Cassie M's W30, Part Deux

Cassie M

Today is the start of my second ever Whole30! I did a W30 back in August 2012 and was really pleased with how I looked and felt. My intent on finishing was to go back to being about 80% Paleo, but in the 6+ months I've allowed myself way too many foods that make me feel terrible (physically and mentally).

Having done one of these before, here are the improvements I would like to make this time around:

1. I was so focused on losing weight last time, but only dropped about 3 pounds by the end of the month. I have learned that my body simply will not go below a certain weight threshold, so the improvements I will be looking for are in my my measurements (particularly my "thunder thighs") as well as in my strength and endurance.

2. When I felt hungry on my last W30, my go-to food source was nuts. I've come to realize that, for me, nuts are "food with no brakes" (damn you, Brazil nuts!), so I'd like to cut down on how often I reach for the bag. I've since discovered the deliciousness of homemade kale chips and will look to this as a better snacking alternative.

3. I felt really tired last time around, and because I was eating so well, I stopped going to the gym altogether. This time around, I'm hoping to work out at least 3 times a week.

So, here we go!

Day 1: Monday, March 11th

Breakfast: 3 egg muffins with bell pepper and 5 cherry tomatoes

Snack: Unsalted mixed nuts - Day 1 and I already went there, but I swear it was in a controlled manner!

Lunch: Zucchini ratatouille

Snack: Unsalted mixed nuts (I limited this to a reasonable amount to tide me over until dinner!)

Dinner: Pork chop with broccoli

Day 1 is complete. I'm off to a good start, although I know I need to sort out my meals so that I don't need a snack in-between, but I exercised so much control both times I had nuts today, so I hope to just optimize my meals as I continue on.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I think you should eliminate nuts from your life during this Whole30. They are always a bad snack choice whether you eat them in a controlled manner or lose control. In fact, the trick to doing well with the Whole30 approach to eating is to fill yourself up with good food at meals so that you don't need any snacks. If you are hungry between meals, you can eat something, but the important thing is to eat enough protein, fat, and veggies to be comfortable going until your next meal without needing a snack.

Hi Tom,

You're right about the snacking - last time around, as the month progressed, I found that I was able to optimize the quantity and components of my meals so that I would stay full until the next meal; this being week 1, I am still working out the balance.

Before, I used to have egg muffins with sweet potatoes and avocado for breakfast; today, I only had the eggs and found myself hungry, so went for the high fat mixed nuts to replicate the fat I was missing from my morning bit of avocado. I hope that by next week, I'll have tweaked this so that I can stay full.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Feeling good this morning - although it's only day 2! Give me a week and I'll be in full-on bitch mode :)

Day 2: Tuesday, March 12th

Breakfast: 2 egg muffins with bell peppers, 2 sweet potato cakes and 4 cherry tomatoes

Lunch: Zucchini ratatouille, Unslated mixed nuts (these were planned!)

Snack: Homemade kale chips

Dinner: Salad (Mixed lettuce, chicken, tomatoes, pumpkin seeds, Balsamic vinaigrette), Pistachio nuts, Raspberries

The good news is that I made it to lunch with no snacking, so I'm re-learning what combinations of food will keep me full; however, I found myself hungry just before 5pm and knew I wouldn't make it through the journey home and cooking dinner, so I munched on some of my kale chips. At least I got some Calcium and Vitamin K!

The plan was to go to the gym after work tonight, but I left my iPod at home. Excuses, excuses I know - but I am absolutely useless without my own music (my gym plays some seriously trashy electro synthesized stuff ... I feel like I should be dropping ecstasy and getting a light show from a stranger in a tutu), so might as well wait until I have the musical inspiration I need (cue: Queen's "Fat Bottomed Girls")!

I woke up completely refreshed and ready to face the day this morning! I forgot how well I sleep when on a Whole30 ... and since this is the first time I'm keeping a daily log, I really hope that I'll remember how much eating wholesome and nutritious foods affects my quality of sleep!

