When should I drink water, before or after a meal?

I'm on Day 5 of the program, and for some reason my water intake has gone down. I am making iced herbal teas, but I know water is best.

I have heard many different things about when to drink water, first thing in the morning and before bed, but I'm confused to whether I should be drinking before a meal or after it. Drinking before would fill me up and I wouldn't be able to eat my full meal. After a meal, I am often too full. I am having a hard time eating so much food, and have already cut the portion down.

So any help woud be appreciated.

I just drink water throughout the day. I have a 24 oz camelbak bottle that I fill up when I get to work in the morning and I sip on it periodically. Sometimes I'll have 2 during work, depending on how thirsty I am, and then a third at home. If I work out, that's another 24 oz.

In a week or so, I'd imagine this will be less of a concern for you. On day 5, I too felt as though I could only fit enough food to get me to my next meal and nothing else. And, cravings, hunger, and thirst can be confusing at first. I'd probably use the space in between meals to drink. I was used to eating more often, but water and other compliant drinks could help me see if I was hungry, craving, or thirsty. I was sipping on ginger tea so frequently that hydration was easy!

There are plenty of waking hours when we're not eating that can help us drink. Oh, and our foods, especially the veggies, bring water with them. Soon, you may also feel less full. I know I do.

Drink water whenever you are thirsty! I drink it pretty much all throughout the day, mostly between meals. Usually at least a little both before and after my meals. Yesterday I ran out of water while I was out and was then very thirsty when I got home. I drank 36 oz right before dinner, and in that case I definitely understand the issue with getting full before the meal. But it's a different type of full, and if I wait a few minutes it usually subsides enough that I'm hungry again.

One little thing to consider, if you have IBS issues or digestion issues in general drink a LOT of water all day but NOT while you are eating a meal. It can disrupt digestion and I know it causes issues for me. So drink up before and after, just not during!

I read somewhere that most Americans don't know when they are thirsty. Many people confuse the body's thirst signal for hunger. Or they claim to never be thirsty. That's the reasoning behind programs like Weight Watchers insisting on 64 oz of water a day. Since most people are chronically dehydrated, they don't feel thirsty on their own. Dehydration feels normal, and the body tries not to ask for what it can't get. By forcing them to ingest more water, within days the body stops holding on so tightly to the little it gets, begins to trust that water will always be there when needed, and natural thirst signals return.

I read somewhere that most Americans don't know when they are thirsty. Many people confuse the body's thirst signal for hunger. Or they claim to never be thirsty. That's the reasoning behind programs like Weight Watchers insisting on 64 oz of water a day. Since most people are chronically dehydrated, they don't feel thirsty on their own. Dehydration feels normal, and the body tries not to ask for what it can't get. By forcing them to ingest more water, within days the body stops holding on so tightly to the little it gets, begins to trust that water will always be there when needed, and natural thirst signals return.

Wow, 64 oz sounds like nothing! I aim for 90 a day and usually drink well over 100. I definitely don't have a problem reading my thirst signals. :P

Archived