Can anyone recommend a good slow cooker?

Megan H

I've decided to bite the bullet and invest in a slow cooker, but there are so many to choose from.

Can anyone recommend a good slow cooker, about 6-6.5L?

I've read a few reviews on Amazon (UK version) and a common complaint is that the "low" setting is too high.

Thanks

• Moderators

I use the Cuisinart Cook Central Multi-Cooker, 7-Quart. I only use it as a slow cooker, but like having the additional options. A similar slow cooker is the Breville BSC560XL Stainless-Steel 7-Quart Slow Cooker with EasySear Insert.

I would not worry about the complaint of the low setting being too high. Food "simmers" too aggressively in my slow cooker, but the end results have been consistently good.

Hi Megan, if you're in the UK, I always think it's worth trying Tesco

http://www.tesco.com/direct/search-results/results.page?catId=4294967294&searchquery=slow+cooker&SrchId=4294967294&_requestid=3842176

I got the £14.96 one (being concerned with much cheapness) and love it but at 3L it's probably too small for you. The Morphy Richards 6.5L gets really good write ups as do some of the others. it's always good to see what others have said.

I just got the Cuisinart Multi-Cooker that Tom mentioned for my birthday last month. I've used it twice since then, once as a slow cooker and once to brown before slow cooking. I LOVE it. It did a stellar job. And a bonus is that the crock is not super heavy and it has real handles...so I don't have to fear dropping it accidentally and cracking it (something I've done on 3 other crocks in the past 5 years!).

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/cuisinart-multicooker/

My previous two slow cookers did a fine job of cooking my food, but they had hot spots that left burnt food in places on the crock. Most of the time, it didn't matter as far as performance, but clean up was a pain.

Thanks everyone. I'm eyeing the Morphy Richards...the others are a bit expensive since I'm only in the country for five more months until I go travelling again and I reckon postage for sending a slow cooker back to Australia wouldn't be worth it :)

I have an inexpensive ($25 - $30 US) Hamilton Beach slow cooker with a removable insert. It's very basic but I've been using it at least twice each week for years and everything cooks great. The best feature is that it has clips that lock the lid in place, which is great if you need to take it to a potluck or office party.

I read an article in Cooks Illustrated a couple of years ago that said when they tested slow cookers, they all cooked food at approximately 225 degrees F. The only difference was how long it took each slow cooker to reach 225 when the low or high setting was used.

All slow cookers have hot spots, usually opposite the switch/temp control. A foil collar will protect the food that rests against the hot spot from burning (fold over some aluminum foil to the inside height of the insert).

I just got this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KKWT04/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and I love it. it's a bit smaller than what you're looking for. The low setting cooks at a higher temperature than in older models - the reason is that all manufacturers changed the temperature (see above Tom's information) due to food safety issues. So you won't find any model anywhere that cooks food at the lower temperature that older models do/did. Anyway, I love my slow cooker and it was crazy cheap, too. I don't notice any hot spots, but I think that's due to the smaller size, the shape, and the fact that I have only used it for foods that have plenty of liquid - stew, chili, chicken stock.

Have fun!

Archived