WholeNila

Nila

That whole, er, Whole60 thing didn't quite work out. I'm going with as WholeAsICan which is pretty much most days. It seems only fair to those doing a real Whole30 or trying to read logs of those who are for me to move myself over here to the Post-Whole30 Log Forum. So...

Welcome! I don't know that I'll post all of what I eat here every day. I might some days. I might tell you what sleep was like or exercise. I'll surely muse about my healing journey and my attempt to remain paleo. I will attempt to post images or be entertaining in little ways.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made a rockin' soup tonight. My kids loved it.

I browned a 2 pounds of ground chicken/pork sausage with a ginormous onion and the middle anemic cloves of a bulb of garlic. Oh, some ghee too. A thumb or two. I didn't count. To that I added 2 medium sweet potatoes that were diced in about half inch chunks, a bag of frozen kale, 6 cups of chicken broth, about 8 shakes of Cholula, 1/2 teaspoon or so of sea salt, and as many twists of the pepper mill as felt comfortable (and before I got bored). This yielded a full soup...big chunkiness to broth ratio. Just the way I like it.

It's probably a good thing I'm capturing it somewhere for when I need to make it again.

If I remember to take a picture tomorrow when I eat leftovers, I'll post it.

3/13/13 (hey, that's kind of cool)

Sleep: 11.25 hours! I has several consecutive short nights of sleep followed by one that was simply a stinker. Last night I was asleep by 7:45 and finally rolled out of bed at 7:10 this morning. I feel just about normal today. Normal in terms of sleep, that is. I never want to be truly normal. How boring.

Eaten, so far:

1. Omelet with bacon, tomato, herbs, avocado; chicken sausage; half avocado
  2. Roasted sweet potato; sausage, kale, sweet potato soup

I made a much needed trip to the store today. We've worked 6-day weeks the last 2 weeks and Sundays have been sort of wall-to-wall too. That means I missed the ability to shop, organize and clean for a while. I can miss one week. Two gets seriously ugly. It's not like vacation when we go away so things aren't stacking up at home. Because our business is in our home and we're all still going about our regular activities (and then some), the dishes, clothes, dog hair tumbleweeds, and all that goes with life still stacks up. I had to carve time out of business today to get some of that all done. The damned tumbleweeds are still there though. I'll get about an hour of work in today before I head off to do the daily mom marathon.

Vacation, anyone?

Okay, gang, I need some help. I feel like I'm right at the top of the slippery slope. I ate a crapload of fries tonight - the white potato kind. I fear I'm in the daily-excuse making mode that will lead me into the dark place. Where is the zeal I had just 2 months ago? What the heck? Do I need to fully commit to another Whole30? How do I back away from that edge?

Let me just say, I so feel you. I did great for most of February (the few times I 'offroaded' were well thought out and social events) but in early March I found myself eating a lot of dark chocolate, drinking beer a few nights in a row (with friends but still...I have friends who would drink beer with me a lot so this needs to be squashed) and it seemed I was sliding into the world of bad eating choices too often (for example one night I came home from yoga and because I didn't have dinner planned I ate a bag of my daughter's school lunch box cheddar bunnies and a cupcake, just crap I didn't want/need). That is why I decided to do this second Whole 30. And you know what? I've really learned a lot these past three days. It has been so different from my last one for sure.

I'm real into the log idea now too. Also, that book I read a while ago I mentioned before 'Eating by the Light of the Moon' had us keep a food eating journal which was essentially what you ate and how you were feeling when you ate it (just after talking to my mother, stressed) etc. Maybe you could do that with food choices you are unhappy you make which may just help you be aware in the future?

If it were me I would keep experimenting a little longer before you commit to another Whole30. I guess see how things go. Maybe the fries were enough to push you back on track. I feel like my husband is just doing this second Whole30 because I am and his attitude was at first difficult for me and then I decided that is his issue and just let it go. I will support him with healthy foods in the house and meals etc. but he ulitmately has to be responsible for his Whole30.

