dinner at PF Changs! Help!

asutton

This is my first Whole 30 and I am on day 3. My friends birthday/engagement party is Friday and we are going to PF Changs for dinner. I browsed the menu but I don't think there is anything compliant. Would I look like a total jerk if I don't order anything, and just drink water while everyone eats?

I don't think it's rude at all to not eat. I have done this many times, even before w30. Since it's a party I would call the hostess/your friend in advance and explain that you are on an elimination diet designed to pinpoint potential allergens and intolerances and that for 30 days you are eating at home. Assure her that you are attending her dinner to celebrate and that not eating will not hinder your enjoyment. If other guests inquire you can always just say "Im on a month long allergy elimination diet- it's easier to eat at home right now". I dare anyone to judge you for "allergies"- it's failproof. And the really important part is to HAVE MORE FUN THAN EVERYONE ELSE. learn a new joke, dress well, maybe be "the photographer", ooh and ah over the sights and smells and don't judge all the batter dipped sugar laden crap everyone else is eating.

But also- the steamed salmon as the other thread recommends COULD work- though it has been my expeiece that chain restaurant food is adulterated in ways that we don't even know, and I often have a reaction to very simple foods.

PF Changs was my first venture out on whole30...be prepared to just as a lot of questions. a problem with their menu is they marinate ALL of their meat in a soy based marinade. everything. most other things have soy sauce or are cooked in non-compliant butter. at least in my area they are EXTREMELY accommodating. my server talked to the manager and the cook. out of all the restaurants I've been to (I'm in the 70's of a whole100) they were probably the best. BUT I did say I have an allergy and have since stopped since it isn't really true...

what I ended up having: they steamed salmon for me (I think this was the only meat they had that was not marinated), steamed veggies. I told them I could have the ginger, salt, & pepper. and olive oil. it was actually delicious, but maybe because it had been SO long since I ate out! I would order it again and this time bring my own mayo-based sauce. make sure they don't give you the "buddha's delight" steamed veggies or ask for it without the tofu. HAVE FUN and do your best!!!

Archived