My first NON-calorie counting food log!

Tveen

Hello all! So coming from a background of chronic calorie counting, I am excited to do this whole 30 and gain the benefits of freedom from obsessing about calories! I am 24 years old and have counted calories since 14. I am a nutritionist studying to be a registered dietitian and want to help people heal their relationship with food. While at the same time, trying to heal mine! (Which is why I loved "It Starts With Food" most!"

I am struggling to NOT automatically count calories as I am cooking my whole 30 meals, so I recieved the wonderful idea on another post that i should use this food log to help. I' m hoping this post will help keep me accountable, not count calories, and have a new way of journaling about my meals!

I am on day 2 (started 3/11/13) here goes!

Meal 1(pre workout): hard boiled egg and some nuts

Meal 2 (post workout): omelet with veggies and avocado and sweet potato hash

Meal 3: spaghetti squash with tomato sauce that I infused with eggplant and bell peppers ;) sausage,and some fruit and nuts

Meal 4: planning on curry chicken with broccoli and some roasted eggplant that I have leftover from lunch!

Thanks! Had to change it up a bit, my roommate was baking cinnamon rolls (ohhhh the smell!) so I couldn't use the oven to roast my leftover eggplant! But thank goodness for leftover cauliflower rice :) day 2=success! Praise The Lord! :)

I LOVE smelling other people's non-compliant food. I won't even want to touch it, but I love to sniff things. I'll put my face in the bag of coffee and breathe for a while- or a while back my husband ate some milk chocolate and I just lingered around in front of his face and smelled his breath for a long time lol.

Hello from a fellow calorie counter! I enjoyed reading your post. I also began my second Whole30 on the 11th, so I look forward to hearing of your progress.

As for me, I am still tracking my calories but am less interested in the actual number of calories and more interested in how my macros look at the end of the day. I can't lie, though: I do worry when I see that I only ate about 1100 calories yesterday, but I know that the food I ate was nutritious and filling, and at no point did I feel like I was starving myself. I'm sure it will all even out as I tend to eat more on the weekends.

I wish you great success!

Haha yea I just stared and sniffed and smelled and took in all the yummy cinnamon-ness of the apartment! But definitely glad I didn't give in! Especially since I am allergic to gluten, so giving in would have had more consequences than just falling off the wagon!

Cassie, thank you! Good luck with your plan as well! I'm glad you are able to know that the food is nutritious, it is definitely comforting when you see those calorie numbers being too low/too high...I know the feeling. I think what I like most about W30 is not letting the numbers decide if I am hungry or not. Usually, if I was on the lower end for the day, I'd force myself to eat something, even if I was full for the day. Or, if I was on the higher end but still feeling hungry, I wouldn't feed the hunger. It will definitely still take some adjusting on my end to listen to my own body...

Good day so far! Will post my log later! Thank you all for the support!

Hello from a fellow calorie counter! I enjoyed reading your post. I also began my second Whole30 on the 11th, so I look forward to hearing of your progress.

As for me, I am still tracking my calories but am less interested in the actual number of calories and more interested in how my macros look at the end of the day. I can't lie, though: I do worry when I see that I only ate about 1100 calories yesterday, but I know that the food I ate was nutritious and filling, and at no point did I feel like I was starving myself. I'm sure it will all even out as I tend to eat more on the weekends.

I wish you great success!

CASSIE!!! STOP COUNTING! :)

The counting is mostly to keep me honest with my love for snacking on nuts; I was ill-prepared for the possibility that there would be snacking in my first week, so my goal this weekend is to make sure I'm preparing meals that keep me fuller for longer and ditch the calorie counting!

Today was an interesting day! I woke up feeling so sick with a sore throat and cough. I decided to skip my usual 5:30am run and just head to work at 8:30. Once I got off at 11:30, I came home and made a lovely beef stew that seemed to cure me! I was able to run 8 miles after lunch! Praise God! So happy for His strength :) here is my log today!

Meal 1: egg omelet with veggies, olives, avocado, and apple slices

Meal 2 (and without meaning it, preworkout meal): beef stew with a TON of veggies (and olive oil, of course)!

Workout: 8 miles wooooo! did some push ups and planks to finish it off

Meal 3 (postworkout): hard boiled egg with some leftover sweet potato hash

Meal 4: spaghetti squash with tomato sauce mixed with sauteed veggies and chicken sausage

I'm still stuffed from my Meal 3 and waiting to have my dinner...I will hopefully get hungry soon!

Haha I like your argument, Renee! I think my brain would be a lot more free counting palmfuls than those dang numbers that replay over and over in your head!!!

;)

Feeling exhausted at the moment! But it was a good day today!! :)

Meal 1: (pre workout) hard boiled egg and nuts

Ran 6 miles with some strength training and stretching

Meal 2: (post workout) sausage and peppered sautéed in olive oil, oven sweet potatoes

Meal 3: tuna with guacamole on top of salad, nuts, and fruit (SO FULL after this one!)

Meal 4: leftover beef stew

Lunch was so filling I wasn't even sure if I should have dinner! But I knew that I'd get hungry for dinner, which I did! And the beef stew is super light :)

Can't wait for day 5!

I'm an ex calorie counter as well! I'm 27 days in and the freedom of not counting is what I've loved about this program the most! For the first time I feel like I'm more focused on simply nourishing the one body I get to have, rather than being preoccupied with some magic number I need to hit so that I can live up to societal expectations. Good luck!

