Lara bar and their equivalent UK version (Nakd bars)

Ancestral Foodie

Technically some Larabars are allowed. Check the ingredients. However, I avoid them. For me they are SWYPO-reminds me of overdoing it on granola bars. They may be handy for hiking or something but on a regular day I would opt for food in its natural form.

The main ingredients of Nakd Bars are dates. Some have different nuts, raisins, berries and natural flavours. Some have over half their weight in naturally occuring sugars. Basically they're sugar bombs. They're not exactly going to add anything to our health. All they're going to do is feed a sugar craving and replace good healthy wholesome food. Personally I avoid them.

This is my second Whole30. During my first I kept Larabars (the Cashew Cookie one which is just dates and cashews as the ingredients) in my bag for emergencies at work or when I ended up not going home in time for a meal. I like them but they don't represent a food with no brakes for me (I am more a potato chip/cracker binger). Eventually I switched to keeping Trader Joes unsalted mixed nuts in my bag for these emergencies. I still have some Larabars around but the nuts seem to be more satisfying to me.

Ok, thanks guys. I haven't had any yet, but I was wondering if it would be okay to have say one a week with a nice cup of green tea (& maybe a boiled egg to mediate the blood sugar increase).

I have so many stocked up in my cupboards, that I thought I should start eating my way through them before they expire.

Plus all of mine are paelo friendly (no peanuts, oats or vege oil)....

Carlah, having them as a "snack" with a cup of tea might not be the best way to enjoy them. It sort of uses them as a biscuit replacement, even with adding a boiled egg. For the advice I've picked up on similar products or snack-type foods, if you really want one, incorporate it into a main meal, so have one with lunch or with dinner. And I mean with as in during, not as a sweet thing afterwards. I think the best advice in this thread is that they are ok in an emergency or in an activity like hiking when it can be difficult to find foods that are convenient to take.

I have a few stashed in the cupboard too but saving them for big hikes.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Nakd bars and Larabars are not good enough for Whole30 consumption. They were allowed as "emergency" food once upon a time, but they are simply not real, whole foods. They are processed packages of fruit and nuts that are pretty much sugar bombs. They may be sex with your pants on/SWYPO for many people. If you need emergency food, keep a ziploc bag of nuts or raisins in your car or purse.

My husband has been wondering about this for cycling - he is training for a cycling event in France so is sometimes out for hours at a time without stopping. It's too hard (and too dangerous) when on roads to watch where he's going and try to coordinate getting cashews or dried fruit out of a bag - he really needs something easy to grab and eat without taking his eyes off the road. My thought was Lara/Nakd bars, but as he's cycling regularly I guess this isn't great - any other ideas please?

Archived