Jicama Oatmeal? All good or paleoifying? cuz it was awesome!

Kim's Lil'Sister

Melissa posted something about a blueberry omelette a LONG time ago. (I think 2 websites ago). She asked for an omelette with a side of blueberries, got a confused look from the waiter, and he brought back an omelette with the blueberries mixed in. She ate it anyway and LOVED it.

It's basically a crepe, right? I'm still scared of fruit + eggs, and not convinced that adding zucchini makes it any better, but it's definitely not insane!

I made this last night and ate it this morning with blueberry sausage on the side. It was a nice change of pace, but honestly, it didn't remind me much of oatmeal except that it was hot and in a bowl. I'm calling it apple cinnamon hot mash instead. i had to transfer it to a pan on the stove for it to be hot enough to cook the egg mixture, but it worked eventually.

It was lovely to come in from a cold, rainy walk with the dogs and have this waiting for my breakfast.

Re my blueberries and eggs... Nah nothing like a crepe. I use a whole sweet potato and a whole zucchini grated then sautéed so that's a big volume. Then 6 eggs... That's not quite enough to even make scrambled eggs, it ends up like a hash. Then only a handful or two of blueberries. The dish makes two or three serves. So the berries are more to add a bit of tartness and some moisture. After this success? I tried a variation replacing the eggs with ground meat and the blueberries with raspberries... Also good.... Not that different to adding currants to curries I expect.

This variation works for me because I can't use onion or garlic for flavour and am limited in my range of other veggies as well I suspect.

Kim, try it and let me know your verdict??

I made this for my kids- though I used cashews instead of flax- which is probably why it wasn't as creamy- my kids hated it. Jicama still kinda tastes like dirt and they like it better raw. Our dog and chicken scarfed it up though! Also- it was a lot more trouble than I am used to.

My advice- use ground flax and follow the recipe exactly opting for the longer end of the range for pre cooking the jicama.

My advice- use ground flax and follow the recipe exactly opting for the longer end of the range for pre cooking the jicama.

I used half flax, half finely chopped walnuts for more crunch/lumps and the taste was good.

Cooking time must really vary by crock pot because mine was so well done, it was totally burnt to the sides of the crock! I added the walnuts for texture because it was total mush for me (11 hours on high). It was also a huge pain to clean so I definitely won't be making this again. Way too much work!

Way way way too much work and too many dishes! My kids would rather eat a fried egg and sliced raw jicama and some nuts and fruit or whatever. But my kids don't like mixed ingredient dishes- someday I will learn to just keep it simple.

I also dot think ill ever try the jicama home fries recipe from well fed now for the same reason.

Archived