not losing weight

Tams

I am on Day 21 of my first Whole30. I have PCOS and am very overweight (250) for my height/age (5'4"/33). I have been fairly strict on the Whole30, cooking the majority of food myself. There may have been a few slips when eating fish at a restaurant and not knowing the oil in which it was cooked. Other than that, I have been enjoying the food and have definitely slayed the sugar dragon. I feel better, sleep better, have more energy, and am in a better mood.

However, I don't feel like I have lost any weight thus far. I have not weighed myself but my clothes feel the same, etc. I do eat the Whole30 recommended amounts of nuts and fruit.

Any suggestions to increase the weight loss?

If you read anything I have ever posted, you will quickly see that I have a vendetta against nuts. I think they are terribly aggravating to the digestive tract (along with coffee, raw vegetables) and that as long as your digestive system is enflamed and irritated, your hormones will not be able to fully reset and thus, weight's not going to come off. With PCOS, your healing time will be longer than other's- from what I gather reading the forums. I would encourage you to keep going well beyond the 30 days before you begin reintroductions, and actually do the opposite- start trying to pinpoint other foods that may be a problem for you. For myself, if I have a serving or two of compliant yet irritating-to-me foods, I will swell up from the top of my ribcage to mid-thigh area and my clothes will feel tight again. It takes about 5 days of totally irritant free eating for me to shrink down again. I could go back and forth like that every week. It doesn't even represent any fat loss- it's all inflammation/bloat.

First of all, Tams, we're glad you're here!

Having a medical condition like PCOS brings many more factors into play here. My advice to you is to realize that it may take you more time to see results, physically, emotionally, than it would some others. BUT, that change will come if you're patient and kind to yourself :)

If you read anything I have ever posted, you will quickly see that I have a vendetta against nuts.

Any suggestions to increase the weight loss?

I'm starting to agree with you, Moluv! After cutting out nuts for just 3 days I feel SO much better. I had been feeling the same way, about not feeling the "slimming" shift in my body that I had been hoping for, even though I was experiencing so many other amazing improvements in my mind and body. Nuts were sort of a indulgent crutch for the first 3/4 of my whole30. I wish I had cut them out from the beginning! Tams, I definitely think it's worth giving it a shot to see how life without them makes you feel. I'm on day 28 and am going to keep going beyond 30 because I want to give my body all the time it needs to adjust to this new way of life, and to not rush it. Stick with it and good luck to you!

• 6 months later...

I also have PCOS. When my son was 3 (now 11) I put myself on a whole foods diet with lots of organic veggies and only grass-fed organic meats. I lost all of the extra weight and was the healthiest I had ever been. Unfortunately, after going through a nasty divorce 3 years ago that left me with financial struggles, I had to put my lifestyle aside just to afford to feed my kids. I gained a bunch of weight during the divorce and have never stopped gaining. Now, 60lbs overweight and in a slightly better financial situation, I am on my 2nd Whole30 and the weight is still not budging. I haven't weighed, but my clothes are the same. I don't eat nuts, so I know that's not my issue. I stick with EVOO, coconut oil and ghee for my fats. I prefer veggies to fruit, so I don't think I'm eating too much fruit. I have read and re-read the do's and don'ts and the "Can I have" forum just to make sure I'm not missing anything or eating something I shouldn't. I used to drink nothing but unsweet iced tea and never drank water, but with this Whole30 I am only drinking water and have allowed myself only one small (4-6oz glass of unsweet iced tea per day). I have one week left with this Whole30. I intend to stick with it, but it's very frustrating.

Archived