Day 3: Wednesday, March 13th

Breakfast: 1 egg muffin with bell peppers, 2 sweet potato cakes and 6 cherry tomatoes

Lunch: Zucchini ratatouille

Snack: Unsalted mixed nuts (completely controlled - to help with some nausea!), Homemade kale chips

Dinner: Salad (Mixed lettuce, chicken, tomatoes, pumpkin seeds, Balsamic vinaigrette), Pineapple

I have to go to a conference this afternoon after lunch and this was sprung on me suddenly yesterday afternoon, so I packed a larger portion of my ratatouille and will plan to eat that just before I head out. Hopefully this keeps me full until the end of the conference, but if not, I have a small portion of mixed nuts that I can keep in my pocket in case of emergency.

Update: I made it all the way through the end of the conference without feeling hungry, but I was suddenly starving and had to dip into my small pack of nuts until I could get back to my kale chips in the office, which I ate to tide me over between the commute home and the time it takes me to cook dinner. I've definitely learned that I need to add something to my lunch to keep me fuller for longer.

Oh, what a beautiful morning!

I woke up 30 minutes before my alarm was set to go off and was completely awake! I laid in bed for 15 minutes of mindfulness and then got up 15 minutes early. Did you hear that?! I got out of bed EARLY, because I was totally awake, refreshed and ready to start my day!

I went to the gym this morning and did some physio for my shoulder bursitis, ran on the treadmill (15 mins of rolling hills) and did Tabata sprints on the bike for 10 minutes. I love working out in the morning and haven't been able to drag myself out of bed in weeks. I'm so happy that I'm sleeping well and not struggling to wake up.

Day 4: Thursday, March 14th

Breakfast: 2 egg muffins with bell peppers, 2 sweet potato cakes

Lunch: Chicken salad (Mixed leaves, chicken breast, SDT, carrots, pine nuts, balsamic & mustard vinaigrette), Unsalted mixed nuts (the last small portion in the bag!)

Snack: Homemade kale chips, Sunflower seeds

Dinner: Pistachio nuts, Haddock, Cauliflower, Pineapple

I continue to wake up feeling AMAZING!

However, this morning I got some upsetting news; normally, this is when I would dive into comfort foods (freshly baked, warm, chocolate chip cookies where the chocolate is all melty and wonderful = medicine, right??) to help me deal with what's bringing me down, but I don't want to go there, and I WON'T.

I'm nervous about the weekend. I'm always a regimented, super healthy eater during the work week, but come Friday night I'm a "weekend warrior", using the weekend to justify poor food choices (Toast with breakfast? Sure, I don't eat bread & butter during the week! ... Something sweet with an afternoon coffee? Why not, it goes with the coffee and I don't eat *that* much sugar! ... etc) It's also a bank holiday weekend for Paddy's Day, so I really have my work cut out for me!

Day 5: Friday, March 15th

Breakfast: 2 egg muffins with bell peppers, 2 sweet potato cakes, 5 cherry tomatoes

Lunch: Salad (Mixed leaves, chicken, roasted red peppers, SDTs, hardboiled egg, sesame seeds, balsamic vinaigrette)

Dinner: 2 hamburger patties with lettuce, tomatoes, jalapenos, Nakd bar

Two major brownie points for me tonight (mmm ... brownies ...j/k!):

First, I had ZERO nuts today! My meals were filling enough that I didn't need any snacks. Yay!

Second, my husband and I went for coffee after work and he got 2 cupcakes - including my favorite favorite FAVORITE flavor, salted caramel! I had no choice but to sit and watch him enjoy such deliciousness. Did I wish I could eat the cupcakes? I won't lie - yes! BUT, was I in any way tempted to take a bite? NOPE. Small, but it still constitutes a victory!

Hello, long weekend! I survived cupcakes in my face last night, so I am feeling really good about not being a weekend warrior!

Day 6: Saturday, March 16th

Snack: Nakd bar (ginger bread)

Breakfast: Berry juice, 2 fried eggs, 1 chorizo sausage, 2 kiwis

Snack: 2 sundried tomatoes

Dinner: 2 crab cakes, broccoli, Nakd bar (cashew cookie)

Today was mostly a success. I say 'mostly' because I had 2 snacks, but they were both legit! My pre-breakfast snack was to tide me over for the grocery run. I'm starving in the mornings, and had to eat something before going shopping. Hungry me at the store leads to some very questionable decisions! The second snack happened because there was like 7 hours between breakfast and dinner, and dinner was taking waaaaay too long. I almost reached for the bag of nuts but decided on something small (just 2 sundried tomatoes), so I'm definitely looking for other food options that don't lead to mindless (over)eating.

