lunch meats?

Lora Friedenthal

there are a few but they are hard to find. My whole foods has a brand of turkey that is simply just turkey and water...not even salt. It's actually not very palatable to me but I spread sweet potato baby food on it and roll it up for a post workout snack.

Costco carries a brand (can't think of name darn it) of sliced roast beef that used to have just beef, salt and pepper. They've added "natural flavors" to the label though. Don't know what that might include.

I just bought some Applegate Farms Smoked Turkey lunch meat from Whole Foods because this brand was recommended. I just noticed that it has carageenen in the ingredients. I just read in ISWF that carageenen is a no no on the Whole 30. I thought I was doing so good...

Thanks for the quick reply, Robin. My local Whole Foods has a deli section where they slice the meat. I will check. The pre packaged meat I bought was Organic so I didn't think there would be a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never had prosciutto. I will see if my local organic deli has some.

omg i found awesome uncured sugar free prosciutto at whole foods the other day and ate all $7 worth in the car on the way home. :P

• 3 weeks later...

omg i found awesome uncured sugar free prosciutto at whole foods the other day and ate all $7 worth in the car on the way home. :P

LOL. So much for a relaxed meal at the table savoring your food...

TJs also has compliant prosciutto. Probably lower price than WF.

I'm obsessed with Plainville Farms Hickory Smoked Turkey at Whole Foods. It's only ingredients are: Turkey, Water, Salt, and Natural Smoke Flavor. It tastes so good and doesn't even compare to other brands of lunch meat!

Prepackaged or sliced at the deli counter?

I live near some awesome local farms - so that is generally who I turn to for meats (Or I order! Love U.S. Wellness Meats and FossilFarms!)

As for easy to locate (Wholefoods and such) free-range deli meats... I've used Heidi's hens sliced turkey breast and it was amazing! It has the most amazing flavor and texture - and it's just straight up turkey, nothing else!

Here's a link to their site and a picture I took of the meat itself:

I live in Seoul, South Korea where my husband is stationed with the Army. Since I don't read Hangul :) , I'm limited to shopping at our commissary. I asked the deli counter about ingredients and was literally handed the entire log of salami so I could check the package. I was only looking for added sugars or carageenan, and it didn't have any. Same for their oven roasted turkey breast. What other ingredients should I avoid?

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Aus and at my supermarket I can get ham that is only Ham, Salt and Spices. I know salt isn't great, but it is nitrate free and so is the bacon they stock. Would it be acceptable to eat the ham even with salt added?

I'm in Sydney. Which brand of ham?

I don't know if anyone else listed this, but I noticed that the Target Brand lunch meat didn't have any additives in them. I think it was the Market Pantry Target Brand.

Also, they have a really yummy chicken sausage that didnt have anything non-approved in it. They don't list the ingredients on the website and I don't have the package with me, but I remember being surprised that they didn't have any additives. Great price, too! It is the Target Brand called Archer Farms.

http://www.target.com/p/archer-farms-all-natural-spinach-garlic-chicken-sausage-12-oz/-/A-13267410#?lnk=sc_qi_detailbutton

I don't know if anyone else listed this, but I noticed that the Target Brand lunch meat didn't have any additives in them. I think it was the Market Pantry Target Brand.

Also, they have a really yummy chicken sausage that didnt have anything non-approved in it. They don't list the ingredients on the website and I don't have the package with me, but I remember being surprised that they didn't have any additives. Great price, too! It is the Target Brand called Archer Farms.

http://www.target.co...qi_detailbutton

Wow thanks for the info. I'll have to check out Target.

It's crazy how you can find compliant foods in the oddest places. The Publix jarred salsa is "clean" (at least the one I have bought before). Not the most exciting stuff ever, but decent and a compliant option. I love the TJ's marinara in the can with the green label too. Has olive oil and no sugar and under $2 for a big can.

Archived