Day 29 - Worth It?

toriguidry

Yes - Whole30 is definitely worth the effort. My goal in starting was to "jump-start" my metabolism and start losing weight. I have not weighed yet, and won't until the 31st morning (not weighing, for me has been a challenge all unto itself.) But I do know this: pants and skirts that did not fit at all last summer, already fit now; I can take my suit pants off without unbuttoning them; and overall, I feel better. I write today because if the scales betray me, I want to remember that I am making progress. And, for me this is just the beginning. When I started, I was 50 pounds overweight, which was still 35 pounds less than I weighed five years ago. I'm a 55 year-old female, and I swear I am an air fern - I can live on air and water alone. Or at least that's what my body was doing prior to Whole30. Now, I eat. I am never hungry (unless I forget to eat, which has happened.) I still have cravings, and want to eat. Curiously, this happens most just after I have finished a perfectly appropriate meal. I'm pretty sure now that it is not hunger, but just some weird reaction my body has to trick me into continuing to eat. Anyway, I know sugar and refined carbs are off of my regular diet from here on, dairy too. I had already stopped the soft drinks, artificial sweeteners and deep fried foods. My real goal is to avoid developing diabetes and to age to be an active 75-85 year old. I know from watching my mother, who is 78, that if I am going to achieve that goal, I have to start now. So I have. And, I know that I am on my way - and Whole30 lifestyle will help me live my goal life.

Ageing gracefully was my primary motivation too for getting serious about my health. Helping my parents with care made me start to think about my own life choices (and then a timely diagnosis of Celiac) pushed me the rest of the way. Congratulations to you for seeing and appreciating the process and the results. :)

Archived