Day 7: Sunday, March 17th

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with bell peppers & hot sauce, 3 kiwis, 2 handfuls of hazelnuts, berry juice

Lunch: 3 Nakd bars (mocha, ginger bread, cashew)

Snack: 3 SDTs

Dinner: Chicken "tacos" (Chicken, tomatoes and jalapenos in baby gem lettuce wraps), Pineapple

I've been reading ISWF since I started, and finally got to the chapters on meal composition; I am going to make more of an effort to add the right components to my plate. I know my "lunch" today was a very poor choice, but I ended up going to the mall and staying for a movie, so with no better option I grabbed something that's at the very least compliant.

Week 1 is complete and I'm feeling confident in the fact that I have remained committed to this program while being surrounded by goodies. Week 2 hopefully brings better planning, better meal composition and a better me in general. I know I slacked on the gym this week, so that will be an improvement for this week.

Bring. It. On.

Holy food dreams, Batman! I woke up this morning after dreaming about cooking some very upscale concoction. I can't remember the details, but I do remember it included pistachio nuts and truffle oil.

Today, we're going on a 2 hour hike and I'm very excited!

Day 8: Monday, March 18th

Breakfast: 2 banana pancakes (1 crushed banana, 1 egg, 3 tsp ground almonds), 1 tbsp Almond butter

Lunch/Dinner: 2 hamburger patties with lettuce, tomato, jalapenos, 2 handfulls of hazelnuts

Evening snack: Pineapple

Today was a great day! We did the Bray to Greystones walk (3.75 mi / 90 minutes) then warmed up over a nice, hot coffee. There was a good stretch of time between my breakfast and my lunch/dinner (probably about 6 hours) and I was tempted to snack when I first felt hungy, but I waited until I could have a full meal - so I'm learning to listen to my body's hunger pangs, not my mind's!

I was super productive tonight and made my breakfasts and lunches for the week, which should see me having more balanced meals consisting of protein, fat and carbs.

The hike counts toward my workouts this week, so I just need to make sure I get to the gym at least 2 more times - and if I continue to wake up feeling amazeballs, then that should be no problem!

And I survived the long weekend despite all the temptations - cupcakes, cookies, muffins, oh my (not today, thanks)!

I had a hard time falling asleep last night (maybe TWO Americanos after the hike was a bit much!) so I felt more tired than I normally would when the alarm clock went off this morning. Some of that was also refusal to face the fact that I have to go to work after a long weekend, but I digress.

Day 9: Tuesday, March 19th

Breakfast: Frittata (Ground beef, sweet potato chunks, onions, tomatoes and eggs), 1/4 Avocado

Lunch: 1 Chicken breast, Vegetables (Eggplant, Zucchini) in chopped tomatoes with Tikka Masala seasoning, 1/4 Avocado

Dinner: Chicken salad (Mixed lettuce, Chicken breast, SDTs, pumpkin seeds, EVOO)

VICTORY IS MINE! My delicious, nutritious lunch kept me full all afternoon, including the commute home and the time it takes me to make dinner (that was about 6-7 hours)! I normally get hungry for a snack at some stage between 3.30 - 5, and end up eating something small until I can get home and make dinner, but I've managed to work out what I need to keep me full and stop me from snacking!

I had another food dream this morning; last time it was about pistachios and truffle oil. This time, I ate Greek yogurt and drank soda (which I haven't had since July 2012) and I felt so awful. I couldn't believe that I broke my Whole30 and would have to start over. Of course, I woke up and everything was super ... phew!

