UNsweetened Organic Coconut Milk (by So Delicious)

bookishrunner

This one is completely unsweetened, unlike their "original" variety. It's totally organic and contains no GMO's. I'm golden, right? Here's the nutritional info:

Ingredients: ORGANIC COCONUT MILK (ORGANIC COCONUT CREAM, WATER, GUAR GUM), CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE, CARRAGEENAN, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, VITAMIN D-2, L-SELENOMETHIONINE (SELENIUM), ZINC OXIDE, FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN B-12.

post-2099-0-54992300-1340314530_thumb.pn

I think that the carrageenan is non-compliant. Still not sure how to quote other members, but I found this...from Johnny M.

"Minimally processed foods like canned coconut milk, applesauce, tomato sauce, chicken broth or canned olives are all acceptable on the Whole30 – but avoid anything with carageenan, MSG or sulfites. We've singled these three additives/preservatives out because they all have potentially nasty side effects – and you can easily find processed foods without them."

That stuff is disgusting compared to real coconut milk anyway. Weak and watery, it should be called coconut milk drink. You're not missing out by giving it a pass. Take your money to an Asian market and get the good stuff.

Some real coconut milk is available now in tetrapaks (no BPA). I like the AROY-D brand. No additives, just coconut and water.

Real coconut milk is going to run around 200 calories per 1/2 cup. It's very thick and creamy, thicker than whipping cream. If you want it as a beverage (not what I'd do with it*), you could thin it with your own water out of the tap and save a bundle.

*topping berries, in coffee or chai, in curry sauces, for making salad dressings, processed with frozen fruit to make "ice cream" (not sure that last is Whole30 compliant)

As an aside, if anyone is in the Los Angeles area there's a place called the Beverly Hills Juice Club that makes a Coconut Milk that is just coconut and water. I am not sure the exact process but I believe it's just blended coconut meat that they strain. It is delicious; around the consistency of whole milk and very coconut-y as well. Highly recommended! Going to try making it at home.

• 2 months later...

Jill is correct...carrageenan is non-compliant. Stick to coconut milk in a can.

Does anyone know WHY carrageenan isn't compliant? I've been drinking SO coconut milk all month long and just now realized it has it. Damn it!

After further research I found an explanation in this article: http://www.notmilk.com/carageenan.html

Extremely frustrated. I have a trip planned for Oct 12 - 19th...wondering if I should just start over when I get back.

Archived