Starting today! Will my runs suffer?

Tveen

Hello everyone!

Today is my first day of my first time doing whole 30! I'm so excited! I have a question though. I'm a runner and run between 30-40 miles per week...doing about 6-8 miles per day. Should I expect my runs to be slower or shorter during my first week? Should I take it easy this week, maybe doing shorter 4 milers? Has anyone had experience with this?

Thanks!

• Moderators

Many people feel off during their first week or two and some must back off on training volume and effort. Personally, my stomach felt wrong for the first 2 weeks, but I was able to do everything I had been doing without noticeable performance changes.

No, since you are already running regularly you shouldn't need to decrease your miles or effort. Or, at least you shouldn't anitcipate it going in. You may have less energy but should be able to get through your ordinary workouts. It sounds like you are in tune with your body, so go by feel. You'll be fine.

fwiw, I picked up my training during my W30 last month and did 30 consecutive workouts in conjunction with it. Some days were better than others, but isn't that always the case?

Not a distance runner but do sprint,stadium stairs, etc

My first two week legs felt like lead,( then I kicked into high gear with after burners!).... But I'm pushing real hard 90-95% max efforts.... I think if you stay just below anaerobic threshold ... You'll be fine

• 4 weeks later...

I'm on day 4 and i can feel the affects in both my work outs and running. i avg about 70miles a month, and my last 2 runs I've been avg about 1 min more per mile. i feel out of breath during my works out and post runs and just overall i'm a bit sluggish. I do eat a hard boiled egg pre workout and i have a sweet potato for post work outs along with my spinach omelet as I train in the mornings. I know this is what was expected and i'm just trying to push through to week 2. I timed the start of the w30 poorly as i have the SF rock n roll half this Sunday, :( I'm not sure what to do besides loading up on sweet potatoes and eggs the day before....and since i cant have my GU on race day, not sure how i'll avert those cramps if i get any....i'm going to just have to stop at all the orange or banana stations....

Steve, I'm not 100% sure how large you are, but you should be eating far more than just 1 sweet potato to fuel your endurance efforts.

I'm a larger female, 5'8" and 77kg right now, and as a purely strength athlete, I need one a day or else MY workouts tank. You're doing endurance stuff, so you totally need more than that, even without considering size.

EAT MORE.

And yes, you're going to have to push through the half. Bananas and oranges are your friend. :)

I'm on day 4 and i can feel the affects in both my work outs and running. i avg about 70miles a month, and my last 2 runs I've been avg about 1 min more per mile. i feel out of breath during my works out and post runs and just overall i'm a bit sluggish. I do eat a hard boiled egg pre workout and i have a sweet potato for post work outs along with my spinach omelet as I train in the mornings. I know this is what was expected and i'm just trying to push through to week 2. I timed the start of the w30 poorly as i have the SF rock n roll half this Sunday, :( I'm not sure what to do besides loading up on sweet potatoes and eggs the day before....and since i cant have my GU on race day, not sure how i'll avert those cramps if i get any....i'm going to just have to stop at all the orange or banana stations....

I am a long distance runner too and I am half way thru Whole30. Today I will finally resume my runs after two months of babyin an injured foot after my last marathon. I bought the book "Paleo diet for Athletes" because after completing this program I am going paleo. I like how we can modify our diet according to our energy requirements, it tells you what carbs from fruit to eat before and post workout based on glycemic index and fiber and why. I highly recommend this book for any athlete that doens't want to look back after W30

Intererested in this too. I started the program last Monday and all was well, even on my tempo run, until Fridays run. I couldnt run 5 miles.

Sunday, I had a scheduled 16 miler and the first 10 felt great, but the last 6 I had 0 energy. What should or can do I be doing for fueling options on long runs?

Intererested in this too. I started the program last Monday and all was well, even on my tempo run, until Fridays run. I couldnt run 5 miles.

Sunday, I had a scheduled 16 miler and the first 10 felt great, but the last 6 I had 0 energy. What should or can do I be doing for fueling options on long runs?

Eat. Preferably a starchy carb (1/2 to 1 sweet potato/serving of squash/parsnip/pumpkin/etc) if energy levels are suffering, 1/2 meal sized serving of protein (HB egg, or chicken, or tuna, or oysters, or sardines, et cetera) and 1/2 meal sized serving of healthy fat. Aim for 15-75 minutes Pre-workout.

@Kim, Yeah, my pre-workout at around 6am is usually just 1 hard boiled egg. but when i get back from either the gym or a run, i'll have a saute spinach and 3 egg omelet. usually can hold me over until lunch....

@Renee, yeah, i'm about 200lbs and i love me some sweet potatoes, it was my friend at the last half marathon.

So i got up at 5am this past sunday to prepare for my 7am half marathon. I decided i needed to have a good breakfast, so I had 1/2 sweet potato and a 3 egg spinach omelet, and wow....i PR'd....and this was after some really lousy runs in my first week of w30. not sure if it was because it was my body getting adjusted, or i had a good breakfast, but I felt the best on this run out of my last 5 half marathons. At the end of the race, I immediately had 2 bananas and a sweet potato and I felt great for the rest of the morning.

I guess it was just the first week blues of the w30...cuz now on day 11....i'm starting to get my energy level back.

Archived