sauteed greens, apple

I managed to make it through a day with only one piece of fruit (unless you count tomatoes as a fruit) and I didn't really miss it. I have found it easy this time to stay away from nut-snacking and fruit-snacking.

Hey - I started on 3/11 too after a bunch of off-roading since my last Whole30 in late Dec/Jan. Oddly enough, I'm finding the transition back to Whole30 a LOT easier this time...so far, anyway.

Do you have a recipe for your cioppino that you would be willing to share?

Day 9 -- already!

Middle-aged lady WOD: T-Tapp BWO+, 1.5 mile walk in the sunshine

Breakfast: 3 eggs, greens with rosemary-infused avocado oil mayo, avocado, coffee with coconut milk

Lunch: meatballs with more of the addictive mayo, sweet potato, sauerkraut

Dinner: lamb chop, braised brussels sprouts with a few walnuts, apple

Day 10 --

Middle-aged lady WOD: 1 hr Zumba class

Breakfast: 3 eggs, greens with mayo, avocado, coffee with coconut milk

Lunch: Mushroom meatballs, sweet potato, brussels sprouts with walnuts

Pre-Zumba snack: 1/2 cup blackberries, small piece of chicken, mini-Larabar

Dinner: corned beef, large salad with homemade dressing, fruits and nuts

Larabars are gross, I am so over them.

Whoops. Gonna have to start over again. Or at least extend by 11 days.

Today, all of the women in my department were getting together for our monthly social lunch. At a local Indian restaurant with really yummy food. I considered my options and decided to enjoy some Indian lunch.

On the plus side: I did in fact not eat any wheat and only a tiny smidge of sugar (a half piece of a coconut-based sweet). My belly feels fine. I can pick right back up again tomorrow. And before that I had 11 good days of Whole30-style eating.

On the minus side: Since I was already off the rails, I ate up some blue potatoes I had around the house, with dinner, instead of a sweet potato, because I was worried they'd go to waste before I next had a chance to eat them. And then I had some wine -- see: already off the rails.

Anyway, right back in the saddle tomorrow. For the next 16 days I have nothing that threatens my Whole30 equanimity. I'm going to stay clean for at least that 16 days, longer if I can get some good food options worked out for the meeting trip I have coming up.

Day 12: Back on it like nothing happened. Rice, beans and small bits of dairy, in the context of "real food" don't really seem to give me problems. No cravings set off or anything.

WOD: Zumba.

Breakfast: 3 eggs with plums; 1/2 avocado

Lunch: corned beef, brussels sprouts, an apple

Dinner: scrambled eggs with duxelles seasoning, carrots with homemade mayo, sauerkraut

Archived