Day 10: Wednesday, March 20th

Breakfast: Frittata (Ground beef, sweet potato chunks, onions, tomatoes and eggs), 1/4 Avocado

Lunch: Vegetables (Eggplant, Zucchini) in chopped tomatoes with Tikka Masala seasoning, 1/4 Avocado

Snack: Homemade kale chips

Dinner: Beef Salad (Mixed lettuce, Ground beef, SDTs, EVOO), Pistachio frenzy

I didn't have a piece of chicken at lunch today, so at 4:30 I started to feel hungry. I really thought about how hungry I was and whether I'd be able to make it until dinner time, but by 4:45 my tummy was starting to rumble. Some homemade kale chips did the job. I'm still a bit hungry, but have at least satisfied myself for the journey home. And even though I snacked when I am really trying not to, I didn't resort to nuts, so that's good news! Key learning for me: Protein keeps me fuller for longer.

Dinner was a nice salad, but I went overboard with the pistachios. Like 3 handfulls. I don't want to beat myself up about this, because I went nuts on pistachios - not cookies! - but I was doing so well with my goal of cutting down on eating nuts. I know I didn't need them after my salad, so I hope I remember this little bit of guilt.

Day 11: Thursday, March 21st

I'm very tired today and concerned about my shoulder pain. My goal is to get to the gym after work, because I've been putting it off for a week now.

Lunch: Vegetables (Eggplant, Zucchini) in chopped tomatoes with Tikka Masala seasoning, 1/4 Avocado

Snack: 4 (closed) handfulls of sunflower seeds

Dinner: 1 Pork chop, Broccoli, Salad (Mixed lettuce, SDTs, pumpkin seeds, EVOO)

Today I was super grumpy cat. I had a difficult day at work, my shoulder was bothering me and I was just in a funk! I booked my plane tickets to go home for a visit in May, so that should have given me a little lift, but I was just being a negative Nancy about EVERYTHING! And I didn't go to the gym. FAIL.

The positive that I would like to remember from today: My dinner was completely filling and satisfying, but I immediately started wishing there was something nice I could have to finish it off (like pineapple, which I love)!

I didn't have any pineapple at home, and I was full, so I really only wanted pineapple for the comfort after having a bad day. Once I realized that, I felt a tiny bit empowered that I was 'free' from an unnecessary craving.

It's funny the things we beat ourselves up over..pistachios ..of all things. : ) I had the same thoughts last night about blueberries and almonds

Hope your shoulder eases up. I find its day to day things that make mine flare up

You're so right, glimmer! I'm feeling a bit low today, so I'm really focusing on the negative of my pistachio binge, instead of the fact that I went to town on pistachios - not cookies, muffins, ice cream, or other sugar-laden goodies!

As for my shoulder, I went to a friend's house last night and felt tinges of pain everytime I put my car into second gear. I hope to do some shoulder work at the gym tonight, but I also think it might be time for another physio visit, and possibly some scans. Blerg!

TGIF!

I gave myself every excuse under the (lack of) sun today to not go to the gym this morning. I was wide awake and could have easily gone. But it was raining. And my shoulder hurt. And I can go later. And I just don't feel like it. Blah blah blah blah blah ....

We'll see if I actually make it after work.

Day 12: Friday, March 22nd

Lunch: 1 Pork chop, Vegetables (Eggplant, Zucchini) in chopped tomatoes with Tikka Masala seasoning, 1/4 Avocado

Dinner: Frittata (same as breakfast)

A week ago, I was feeling very nervous facing into the weekend - which is when I would normally eat with wreckless abandon (everyone knows that calories don't count on the weekends)! Anyway, today I have no fears about what the weekend holds for me, because I am committed to this program. I am doing this for a specific health reason that I care deeply about and I have no intention of quitting before my 30 days are up; I'm even thinking this may be a Whole40.

I definitely feel like I'm turning a corner - from super grumpy cat to less grumpy cat :)

AND ... I went to the gym tonight! I just had it in my head that I was going to go all afternoon. I even turned down a ride home after work.

Treadmill: 20 mins speed run (5 mins @ 5.5, 15 mins @ 6.5)

Bike: 10 mins Tabata sprints, 2 mins cool-down

Shoulder Physio

So all in all, despite my anger this week, things are looking up for Cassie M!

I woke up with shoulder pain :( I wonder if going to the gym is making my shoulder flare up more than normal, so in a way it's good that I have this log so that I can see if there's a pattern.