I have not been able to keep up with this log!! I've been writing in a journal but not been able to post due to finals and an awful cold! But here I am, day 10 and going strong! Plan for today:

Meal 1: omelet with veggies, sausage, avocado, and strawberries

Meal 2: I'm going to make some Morrocan chicken with snap peas and sweet potatoes!! And possibly a cucumber,tomato,avocado salad!

*I hope this meal keeps me full as I have a final at 6pm and won't be able to have dinner until afterwards...

Meal 3: salmon with Brussels sprouts

I am loving the non-calorie counting and just learning to listen to my body for cues! I'm also realizing the first 2 hours after meals is when I am hungriest which is strange but now I realized why! I used to chew gum NONSTOP before starting my whole30. I kid you not, at least a pack a day. I used to chew right after meals so I think this is the sensation I miss! 2 hours after a meal, I still feel like eating, and THEN the full feeling kicks in. Does anyone else experience this? So happy I'm off gum!

I LOVE smelling other people's non-compliant food. I won't even want to touch it, but I love to sniff things. I'll put my face in the bag of coffee and breathe for a while- or a while back my husband ate some milk chocolate and I just lingered around in front of his face and smelled his breath for a long time lol.

Isn't that torture?! I had to leave the room when my husband made homemade pizza.

I'm doing well! Not counting to the best of my abilities! Except when my health-conscious dad asks me how many calories the food I am making HIM is (he has been eating whole30 with me while I'm at home)...I give him a rough estimate (im a nutritionist/almost dietitian, so unfortunately, it comes easy to me), but then I tell him it's not important since it is Good Food! I am loving the freedom of not logging and obsessing. I've been doing it for 10 years so I know 10 days won't cure it...but this program has definitely been a God-send and a step in the right direction! Thanks for the support and encouragement!!

Last day of finals today woooo! I'm feeling better today cold-wise so I'm headed for a little mini workout. Here is the plan for the day:

Preworkout snack (meal 1ish): hard boiled egg and nuts

Workout: Run or walk, we'll see how I feel

Meal 2ish: hard boiled egg, sausage, veggies, and strawberries

Meal 3ish: Chicken with leftover brussels sprouts with Moroccan dressing I made yesterday! So good!

Meal 4: going home! My mom is making this ground beef and eggplant kebab thing so I'm having that with some cauliflower rice! While they all enjoy regular buttery fluffy rice. But that's okay!

Tomorrow, I'm going to disneyland with my boyfriend which I am a little anxious about because they have this AMAZING chocolate caramel covered popcorn that I get every time I go even though I tell myself I won't get it...ugh themepark food. BUT we are packing lunches and have planned out the day and I have already researched whole30 friendly dinner options! So I should be good to go! I'm reminding myself that I am going to enjoy the PARK, not the food :)

Crazy past few days! I went to Disneyland Friday and packed food and survived wooo!

1: beef kebab with veggies and avocado

2: salad with beef kebab and olive oil dressing, veggies, nuts, apple slices

3: salad from rainforest cafe with chicken egg and olive oil

Saturday 3/24

1: hard boiled egg whites, beef kebab, avocado, olives

2: chicken sausage marinara

3: Greek salad (no feta) with cheese, olive oil and balsamic as dressing!

Today! 3/24

So far...

Meal 1: hard boiled eggs and nuts (pre workout) about to go now! Here is to a good rest of my day!!

Isn't that torture?! I had to leave the room when my husband made homemade pizza.

Lots of people tell me this but for me it works! I have a serious gluten/grain/sugar intolerance so I know I will never eat those things again. It's just something I have put out of my mind so I find it easy to enjoy the aromas of baked goods (or coffee). It gives me the happy feelings I might associate with childhood memories or whatever without the misery, anxiety and discomfort that eating them as an adult would bring. I lingered for a long time outside the cookie shop at the mall the other day- but my husband couldn't take it lol he scurried past!

Tveen- great success at Disneyland!! And for not counting calories- you are really rocking your w30!

Thank you so much! It was definitely hard but I had planned and brought food and promised to NOT let myself go hungry! So it worked!

Yesterday was a good day!

PreW: hard boiled egg and nuts

PostW/meal 2: eggs with veggies, homemade beef sausage patties, 1/2 sweet potato, and avocado

Meal 3(this was a last minute, rushed, we have to leave in 5 minutes type of a meal...so I tried my best!): beef patties, veggies, nuts, apple slices,avocado

Meal 4: sharky's chicken power plate, veggies, guacamole, nuts

It was a good day! I felt STUFFED after dinner tho....too much guacamole I think...but hey at least I wasn't hungry right before bed which is usually the case! On to day 15! So far today I have had a hard boiled egg and nuts...getting ready for my workout now!

I'm struggling not getting on the scale and trying to avert my thoughts when those darn calories pop up in my mind...especially last night. I was so full after dinner I started thinking well I wonder how many calories actually DID eat? maybe it was too much? but then I just have to stop my brain! It's hard but I really want to be rid of the counting and obsessing!

Log from yesterday: Day 15: 3/25

PreW: Meal 1: hard boiled egg and nuts

W: ran 6 miles

PostW: Meal 2: chicken sausage with veggies, olives, plum

Meal 3: turkey taco salad w/nuts

Meal 4: carrots and nuts (I was having dinner at a friend's house at 8pm and knew I wouldn't last till then!)

Meal 5: chicken, sweet potatoes, salad, fruit

I felt like I had a little too much fruit last night, but at least it was fruit and not something else! Today is a new day!

Archived