Let me just say, I so feel you. I did great for most of February (the few times I 'offroaded' were well thought out and social events) but in early March I found myself eating a lot of dark chocolate, drinking beer a few nights in a row (with friends but still...I have friends who would drink beer with me a lot so this needs to be squashed) and it seemed I was sliding into the world of bad eating choices too often (for example one night I came home from yoga and because I didn't have dinner planned I ate a bag of my daughter's school lunch box cheddar bunnies and a cupcake, just crap I didn't want/need). That is why I decided to do this second Whole 30. And you know what? I've really learned a lot these past three days. It has been so different from my last one for sure.

I'm real into the log idea now too. Also, that book I read a while ago I mentioned before 'Eating by the Light of the Moon' had us keep a food eating journal which was essentially what you ate and how you were feeling when you ate it (just after talking to my mother, stressed) etc. Maybe you could do that with food choices you are unhappy you make which may just help you be aware in the future?

If it were me I would keep experimenting a little longer before you commit to another Whole30. I guess see how things go. Maybe the fries were enough to push you back on track. I feel like my husband is just doing this second Whole30 because I am and his attitude was at first difficult for me and then I decided that is his issue and just let it go. I will support him with healthy foods in the house and meals etc. but he ulitmately has to be responsible for his Whole30.

Thanks Helen. I appreciate your perspective and advice. There is much wisdom there.

Pi Day

Sleep: 8.25 hours

Exercise: ehh, nothing yet. I'll practice a little yoga later but I do that more for flexibility and preparation for meditation.

Eaten:

1. Sausage, kale, potato soup - the last of it
  2. Omelet with bacon, avocado, chipotle; more bacon; greens without dressing
  3. Banana
  4. Hazelnuts and raisins
  5. Chicken breast (marinated in olive oil and spices, broiled and cubed), cauliflower rice, guacamole, black olives

I am STILL sleepy. I think I'm just burning through all of my energy with a hoppin' schedule. It's the time of year when all the sports and extracurriculars come crashing together. We've had two concerts and two play performances this week (kids, not me). I thought I had a free and clear Saturday but my son's school's basketball team made it to semi-state, so I'll be driving him to the game almost 2 hours away. The good news is that we're winding our way into spring break. My daughter gets 2 weeks and my son gets 1, and it overlaps with one of hers. That means no outside obligations, no driving to and fro. I can cook on a normal schedule! Wheee!!! As soon as spring break is over, we'll be slammed with the blitz that is the last 8 weeks of school. Lacrosse games, track meets, concerts, finals, and and and... Stepping back, I'll just say that I'm grateful that I have the flexibility to do all of this with my kids. :)

I'm off now to listen to some philosophy lectures (yep, I'm doing that for fun), some planning for tomorrow, and into the evening routine.

I'm having my own struggles and will post soon. Seriously considering another Whole 30 though.

Where will you post? I want to make sure I read it. Let me know how I may support you.

Oh Nila, Nila, Nila......I appreciate you.

I remember a decade ago when I turned 40, it was as though I could hear the wheels of my metabolism screeching to a halt......problem was it took me about six months to realize the effects age were having on my body. Well, here I am at 50 years and a few months and I'm pretty sure I've put on ten lbs. since my Whole 30 ended at the end of January. (i still avoid the scale so I'm not sure.) I don't think eating is solely the problem.....only food indulgence I have is a Mexican meal (minus any shells) but with beans, chips and salsa about every two weeks. There are a couple of things I definitely need to adjust - one is to resume a more active exercise routine. I went out for a slow run today and am happy that I took that first step. I'm also re-evaluating portion sizes. And I need to avoid having a glass of wine with dinner. Other than that, I usually get 7 to 9 hours of sleep (even with night sweats and hot flashes) and i think I'm handling stress well, although work has been a beast lately.

With those three changes, I'm hoping I can return to feeling fabulous - with or without another Whole 30. I had said all along that I would consider a Whole 30 once a quarter....so I'm seriously considering one for the month of April. It's all about good health and longevity still.....but dang the body image issue! So hard being a woman sometimes!

