Late Night Hunger

A little background: I am doing this whole 30 because I am overweight and type 2 diabetic. I am also breastfeeding my four month old.

Before the Whole 30 one of my biggest problems was that I would only eat two meals by 10 o'clock and then would be ravenously hungry and eat tons of junk. For the first two weeks it seemed like eating three meals a day ,with the occasional fourth mini-meal to account for overnight bf, was working to curb my hunger. Now day 15 and the problem has reared it's ugly head again. I had three normal sized balnced meals and now am ravenously hungry. I have had a balnced mini meal but am still hungry. Any help pinpointing why this is?

I also want to lose weight and I have type 2 diabetes (with diabetes being big motivation for wanting to lose weight). Today was day 22. Over the weekend, I was seriously hungry. It happened a little today, too.

I think part of it was the foods I had - I think spaghetti made from squash has too many veggies and not enough protein or fat.

Part may have been my cycle, but I had a hysterectomy and am not entirely positive about my cycle.

And, then there is the possibility that I was experiencing an extinction burst. I had cravings like I hadn't had previously and simply wanted to keep eating. I think my body may have been throwing the final tantrum before giving in to these changes that I have embraced.

Those are the three possibilities that I came to. I will follow the meal template more closely and make sure I am getting enough of everything. And, if I am really hungry enough to eat that steamed fish (or if my sugar is low) I will simply eat until I get things dialed in.

You're breastfeeding, so you'll need to eat more than you think. Someone more knowledgeable on this than I am will be chiming in shortly. But generally, if you're hungry you need to eat more; and if you're hungry and nursing, definitely more. Specifics coming from a currently-nursing Whole30er or a moderator, I'm sure. Happy eating!

Definitely you need to eat a lot when you're breastfeeding. For me, breastfeeding was the best diet ever, I just couldn't keep up! So listen to your body and if you are genuinely ravenously hungry, then eat. Not junk like before ;) Proper nourishing food.

Maybe instead of 3 normal sized meals, you should up it to slightly larger than normal size - you're are eating for 1.3 after all!

I concur with the above posters but wanted to add that as I am reading the book now for the second time- a little more is sinking in. I just reread the chapter on hormones last night and I believe it was "leptin resistance" that was implicated in late night hunger. Since you have t2d it may just take a bit longer for your hormones to level out- and the demands of postpartum and nursing on your body are tremendous. Rest as much as possible, take on less obligations. You ARE healing so dont give up.

Archived