Sunflower butter and almond butter

JennaN

I am a huge sweet tooth but so far I am doing great. I'm on day 6 but because of my job I am not always able to have three perfect whole 30 meals. Most days I have gotten the three meals in but the past two days I have had sunflower butter on carrots and have not exactly measured it and unknowingly it has become a meal replacement. I feel like it is because of my sweet tooth that I want the butter in general. Should I just eliminate it fully? Thank you!

If the butters are feeding you sugar dragon, I would eliminate them while on the whole 30. I ended up having to do that with whole nuts--just went crazy with them, although for some reason, the butters don't hold the same thrill for me.

I am a huge sweet tooth but so far I am doing great. I'm on day 6 but because of my job I am not always able to have three perfect whole 30 meals. Most days I have gotten the three meals in but the past two days I have had sunflower butter on carrots and have not exactly measured it and unknowingly it has become a meal replacement. I feel like it is because of my sweet tooth that I want the butter in general. Should I just eliminate it fully? Thank you!

Jenna - as long as you're eating full meals whenever you're able, you're sticking to a reasonable serving (a couple of tbsp) of the butter, and you're not going back for 2 or 3 reasonable servings, I'd say you're fine. If it gets out of control...nix it.

I tried switching to coconut butter or manna.... No nasty omega-6 to worry about, and the MCT of coconut really do help me power on through the day as my job is very physical....

365 brand crunchy almond butter is the bomb and that's the only food that I need to really limit because it gives me that.... " come and eat me....you love me...no one will love you and nourish you like I do.... You can't live without me" feeling

Mother f$&kin son of a bi$ch 12 oz jar I hate your guts!!!!! I can move 2-3 times my body weight in all directions for multiple reps, sprint like a wide receiver , and brought to my knees by that loathsome jar......

You Won't beat me jar!!!

Your not the boss of me jar!!!

Ok.... I'm going into therapy.....lol

On the topic of almond butter, I'm having a hard time finding W30 compliant ones...everything I find is ok ingredient wise, but then it says the damning words, "May include traces of peanuts, soy...etc." BOOOOOO soy demoned almond butter! Anyone have a good brand to recommend?

Not to worry.... If its not listed in the ingredients... You are ok... If it merely states " make contain......" That's just legalize because they also process soy' peanut.... Whatever in their plant. It's for people with severe allergies.

there is very little chance that it is in the almond butter

• 2 weeks later...

That's just a form of sugar, so you should try to avoid it. I got sun butter at Whole Foods with no sugars added...can't remember the brand name but it was a prominent one that I would think is widely available.

You can also make your own sunbutter at home, pretty easily. All you need is raw(or roasted will work, as long as they are compliant) unsalted sunflower seeds. If they are raw, toast them in the oven for a few minutes. Then place them in a food processor or blender(I used a magic bullet) with a bit of salt(to taste) and blend them until the seeds begin to release their oils. Then you can add a bit of additional oil(i add cocnut oil) to make it a bit more creamy. It is also WAY more affordable this way. I think my bag of sunflower seeds was $2.00 at Trader Joes, and it would make more than 1 jars worth.

Whole Foods sells Maranatha Sunflower Seed butter which is really very good - the only ingredients are roasted sunflower seeds and a little sea salt. The only problem with it is in not overeating - it's that good, but Whole 30 suggests sunflower seeds should be limited.

Archived