It's all about good health and longevity still.....but dang the body image issue! So hard being a woman sometimes!

Reminds me of something I read recently on NPR's site:

Somehow it is not enough to be. We need to be perfect. Perfectly lean and muscular. Perfectly healthy. We need perfect sex lives with our perfect partners. And we need perfect kids too. And we need to figure it all out and do it by ourselves, in the setting of our private little start-ups we call families.

This little tidbit from NPR was also intriguing. I find it useful to bring up this issue of perfection and to poke at it a little. Sometimes I feel like we all just need to take a step back and look at how well things are going and how wonderful we are — even in our flawed, terribly human state. Hugs coming at you from a few states away!

Oh Nila, Nila, Nila......I appreciate you.

I remember a decade ago when I turned 40, it was as though I could hear the wheels of my metabolism screeching to a halt......problem was it took me about six months to realize the effects age were having on my body. Well, here I am at 50 years and a few months and I'm pretty sure I've put on ten lbs. since my Whole 30 ended at the end of January. (i still avoid the scale so I'm not sure.) I don't think eating is solely the problem.....only food indulgence I have is a Mexican meal (minus any shells) but with beans, chips and salsa about every two weeks. There are a couple of things I definitely need to adjust - one is to resume a more active exercise routine. I went out for a slow run today and am happy that I took that first step. I'm also re-evaluating portion sizes. And I need to avoid having a glass of wine with dinner. Other than that, I usually get 7 to 9 hours of sleep (even with night sweats and hot flashes) and i think I'm handling stress well, although work has been a beast lately.

With those three changes, I'm hoping I can return to feeling fabulous - with or without another Whole 30. I had said all along that I would consider a Whole 30 once a quarter....so I'm seriously considering one for the month of April. It's all about good health and longevity still.....but dang the body image issue! So hard being a woman sometimes!

Thank you so much for the appreciation! It is so very mutual.

I'm 46 and am increasingly reminded that's a 4 and not a 3. I've probably been in a long slow perimenopause though no doctor has dared say so. I certainly don't have as full of hair as I used to. Heck, I couldn't given the small animal that grows on my shower drain in a matter of minutes daily. If I don't do some stretching or yoga at least every other day, I definitely feel that I haven't. It's crazy that sitting at a desk can feel so bad.

So, moving to every-other-night wine, perhaps? :) My wish for you is that you'll feel fabulous with or without full "compliance" to your adjustments. You're fabulous to me.

Reminds me of something I read recently on NPR's site:

This little tidbit from NPR was also intriguing. I find it useful to bring up this issue of perfection and to poke at it a little. Sometimes I feel like we all just need to take a step back and look at how well things are going and how wonderful we are — even in our flawed, terribly human state. Hugs coming at you from a few states away!

Wonderful. Good reminder. Thank you!

Food Spot Check

I'm taking a philosophy course that is taking a lot of the time I'd normally spend here reading and writing. And more is also shaved off by an increased family taxi schedule as well as a few new client projects. So I'm just going to log when I can.

Eaten

1. bunch of broccolini cut bite-sized, steam sautéed, drizzled with ghee; pork/turkey sausage and three egg scramble with a little ghee
  2. sausage and kale soup (husband proclaimed my soup "a little weedy")
  3. a quarter of a banana - was too ripe but the dog loved it
  4. Kit's Organic cashew bar
  5. pulled chicken with onions and peppers, lettuce, black olives, roasted tomatoes, dill pickle slices (yep, sounds weird but it was tasty); warm cherries with coconut milk

And now to stretch, meditate and get as much sleep as I can. Good night!

I love that your dog eats bananas. I am finding bananas too sweet lately. Weird how things change.

I need to make some soups but I'm finding I just like to eat simply which is so weird because it is how I 'used to eat' when I was single and then got into thinking everything had to be fancy.

My dog also like raw cabbage. She's a little odd and maybe has some disordered eating. Go figure.

And...dropping by to say hi. I'm reading when I can but not writing. Soon I will.

Happy day to all!

