This weekend I found myself out of my comfort zone. On the Battleship NJ in Camden with a group of cubscouts that included my son and step son. I planned. I planned my butt off...packed lunch, dinner, breakfast and snacks. Here is what I didn't plan for...

...the profound effect sleep has on my choices. This weekend we also spring forward (bring on the good weather). It probably wasn't the hour change...it was more likely the fact that I normally am in bed by 9 (10 at the latest) it was the fact that we didn't get restful sleep. The lights out at 11 pm actually took over an hour for the kids to get settled...minus the hour we lost until one of the scouts woke with bloody nose and suddenly we were woken to greet the day by the sound of a trumpet (yes trumpet). Thos things coupled with the 2 inch thick matress we were blessed to have in the 2-3 foot bunk took a day full of good no great intentions into one bad choice after another.

So, here is what I learned....on the day I should be celebrating my goal of 30 days I will make my new day 1 and kick the next 30+ days from here to Camden and back. I will not look at this as failure. It's a small detour in the road. Really how I feel today is a testament as to why I can no longer live this way. Horrible stomach ache coupled with moments of rage...(my poor kids and husband). So as I take my last few moments of the night packing my lunch before some restful sleep, I will celebrate that which I am thankful to have realized. This is the best thing I can do for me.

Think of the first 28 days as your Bonus Warm Up! The Whole30 is tough because we have to be 100% compliant, but what you learned from this is so valuable for when you're just back to "normal" life.

You now know that it is possible to rebound instantaneously from bad choices to good choices!

I wouldn't count this as a failure at all. You did a Whole28 instead and learned a lot during the process. And, from whatever you ate on Saturday, you now have candidates for what might cause problems when you begin re-introduction after your Whole 30. :)

Archived