Mixed results, mixed emotions

kimmy8982

I hesitate to post this, because from reading the forums i know what people will tell me. But I think sometimes perspective comes from writing things down. So here goes. I've just completed day 24 and this weekend I had my first real "test." Since beginning my whole30 I've been in "keep busy/hibernation mode" to avoid temptation and difficult situations. But this weekend I was visiting family and friends and was faced with birthday cakes, mom's non-paleo home cooking and bottles upon bottles of wine. And I'm proud to say I didn't flinch for a second. I brought along prepared foods and concentrated on enjoying the people instead of the cuisine. I have to say, ending a family gathering not feeling stuffed and tired felt pretty good actually.

So far the main positive changes for me have been that I sleep much deeper, my energy level is higher and more consistent, and my skin has cleared up. The main reason I began this challenge, however, is to lose weight, to feel better in my clothes and to lose the back pain cause by the weight I carry on my chest. This part does not seem to be happening for me, however and it's putting a little rain cloud above my other victories. I've been discouraged, but then I feel guilty about being discouraged because I know people will say, look at all the other great benefits you've had, and give it time. I think though, admitting my disappointment out loud is a good thing, mostly because regardless of it, I'm carrying on. It's okay to have goals and hopefully I will achieve them slowly and healthfully. Here's to the last 6 days of my whole30, and beyond.

Often we build up an event in our minds so much and pin so many hopes and dreams on it that it can only fail to meet our expectations. I know that's a common thing for me. I've read a lot of entries on this forum about how the "magic" didn't kick in until the very end, so there's still a chance you might feel like the experience met or surpassed your goals. But I think weight is a tricky thing to pin success on. It can go on fast but take forever to come back off! You have had some really positive results, hopefully this has started you on a path to lifelong health.

Kimmy - I agree, sometimes voicing our disappointment is the best thing to do. You can't change the fact that you feel disappointed and you're entitled to it! It's ok!

Just out of curiosity how much weight did you want to lose? I ask because from your profile pic you look to be at a naturally healthy weight. Are you wanting to lose weight but not really need to?

I agree with krista - sometimes it takes longer than 30 days. I am on day 70. I have about 20 more pounds to lose. It's not going to happen, I MIGHT lose an extra 3 lbs in this past month, but it took me years of damage to my body, it will take at least several months to regulate my body/hormones/etc

I'm in between a size 10 and 12 right now. I'm 5'7 and sort of a broad build so I'm trying to keep my goals realistic. I've been 30 lbs less then this and a size 4/6 but that was in no way sustainable for my body. I'd like to get down to a healthy 6 or 8. A size I can maintain long term and that I feel good and healthy at. I think I really just need to change my psychology about the whole thing, I've had lots of success losing the weight quickly with WW and sometimes even kept it off for a year or two, yet I still always find myself back here. I'm fine losing slowly, if it becomes a maintainable and ingrained life habit. I'm just anxious to see even small results, to keep me motivated! I think I'm going to cut out nuts for these last 6 days and see if that kicks my body into fat burning mode. I'm excited to post my whole30 recap next week and hopefully report some last minute magic happening :)

Kimmy I can sympathize with this. We are similar in size and build, and like you, I have been gotten down to that elusive size 4. At my thinnest I was also my unhealthiest and least self assured and my ADHD was at it's worst. I've had children since then too but it's still always in the back of my mind that someday I'll find a healthy way to be a size 4 again. I'm 5'6" and cruise between an 8 & 10. I feel like a giant. My husband is about my height and build which doesn't help in making me feel small and dainty. When I started my w30 at the end of January, I thought "size 4 here I come". Well, I haven't eaten off compliancy once on purpose and I'm still very much the same size but like kind of smaller. It's very subtle but my body has improved. I've adopted the IBS protocol (removing nuts and coffee, as well as some vegetables) and now I am shrinking more. Will I ever be a size 4 or even a 6 again? At this point I don't care because I feel just right on the inside. I encourage you to take a little more time nut free and see how it goes. And thanks for posting this.

Archived