Jicama Oatmeal? All good or paleoifying? cuz it was awesome!

Kim's Lil'Sister

Here's my opinion but it may be shot down by someone else because SWYPO is a definite grey area. To me, it doesn't fit the meal template and it would psychologically take me back to when I had oatmeal every day.

Because of the flax and walnuts, it's also high in Omega 6. So when I ask myself the question does this make me more healthy or less healthy (mentally and physically) the answer would be less healthy.

A lot of my answer is personal but some of my answer is directly from the program and book. I tend to be fairly inflexible when it comes to the rules and even the moderators sometimes have different rules and opinions about recipes. :)

The creator of the dish compared it to making zuc noodles or cauli rice but I disagree. This is a concoction meant to replicate something non compliant. Zuc noodles are nothing like real pasta. They are simply zucchini cut into a shape. Cauli rice is simply cauliflower put through a food proccesor.

I'm looking forward to seeing what others say. :)

• Moderators

I think it is too much work for what you get, but I guess it would be okay unless you have a serious love affair with oatmeal. I used to eat oatmeal regularly, but gave it up without a second thought when I did my first Whole30. If you're like me, this would be okay. If you are like Susan (see above), you might better skip this one.

I have some suggestions about making this a better fit for a Whole30. Two eggs is not enough protein at breakfast. Make it with 3 eggs, use one cup of coconut milk and no water, skip the flax seeds and use ground macadamias, hazelnuts, or cashews instead.

yes, Susan, sadly i do think i guess i hestitantly agree. ugh. I guess that's why I felt like maybe I was "cheating." In all honesty, I had no hope that it would be as yummy as it was, I was seriously pleasantly surprised.

for the record, I didn't add any nuts at all. It was just the jicama, (i did make it with extra of) the coconut milk (and not add the water), the cinnamon, homemade applesauce (made with apples and only apples) and the egg.

I'm not in any sort of love affair with oatmeal lol, in fact, I only ate it maybe twice a year before anyways, so it wasn't that that made we want to try it. My gf had mentioned using jicama so i saw this recipe and thought, since it was on a page advocating W30, I'd try it...

I'm on day 10 (and i'm not going to consider this a cheat and start a do-over, as correct me if I'm wrong-but, it's "compliant" but flirts with SWYPO and paleoifying treats, yes?) and I've realized already that while I cut out sugar years ago, I was certainly a sweet-junky. I know that is the habit that needs to be addressed and kicked, first and foremost through this experience.

:)

No Tom even said it was compliant with a couple of tweaks. Absolutely don't start over. You are not a cheater cheater pumpkin eater. :)

About different recipe sites. You do have to be a little careful about that. You can absolutely be taken down the wrong path. Tom's site is 100% all W30. Well Fed is W30 with the exception of one recipe that is too desserty.

Little Jack Horner

Sat in the corner,

Eating a Christmas pie;

He put in his thumb,

And pulled out a plum,

And said 'What a good boy am I!

I will refrain from doing Andrew Dice Clay.... As most of you are lady's, and those who are not.... You know who you are.... LOL ( and yes I'm a typical male MAN-boy who loves doody jokes)

Little Jack Horner

Sat in the corner,

Eating a Christmas pie;

He put in his thumb,

And pulled out a plum,

And said 'What a good boy am I!

I will refrain from doing Andrew Dice Clay.... As most of you are lady's, and those who are not.... You know who you are.... LOL ( and yes I'm a typical male MAN-boy who loves doody jokes)

Wait..I thought Jack Horner ate curds and whey. Who was that? Ms Muffet?

Kim's LilSister- you said you loved it, but was it worth all the trouble? Like Tom said the recipe seems like a lot of work. I could see making this for my kids and then they don't even like it and here I've dirtied up the blender and dragged out the slow cooker. And then they'd just start remembering the days of "real oatmeal". And I'm not sure I'm ready for the SWYPO talk with my kids. I've almost talked myself out of making it for them unless you say it was really really good and worth the trouble.

It was worth the effort Moluv. But I didn't have to drag out the blender, I just grate it on the cheese grater. (Which I may or may not have rested my tongue on hoping for a remnant of flavour lol. )

It's really no trouble. Grate it throw it in the pot with the coconut milk and walk away. In the am mix in a couple eggs, applesauce cinnamon nutmeg and ur done. ( I put mine in microwave a few seconds as my egg didn't seem to get cooked enough to my liking.

wait! Juzbo, you scramble bluberries in with zucchini and eggs? Why?

(i've been eating grated sweet potatoe, onion, grated zucchini mixed with eggs a lot lately! ... it's getting old. lol) but... blueberries??? I'm intrigued, and I'm not gonna lie...a little grossed out too, but... if it's good... ????

I'm making this for my kids for tomorrow but will not utter the words "oatmeal" or "fauxtmeal" instead I'm calling it Creamed Jicama. I definitely want them to make the association to a vegetable and decide if they like it or not. I'm going to serve it with a piece of fried ham to up their protein too.

Archived