How much should my toddler be eating?

So I went the puree route with my son, but he has been eating "table food" for a couple months now. He will be 15 months at the end of this month. I know toddlers go through different phases of being picky or not wanting to eat certain things, etc. For example, the last couple weeks my son has been getting in one of his molars, so he has reverted back to wanting things mashed and not really having to chew. Anyways, my real question is how much should they be eating at this age? I guess I feel like I don't really know how to judge portion size for him. I work full-time, so he eats most of his meals at daycare and I want to make sure I am packing enough and he isn't going hungry. Also, I should note he still nurses 3-4 times with me and drinks about 13 ounces of breast milk while he is at daycare. Thanks

Hi Audry!

When he's at home, just feed him until he's done. Offer a good variety and let him go to town without worry about portion sizes or ratios. Use his normal "at home amounts" to gauge how much to send, and then check in with his teachers to see if he's finishing his food, if he seems like he wants more, etc.

I love your image-so true-especially if you are a parent. My girls are 21 and 24 now, but the one piece of advice I got when they were toddlers was to let them eat what they wanted. They won't starve themselves. I offered healthy choices every day and some days they ate HUGE quantities of food and some days they nibbled. Neither one was ever an unhealthy weight. And they both ate pretty healthy compared to other toddlers we knew-everyone always complimented me on the fact that they ate vegetables!

So, my advice is not to fret. He will eat when he's hungry-just make sure to provide those healthy choices. Enjoy this time! :)

He usually eats everything at daycare, but at home he seems to be more picky. He was also diagnosed as having low iron/anemic at his last Dr. appointment and I had to put him on an iron supplement (which I did not want to do), so I guess I'm just worried he isn't getting enough of the right foods. I'm just very frustrated right now and out of ideas of what to feed him.

Archived