Starting today, I'm logging as I go what I eat in "notes" on my iPhone so that I'm more likely to capture it here. We'll know if that works if you see regular daily posts from me.

Friday I saw my new doctor for a longer, consultative appointment. On the happy side of things I was pleasantly surprised to find I'd lost another 5 pounds in about a month. I expected my weight to be the same though I didn't think about it that much.

The doctor had looked through my records and needed to study a couple of other things she didn't have or wasn't aware of. I have a battery of blood tests set up for 2 months and then a follow up appointment a few weeks later.

In the meantime, Metformin has been added back. I had taken it for 3 years and my blood insulin (I do not take insulin, nor am I diabetic) levels dropped to the highest end of normal. So I stopped taking the drug. In December (about a year after stopping the Metformin), the insulin level had climbed back up into the ridiculous category in spite of my mostly good efforts at keeping it steady with diet. So, the Metformin is back. Sigh. I suppose if it does the trick, I shouldn't feel so badly about it.

She also prescribed niacin and aspirin (the higher dose). I won't get into the details here. A number of measurable factors together put me at high risk for cardiovascular ugliness down the road. Dang. I thought daily aspirin was for those 60 and older.

Here's how this is Whole9 related: Dr. H saw that I was doing an almost entirely paleo diet (minor off-roading here and there) and didn't ask me to change a thing. I am to stay the course. I think I'm in the camp of WholeAnything by itself isn't enough to fix what genetic wiring and years of dysfunction created. A Whole9 lifestyle is a part of all the things I need to do.

Dr. H didn't say anything, but I know that I need to get more exercise into my life. Yoga probably isn't enough. Mark Sisson's "Move Frequently at a Slow Pace" is exactly the type of exercise that has been shown to increase insulin sensitivity and all kinds of other good things - the good things that I need. I'm sure that exercise conversation will happen in June. Maybe I can get there before we have "the talk."

Due to cost concerns, I was able to work with the doctor to shave off a number of supplements. I will, by agreement, have to be more diligent about getting a variety of vegetables into my diet. I put on a big pot of chili this morning with lots and lots of vegetables. My husband would happily live without them, so I minced a number of non-traditional chili vegetables with some jalapeño peppers in the food processor. I doubt he'll notice since he won't see them. :ph34r: Mwahahahaha!

Happy day to all! :D

My husband would happily live without them, so I minced a number of non-traditional chili vegetables with some jalapeño peppers in the food processor. I doubt he'll notice since he won't see them. :ph34r: Mwahahahaha!

I do that for bolegnase too - my recipe is prob halff vegetables :)

For exercise, I highly recommend the book Spark: the Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Mind.

Besides improving physical health, studies have shown that aerobic exercise also helps with mood, attention, and keeping the brain fit as we age. It also releases serotonin, dopamine, and other pleasurable chemicals in the brain, so it can be used in short spurts to fight cravings or give you a wake up jolt (think 5-10 minute of jumping jacks or brisk walking).

I'm glad you feel good about everything with your doctor. I think just walking away feeling good is a great feeling. I usually walk away feeling so disatisfied. And also cool about the Paleo diet. I plan to stay mostly compliant with a little off-roading as well. I go insane if I don't move but lately I'm all about the yoga (but I do pretty vigorous vinyasa flow most days). I do like the elliptical at the gym. Also, my other (first) love is dance. Zumba really is fun. I used to do NIA two times a week but am down to one day now. It is a movement type of dance (more new-agey, great music). I LOVE Nia. It is like moving yoga :)

nianow.com

For exercise, I highly recommend the book Spark: the Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Mind.

Besides improving physical health, studies have shown that aerobic exercise also helps with mood, attention, and keeping the brain fit as we age. It also releases serotonin, dopamine, and other pleasurable chemicals in the brain, so it can be used in short spurts to fight cravings or give you a wake up jolt (think 5-10 minute of jumping jacks or brisk walking).

Hi Casey. Good to "meet" you. It's funny, just an hour ago I was looking through my Amazon wish list and saw that I had put Spark on there some time ago. Looks like I'll have to check it out.

Archived