Help! I need ideas on meal planning!!

Amanda Tate

I have no clue what to make for meals. I have purchased organic chicken legs and will be serving them with green beans for dinner to night but do not know how to season the legs? I am a fryer(and I can't do that) and a BBQ sauce person(but it has sugar)....newbie here....where do you come up with meal ideas? I have to satisfy a 6yr and 4yr old too....

I highly recommend getting a copy of Well Fed. It's amazing and has a ton of easy recipes that can be modified in a million ways. You can also check out her website clothesmakethegirl.com Most, if not all the recipes in Well Fed are on her website. I still recommend the book though-it's formatted nicely and is easy to follow.

ISWF has good recipes too-I'm making the salmon cakes tonight in fact. Talk about easy! The recipe forum here has lots of good ideas too! And NomNom Paleo is a good site-

Hope that helps!

I agree that you can use books, blogs, and this forum. It Starts with Food has ideas, too. And, there is a whole section on kids here that may be of help. This is a great source from one of the moderators here: http://www.wholelifeeating.com/author/tom-denham/

Just follow the meal template for amounts of food and you will be fine. I understimated the amount of food I would need at each meal, but there is no reason to be hungry!

For tonight, I would season the legs using the same seasonings you might use to fry them. Things like salt, pepper, garlic, and paprika will work fine if you just put them right on the meat.

You can brown the chicken in a pan (in coconut oil, ghee, or olive oil) and finish them in the oven.

You will probably need more than one vegetable. Something like sweet potato or squash will be nice for you right now, if you have any on hand or can get some. You can even make sweet potato fries using a compliant oil. Carrot would also be nice.

Welcome and good luck! I kept running out of food in the first days and now I need more days for all of the ideas!

Welcome! My favorite way to cook chicken parts in a recipe that my mom always used. Slice up an onion or 2, depending on size, and lay half in a 9x10 baking dish. Lay the chicken over the onion. Top off with the rest of the onion, dot with ghee or coconut oil, season with salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder. Bake about an hour or until till cooked thru. This was my mom's favorite way to bake chicken when I was a child.

I have no clue what to make for meals. I have purchased organic chicken legs and will be serving them with green beans for dinner to night but do not know how to season the legs? I am a fryer(and I can't do that) and a BBQ sauce person(but it has sugar)....newbie here....where do you come up with meal ideas? I have to satisfy a 6yr and 4yr old too....

Brining is my new favourite thing for chicken. You need to start a little in advance though and leave the chicken in the brine for an hour or so.

I have also marinated/coated chicken breast in ginger, lemon zest, salt and pepper (with a little olive oil to make it in to a paste), and then pan-fried. For legs I'd probably finish them in the oven.

You could also always make your own 'chicken boccoccini' (which is a marinade which seems to be popular here in Australia). It's (olive) oil, garlic, paprika and dried/fresh parsley or chives.

I find it useful to buy a giant chicken at the farmer's market----like a 6 pounder. On the day I cook it, I just season it very well with sea salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder. I stick a half lemon in the cavity and just put the thing in my slow cooker and cook it for 8 hours on low. That gives us roasted chicken for one night, and lots of leftover cooked chicken meat for the next day or two. Chicken salad, chicken stirfry, chicken curry are all dishes that can be made from cooked chicken meat.

I also roast a large pan of root and other veggies that lasts a few days. Last week it was cauliflower with garlic and onions, right now there are cabbage wedges and carrots roasting in the oven.

I basically think of eating beef, fish, or fowl along with cooked or raw greens, and some other colored veggie---carrots, squash, sweet potatoes, eggplant, etc. "Basic" plates have a piece of meat, a green veg, and an orange veg on the plate. Sometimes I combine everything in a stir fry. Sometimes it's a veggie based soup plus a piece of meat.

Good luck!

Pea

I'm a big fan of a roast chicken too! Very easy to do, very hard to stuff up. I use Jamie Oliver's recipe: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/perfect-roast-chicken

I had the leftovers on salad today and also made a chicken stock (just whacked all the bones and skin in a big pot with a carrot, celery, onion, pepper and some herbs and let simmer for 4 hours) and will use that to make some casseroles and soup.

I find it cheaper to make stews and casseroles instead of buying individual pieces of meat to cook such as steak or lamb chops etc. And when I have spare time I cook like mad and throw it all in the freezer so on busier days I just have to cook some vegies as a side and I'm good to go!

And..... Most any recipe can be made in to W30.... Soups, stews, roasts, chilli, curries,stir fry.....

The charcoal grill can be your biggest friend.... Just rub any meat/ chicken / fish with simple seasonings .... Wedge up 1/2 microwaved sweet potatoes.... Coat all kinds of veg with a bit of olive oil and salt and grill away.... No recipe needed. My go to several times a week

Archived