What do you all do with your full fat coconut milk?

I use it in my chai teas, eat it off a spoon--which is also my son's favorite way too--soups, mashed squash and sweet potatoes, curry, coffee, sometimes though, because I have gotten used to it black (again--used to always drink it straight up until I married hubby and he has to kill his coffee--luckily, i never got into the sugar habit in coffee)

Does anyone have issues with their coconut milk being completely solid on top and water on the bottom? The first few cans I bought weren't like that (just a little separated) but for the past month or so, EVERY can has been solid. It's a little bit of a pain in the ass to have to open the can, whisk or blend it before using.

Anne,

What I do in that case is if I am washing dishes, I will pop the closed can in with the dishes in the sink. Let it sit in there for a few minutes (5 or so) to have everything warm up. Then I take the can out shake it and then open it. It is usually then mixed together. (Sometimes there is the odd lump)

I get coconut cream, and it goes straight in my coffee - I'm sad because the recent cans I bought weren't thick enough! And I've got 3 cans of the blimming stuff to work through - I'm wondering if it's because this brand has guar gum in it (or whatever it is). It's also not as tasty as the other brand I had.

I can only get full fat coconut milk that doesn't have a lot of other unwanted additions at Whole Foods. The local grocery versions are chock full of garbage! Read your labels, read your labels, read your labels. My 2 egg omelette goes further around a ton of veggies when I add coconut cream in place of milk to the eggs. I also put coconut cream on ripe fruit with some coconut flakes for a dessert.

I can only get full fat coconut milk that doesn't have a lot of other unwanted additions at Whole Foods. The local grocery versions are chock full of garbage! Read your labels, read your labels, read your labels. My 2 egg omelette goes further around a ton of veggies when I add coconut cream in place of milk to the eggs. I also put coconut cream on ripe fruit with some coconut flakes for a dessert.

Err, note here that dessert of any kind (even with Whole30 compliant ingredients) is not approved for eating during a Whole30 - after a Whole30 it is up to each person what they do, of course.

I make easy chicken curry - a can of coconut milk, chicken thighs, curry powder. I don't measure any of it, just plop it into the skillet and cook. Probably use about 2 tablespoons' worth of curry powder (available on the spice aisle) for a can of coconut milk and five or six chicken thighs. When it's done I serve over wilted greens or spaghetti squash or kabocha squash (I use kabocha squash in place of pumpkin since kabocha is smaller and easier for me to lug home).

Does anyone have issues with their coconut milk being completely solid on top and water on the bottom? The first few cans I bought weren't like that (just a little separated) but for the past month or so, EVERY can has been solid. It's a little bit of a pain in the ass to have to open the can, whisk or blend it before using.

Just make sure you give the can of coconut cream really good shake before you open it, a bit of dancing around your kitchen with it doesn't hurt either ;) Or.... (post whole30 of course) you can whip the solid bit on top into whipped cream. Yum. Post whole30. Post.

I make easy chicken curry - a can of coconut milk, chicken thighs, curry powder. I don't measure any of it, just plop it into the skillet and cook. Probably use about 2 tablespoons' worth of curry powder (available on the spice aisle) for a can of coconut milk and five or six chicken thighs. When it's done I serve over wilted greens or spaghetti squash or kabocha squash (I use kabocha squash in place of pumpkin since kabocha is smaller and easier for me to lug home).

Do you think this would work in a crock pot? Not sure why, but I have an attachment to my thighs and my crockpot. They have gotten along so well in the past few weeks without any intervention. And, the crock fits better in my sink for clean-up. Maybe I do know why.

Do you think this would work in a crock pot? Not sure why, but I have an attachment to my thighs and my crockpot. They have gotten along so well in the past few weeks without any intervention. And, the crock fits better in my sink for clean-up. Maybe I do know why.

Nico, I am crazy about my crockpot (in fact my second one is being delivered today). I do curries with chicken thighs in it. It works great. I use a curry paste so I don't know if you need to adjust the seasoning if you use powder.

Yeah it would be great in a crock pot. I just happened to do it in my cast iron skillet one time, and it worked. I know a lot of people use curry paste, but I tend to use curry powder, minced garlic, cumin, and salt - and I don't measure, I just make sure the color looks pretty intense. Hehe

Thanks! I have my own curry blend that I add extra turmeric, cayenne, garlic, and ginger to. Day 32 and ginger is still one of my best friends.

Now, to pick the veggies that will complete the meal. :-)

I wonder if there is a kabocha squash in our little town...

Maybe canned pumpkin in the pot and something on the greener side somewhere in there, too.

I use this thai curry recipe: http://everydaypaleo.com/red-or-green-thai-curry/

I also make an awesome butternut squash soup (5 cups butternut squash, 1 cup apple, 3 cups chicken broth, cook until soft, blend, return to pot and add 1 can full fat coconut milk, curry (I think, I'm going from memory), and cinnamon and pinch of nutmeg)...YUMMY

btw I though green curry was the hottest?! I thought yellow was mildest...confused

• 2 weeks later...

Archived