calorie counting dilemma

I have completed my Whole30 and it has been a really eye opening and wonderful experience for both my husband and myself.

I haven't gone back to tracking yet, but this past week I find myself logging into my myfitnesspal.com account. I'll start to log food and then stop. HELP!

I have tracked my foods for the past eight years either with Weight Watchers of MyFitnessPal. I lost 100lbs on Weight Watchers and had gained 30 back and really want to lose those 30 to be at my ideal healthy weight.

For some reason it's SO hard for me to completely get go of the idea of tracking. Trust me, I completely understand how it can be bad and make you become obsessive and restrictive and all the bad things. On the other hand, it has helped me lose weight before.

I don't so much have a question here, but I am looking for support and would like to hear others post W30 experience with weight loss and NOT tracking.

Thanks all! <3

You use WW & MFP for eight years and lost weight and gained weight back. Are you sure those things really worked? I might say they didn't work very well. I would definitely say commit a little more time to W30 style before you go back to your old way. Maybe your hormones didn't reset yet. I'm reading the book for the second time now and it's like totally new information- especially some of the complex hormone stuff.

I'm sorry I don't have a fabulous postw30

success story to regale you with but that's only

because since I started following w30 rules 40 something days ago I just kept refining and restarting, so I'm not postw30 yet and don't know when I will be. It has changed my relationship not only with food but with my body image. I want that for you too! I don't know if anything I wrote will encourage you towards that, but I couldn't just not say anything.

Tracking can surely feel comforting, structured, and like something is happening that doesn't have a limited shelf life--but it's really the case that it does. It's a short-term fix for a life problem, i.e. anxiety about eating. I don't think I can say it better than moluv, but in my experience so far, I no longer feel like I'm handling a problem, I feel like I have gone back to just eating. I fervently believe that tracking, counting calories or points, and weighing both food and myself have built-in problems that exacerbate our health and weight-loss goals. For myself, I consider the day I discovered the Whole 30 to be nothing less than a blessing in my life.

I do, do understand the desire to do what you're doing, but I so strongly wish that you might consider it's not going to help you or give you what you want. Thanks for posting this.

You are more than the sum total of the calories you eat!

Repeat that mantra every morning at sunrise, and believe it.... Live life, enjoy life, and be healthy and free..... Calorie counting= stress, stress= hormone imbalance= unhappy=binge eating=self loathing= cycle of slavery to food/obsession/scale= bad.....

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Danielle, you're not alone.

I too am trying really, really hard to break the habit of counting calories and obsessing over numbers. In fact, it's something that once nearly killed me..I got head over heels deep end sucked in to the point of hospitalization for anorexia..the sick part is that I used to look in the mirror at my all time low weight and feel disgusting, behemoth sized and not at all ok with myself.

These behaviors become habit, and habits are hard to break. I'll admit here that yes, I am still using myfitnesspal. Yes, post W30 I am still counting (well, kind of) my calories; however, the psychological implementation has vastly, deeply, completely changed since January 2012. Nowadays I do log my meals, however, I do so more for the nutritional breakdown of my days/weeks. This is still not an excuse and still a habit I need to break. I am more than the sum number of calories I eat, or what the number on my scale tells me that I am, or the size of jeans I wear. I'm learning and growing and shifting and evolving on a daily basis. I'm well within the healthy weight range for my size and age. I exercise and eat well and I am (learning to truly) someone who generally likes who she sees in the mirror, despite being a completely different body shape than I was a year ago.

That said, I still have a long way to go. I don't have a Sugar Dragon; however, I have a Number Demon, and I'm gearing up to slay it once and for all. My fiance is wonderful and supportive and likes to eat well himself; we will be moving to the coast in a few months, and we're looking forward to completing a W30 (his first, my second) when we are there and settled. The added promise to myself this time is that when it's over, calorie counting stays in the past, too.

I know it seems like something easy to stop doing from the outside looking in; however, know that you are not the only one who feels the frustration from the inside looking out.

We are more than the number of calories we eat. We are the summation of the good things we do for ourselves; and when the inside smiles, the outside does too.

Sorry for long post, just my $0.02.

I'll admit here that yes, I am still using myfitnesspal.

Stacey, please STOP! You may think you have it under control, but the fact that you continue to use it even when you know it is destructive means you don't. Be good to yourself too, that means dropping the calorie-counting ap now. Don't give yourself excuses to continue until x-date or x-event. just stop.

Stacey, please STOP! You may think you have it under control, but the fact that you continue to use it even when you know it is distructive means you don't. Be good to yourself too, that means dropping the calorie-counting ap now. Don't give yourself excuses to continue until x-date or x-event. just stop.

Love the tough lovin'!! It's actually been deleted from my iPhone post-posting my reply last night. :wub: :wub: this forum is wonderful.

Archived