Day 14-Also doing Candida Detox...help!

Hi everyone! I am super new to this, so forgive me if this is long! :) So, I have had "gut" issues for a long, long time...pretty much in every way imaginable, for years. I heard of Whole30 about three weeks ago and decided to start on a whim two weeks ago, because I had a colon hydrotherapy appointment the next day and needed to follow a strict diet for that, so I figured, what better time to start? Well, after visiting my naturopath, it seems I am also dealing with a candida overgrowth in my digestive system, so along with Whole30, I am following the candida diet...very little of certain fruits, limited sweet potatoes, if any...as well as limited winter vegetables, no vinegar, as well as some other things. I also started YeastMax (a detox) last week. So, as soon as I got through the first 7 days of the Whole30 slump, I started the "healing crisis" of the yeast detox. NOT.FUN. and very discouraging for me. I was wondering if anyone has done these two things together, and if so, if you have any advice for me? I'm feeling like I am at my breaking point because my food options are even more limited...at this point, I just want some food with flavor!!! I have seven hydrotherapy appointments during my days of Whole30 and am not supposed to eat meat during the day before and light meals only for two days following. I'm finding it extremely difficult to get full or satisfied those days. Any suggestions or advice is appreciated! Thanks so much!

• Moderators

I'm sorry. You can't complete these competing protocols at the same time. The choices you make for one compromises the program of the other. I suggest you complete what you are doing with your naturopath and then begin a Whole30 when you can follow its guidelines completely.

I did a strict candida protocol (during pregnancy, ack!) so I can sympathize. That was a couple of years ago for me, but totally worth it. Whole30 has helped me tweak my diet even more to know exactly what foods nourish me and what foods harm me. Frankly, I always thought there were too many choices to deal with.

Good luck on your healing path. And I'm jealous because my city doesn't have a SINGLE colon hydrotherapist.

Thanks for your input guys! :) Tom, I'm confused as to why I can't do both. If I were to stop Whole30 at this point, the ONLY thing I would even consider adding to my diet that is allowed in the Candida diet is yogurt. Because of that, I am going to keep on trucking unless you have more info that could enlighten me? Thanks!

• Moderators

Tom, I'm confused as to why I can't do both. If I were to stop Whole30 at this point, the ONLY thing I would even consider adding to my diet that is allowed in the Candida diet is yogurt. Because of that, I am going to keep on trucking unless you have more info that could enlighten me? Thanks!

You started this conversation complaining that you were finding it difficult to get full or satisfied. By following the candida protocol and associated colon thing you are not doing a real Whole30. By not eating meat the day before your colon appointments and restricting calories by eating light for 2 days after appointments, you are not following the Whole30 protocol. Such restrictions are not consistent with eating protein at every meal, eating three meals every day, following the meal template, etc. Even restricting the vegetables you eat distorts the Whole30 program. A Whole30 is way more than limiting what you eat to selections from a certain grocery list. You might call the limited thing you are doing a Whole30, but you deserve to experience a real one, not a shadow. Being hungry and unsatisfied is a long way from doing a Whole30.

I'm sorry if I came across as complaining...I wasn't trying to do that. However, I totally understand what you are saying. Thank you for the information! I have definitely thought many times through all of this, I should have researched Whole30 more before beginning it. I am going to continue to what I am doing and will probably extend or restart the Whole30 aspect of it once I am finished taking care of the candida and can fully enjoy Whole30. Thanks again!

Haha, we all have it in our genes! Can't imagine some of the crabby and grumpy laughs you get from us carb deprived newbies when we are starting all of this! Thanks again for all of your info...I've loved checking out all of your recipes...they've been a huge help in all of this!

Archived