Sign in to follow this  
maryteam2

What are Other Good Carbs Besides Sweet Potatoes?

Hi,

I have Hashimoto's, and I am looking for some carbs that I could eat besides sweet potatoes. Why?

Yesterday, I got my lab results back after doing a Whole 30. While my TSH dropped about 33%, my antibodies went up a little. I am not sure if that is because I am eating goiterous food like sweet potatoes, if it was from the sugar in my breakfast meats and shrimp, or if it because I ate some nuts (something to avoid if you are on the autoimmune protocol).

So, I figure if I can eliminate the goiterous foods, at least for now, that may help. But I am not sure.

At the same time, I do workout to P90X, so I need something heavier to eat than veggies like carrots, celery, mushrooms, and onions.

Any recommendations?

Mary

Any kind of "plant storage" will be higher energy/calorie - so all the root vegetables (e.g. carrots, parsnips, celeriac, turnip, beetroot, kohl rabi etc). Squashes. Fruits.

I buy organic canned butternut squash and eat about half a can at meal 1 with browned grassfed ground beef and sometimes again at meal 2. I love it just heated up in the leftover meat drippings with Celtic sea salt. I am also on AIP and can't just eat non-starchy veg. Probably once or twice a week I roast whole spaghetti or acorn squash as well.

Cool. I think I have a good list. Still eating sweet potatoes. I really love them. So, we will see what happens with my thyroid in 2 months. However, I am adding squash.

I'm running a marathon in two weeks after having been dedicated to the Whole 30.  Any recipes that will give me the amount of carbs called for without resorting to pasta and bagels would be enormously appreciated!!!!