Need advice.. still losing weight post whole30 & it's not good!

PonyLove

I need some advice...

My husband and I just recently finished our second whole 30.

The first one we reached all our weight and fitness goals and the second was to clean up & get back on track after Christmas and a 3 week holiday in Hawaii! (too many cocktails and American fast food!)

I seem to have levelled out my weight is maintaining pretty much exactly where I want it with no consideration, I mean.. I don't try to maintain it it just is... I'm 5'5" and 130 pounds (58kg).

We are pretty much still living whole 30 every day but we'll bend the rules on special occassions, maybe on the weekend every now and then.

The problem is.. my husband is still losing weight. He has lost almost 20kg from our first whole30 in September last year and I can't put weight back on him!

He's at the point he can't afford to lose any more. He is 6' and I think about 152 pounds (69kg) ish.

He's not working out particularly hard.. a couple of light gym sessions a week and one crossfit session. He's not working at the moment so he's really lazing around and not burning calories.

I know he's stressed trying to find a job.. perhaps that's it..

I just don't know how to feed him more! He eats until he is full, I make sure his meals are at least 150%-175% the size of mine and I workout everyday! We follow the meal plan.. except I'll admit we've never done the pre & post workout meals.. 3 meals a day is enough food prep for me!

I was wondering if there are any 'other' foods I could introduce back into his diet to help put some weight back on him. I'm a little concerned. His muscles respond really well to training but he doesn't hold it.. He's looking very slim.. don't get me wrong.. he does look good but enough is enough.. he can't lose any more and he needs to maintain some muscle.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Hi Elise!

I see lots of people reading your thread but no one is commenting--so I'll toss my 2 cents out here for you. First of all your husband has a problem that I am sure lots of people on here would love to have (ha ha)--but I know with his tall frame any additional weight loss would be alarming and probably not very healthy for him. I have absolutely no medical background so please take this with a grain of salt but your first action might be to make a doctor appointment and make sure there is nothing medically wrong with your husband--just to be on the safe side. Barring a medical reason for him to be losing weight you might want to steer him towards all the delicious holy grail of food that those of us wanting to lose weight try to avoid. Hello nuts and nut butters! Not only do they have a good amount of calories but the calories are coming from good fat. Toss some avocado in a couple of your hubby's meals too. I don't particularly find nuts filling (I could eat a whole jar and still want more) so maybe your husband can add them in and bump up his calories without feeling too stuffed. Just remember peanuts are a no-no : )

Good luck and congrats on doing so well and staying W30-ified.

Elise, fat sources like suggested above are going to be the best bang for your buck.

Outside of that, you could reintroduce white rice, assuming he tolerates it well. It's essentially pure starch, so there isn't going to be a lot of micronutrient value here, but if he needs the extra calories, it's a good place to find them.

Elise, fat sources like suggested above are going to be the best bang for your buck.

Outside of that, you could reintroduce white rice, assuming he tolerates it well. It's essentially pure starch, so there isn't going to be a lot of micronutrient value here, but if he needs the extra calories, it's a good place to find them.

Similar to rice, would white potatoes be a good option for him? I know that for me, while I can digest them without difficulty, they definitely put the kibash on any weight loss almost immediately.

Thanks everyone.. yes after the first W30 we did the proper re-intro and he can definitely not have dairy or gluten (his mother is coeliac & his whole family is intolerant).. but he was fine with rice.

I was thinking white rice and white potatoes for him so I'm glad i was on the right track... I'll keep monitoring his weight and the changes we eat lots of avocados & nuts already.. daily!

Someone suggested a protein shake around workouts, I know there are a few on the market that aren't too bad.

and yes.. he is lucky/unlucky to have that kind of metabolism! He just costs alot to feed :blink:

Thanks

• 2 months later...

I know this is kind of a late reply, but I was having the same problem. I got down to 104 lbs. at 5'1" and decided that was enough. I've been eating sweet potatoes a few times a week, and that seemed to level off my weight loss. Plus, I love them! We peel and dice them, then cook them in a big pan in coconut oil. They get crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Also great with some sauteed greens and a couple fried eggs on top. 

Hi.. I certainly don't have this problem!

Tim seems  to have levelled out.. he is no longer losing although he's stayed very slim.  I think his metabolism is just incredible now.. He's 20kg down from our first whole 30 in September last year.

Funnily enough it's our Day 1 today of another.  Obviously weightloss isn't a factor this time, we just need the rules to behave!  If anything we are trying to improve our body compsition and keep weight on Tim.    Honestly he eats until he is full.. I think I might forcefeed him a little more and see if we can fatten him up a little.. heheheh it's completely opposite for most people!

And.. yes.. Sweet potatoes ROCK!! 

Archived