Day 13: Saturday, March 23rd

Breakfast: 3 fried eggs, 1/2 Avocado, 4 cherry tomatoes, 1 closed handfull of pistachios, Black coffee w/coconut oil

Lunch: 2 Nakd bars (cocoa orange & cashew cookie)

Dinner: Chicken salad (Chicken breast, mixed lettuce, roasted red peppers, jalapenos, harboiled egg), Sweet potato fries

I've realized that the weekends are just too busy for me to eat 3 complete meals, so while I feel bad that I resorted to Nakd bars while I was out and about, they kept me full between breakfast and dinner.

Shoulder pain. Again. Blerg.

Day 14: Sunday, March 24th

Breakfast: 3 fried eggs, 5 cherry tomatoes, 6 SDTs, Black coffee w/coconut oil

Lunch: Nakd bar (cashew), Homemade sweet potato fries, 4 (closed) handfulls of Unsalted mixed nuts

Dinner: Tacos (Beef mixed with carrots, mushrooms, chopped tomatoes & chilli powder with jalapenos in baby gem lettuce wraps)

Week 2 is complete and I'm feeling pretty OK. I exercised twice this week (whereas last week I was only at the gym once) so next week I'm going for 3 days! I recognize my reliance on nuts and Nakd bars as filler meals and snacks, so while this is an improvement area for me in the coming week, I'm OK with my choices for the most part.

Week 3 should be interesting - another long weekend (Good Friday and Easter Monday off) and a trip down the country. The force is strong within this one :)

Could it be The bike riding at the gym bothering your shoulder? My physio said not to do cycle/rpm until mine settled down due to the hunched over posture on the spin bike.

I don't think so - I do sprints on one of the bikes that you sit in like a chair (where the pedals are in front of you) and keep my arms on the handles at the side of the bike, so there's no hunching involved. I'm going to have to just bite the bullet and go back to my Physio!

Here we are - the start of Week 3. I'm feeling very positive about the week ahead!

Day 15: Monday, March 25th

Breakfast: 2 Chicken, sweet potato & kale patties, 1/4 Avocado

Lunch: Paleo Shepherd's Pie (Ground beef with carrots, celery & mushrooms topped off with mashed cauliflower), 1/4 Avocado

Snack: Nakd bar (pecan pie), 2 (closed) handfulls of Unsalted mixed nuts

Dinner: Chicken breast, broccoli, cherry tomatoes, Pineapple & Strawberries

I was left waiting at the doctor for a long time this afternoon, so when I got home I was absolutely starving. I ended up snacking on nuts to tide me over. I think this week I am going to bypass the grocery aisle with my mixed nuts and make up some kale chips instead. It's a pity convenience foods like nuts are so, well, convenient!

I've been thinking about Day 15 for a few days now - imagining that I will feel so great reaching the halfway point, but I am seriously considering extending this to at least a Whole40. Maybe declaring that here will make me stay compliant until at least the 40 day mark!

No shoulder pain this morning - hooray! Although I still don't know what's causing it to flare up, it's nice to wake up without initial pain.

Day 16: Tuesday, March 26th

Breakfast:Chicken, sweet potato & kale patty, 4 Cherry tomatoes, 1/4 Avocado

Snack: Nakd bar (ginger bread)

Lunch: Paleo Shepherd's Pie (Ground beef with carrots, celery & mushrooms topped off with mashed cauliflower), 1/4 Avocado, 3 Tbsp Sunflower seeds

Snack: 5 Tbsp Sunflower seeds, Apple

Dinner: Salted cashews

I only had 1 chicken patty this morning, so I'm interested to see if I get hungry earlier than I did yesterday, when I ate 2. Update: I got hungry a full hour earlier today than I did yesterday, so 2 chicken patties definitely sustain me throughout the morning.

I'm ravenously hungry today but have no idea why. I think this is a knock-on effect of my portion sizes for breakfast and lunch being too small.

Dinner tonight was a DISASTER! I had to go to focus groups for a few hours after work, and the research companies normally let us order dinner in, so I was sure that I would be able to just get a simple salad from wherever the group would order from. Not so with this researcher: I arrived to find a plate of sandwiches and chips. I couldn't even eat the contents of the sandwiches (chicken, beef, lettuce, tomatoes) because they were all slathered in mayo and butter. The only saving grace for me was a bowl of cashews and peanuts, so I strategically had to pick around the peanuts to get to the cashews.

While I was really angry about the whole dinner situation (and hungry, at that!) I refuse to be disappointed in myself for eating cashews when I am trying to kick my reliance on nuts. A much bigger goal for me is to learn how to adapt the principles of clean eating into my lifestyle. I could have just gone "Fuck it, this was a Whole16" and grabbed a sandwich, chips and cookies - but I didn't. Oftentimes in life we are handed lemons, so I made lemonade.

Another morning of no shoulder pain = happy Cassie!

Since I was at groups until late last night, I got to go to work later this morning. Instead of sleeping in, I got on my regular bus and hit the gym this morning - and I feel great!

Day 17: Wednesday, March 27th

Breakfast: Chicken, sweet potato and kale, 1/8 Avocado

Lunch: Paleo Shepherd's Pie (Ground beef with carrots, celery & mushrooms topped off with mashed cauliflower), Apple

Dinner: Salad (Mixed lettuce, Chicken, Sweet potatoes, 2 hardboiled eggs, Cherry tomatoes, Pumpkin seeds, Balsamic + EVOO), Pineapple, Strawberries & Blueberries

Gym

Shoulder Physio

20 min Circuit Training (Bench press, Squats, Military presses, Bike sprint, Lunges, Bicep curls, Treadmill sprint, Tricep extensions, Decline bench sit ups)

I doubled the portion size of my lunch and am happy to report that it kept me full all afternoon.

Feeling good!

Had a good start to the morning -- no shoulder pain! However, I do have ... DOMS! Squats and lunges for the win :)

Day 18: Thursday, March 28th

Breakfast: 2 hardboiled eggs, Chicken, sweet potato and kale

Lunch: Paleo Shepherd's Pie (Ground beef with carrots, celery & mushrooms topped off with mashed cauliflower), Lettuce

Snack: Nakd bar (Ginger bread)

Dinner: Salad (Mixed lettuce, chicken, sweet potatoes, cherry tomatoes, avocado, pumpkin seeds, balsamic + EVOO), Pineapple & Strawberries

It's a long weekend (Friday and Monday off) and I'm going to be faced with a lot of temptations; in fact, it's already begun!

(1) I got a care package from my parents yesterday and in it was a bag of my mom's homemade peanut butter sandwich cookies - which I love! It was so sweet of my mom to bake these specially for me and ship them 5000 miles. It warms my heart that she cares that much to give me a taste of home. I have decided that I will put these in the freezer for my post-W30.

(2) This morning, the boss came around with giant chocolate Easter eggs for everybody, so I have that as well. I have no problem putting that aside. Happy Easter, husband!

(3) We're going away this weekend, which means we'll be eating breakfasts and dinners out. I've already scanned a few menus from where we'll be so that I have an idea of where I can eat, and I'll be cooking up and packing a few compliant items just in case. Nakd bars and nuts will likely feature, but I am OK with that decision.

My stomach is acting up today - I'm cycling between feeling sick and feeling hungry. Not sure what's going on, but I am certain that clean and healthy eating is doing no harm.

Happy Friday - and it's day 1 of a 4 day weekend :)

I slept well, I haven't had any waking shoulder pain and it isn't snowing today, so the day is starting grrrrrreat (mmm...Frosted Flakes)!

Day 19: Friday, March 29th

Breakfast: 2 cinnamon banana pancakes with almond butter, 1/2 Avocado

Lunch: Steak with roasted mushrooms, Salad, Nakd bar

Dinner: Cajun flavored salmon with Carrots and Snap peas

Hiking: Killarney National Park, 4 miles

We're going away for 2 days today and will be hiking, biking and exploring a part of this country that I haven't been to, so I'm really looking forward to disconnecting from the internets for a few days.

I'll come back and log my meals when I'm home on Sunday.

Archived