Discreet meals ideas for work events...?

KettleBELLE

Hi!

I'm trying to figure out some discreet, portable meals/snacks that will keep me in-line with Whole30 or Whole9 principles. Any suggestions...?

Usually I'm able to really plan my meals, bring my own lunch, or check out compliant options before going to restaurant. Occasionally, though, I get stuck at an impromptu client lunch or all-day event where meals are served. These aren't the moments to whip out Tupperware or the slightly antisocial hardboiled eggs, tuna/salmon, sardine options.

I'm not a huge nut/nut butter fan, but have packets in a pinch, have decanted jerky into baggies to make it a bit less conspicuous, and am down with carrying veg & fruit. I've even done bone broth in a go cup!

Just wondering/hoping that some of the more creative cuisine crew can think of some other fabulous eats...?

Thanks!

A.

Eat a mini meal on the way over and one on the way back??? I've been forced to that at times..... I really am to the point that I don't give a $hit what anyone thinks if I just drink water or coffee and skip the meal and I offer up no explanation or excuse..... I did it with one of my biggest clients last week and I'm post W30....

But that's me and I don't care what anyone thinks.... And they almost never say anything for fear of being knocked out.... Lol

That's what bathroom breaks are for! Have your eggs pre-peeled and salted and peppered in your little baggie or whatever. Mostly in those situations I depend on trail mix - nuts and dried fruit. It's not the best, but I can chew it faster than jerky and it keeps me going. Have a little compact mirror to check your teeth!

Hey Fenderbender

Ugh. I love your pups!! Mine looks just as delighted when I have to put a jacket on him too...!

I agree with you in that most of the time I simply don't care if it's a bit odd or fussy to pick apart a served meal, order the fish for breakfast, or whip out my own tea bags.

It was just this week when I ran into a few situations -- such as a seated dinner at a more formal event, so I couldn't bring a full Tupperware'd meal -- and a business lunch where I couldn't let the client eat by himself (yes I *could* have but it would have been quite rude in this situation) but equally couldn't peel eggs or open a tin of fish, etc. -- that made me realize I need to get a bit more ingenious!

I don't know what type of restaurants you are going to, but almost every one has some sort of salad. I'd order one with cruets on the side and pick through for whatever I felt was safe. Then the client isn't eating alone, and you look like a typical woman on a perpetual diet. That would get you through the meal and you could have your anti-social protein later, or while you 'take that call'.

Hey 1Maryann

I do love ordering a salad with grilled protein and, I agree, no one blinks at that!

Sometimes I get stuck with a buffet or served plate event and it's sort of shocking how few 'minimalist' options there are (as in plain protein and/or veg). Larger events often can substitute or offer a choice but some smaller events you're just stuck with what you're stuck with!

I usually bring my own green tea but am going to start carrying a larger variety of teas -- especially now that I've started to find savory teas. I wonder if there's a bullion cube or granules that isn't full of preservatives...

A.

In those cases, I think I'd just resign myself to not eating with everyone else, and go through the motions of picking through my plate so I looked like I was eating (or like I'm a really picky eater). If you can stand the hunger pains while you watch everyone else eat, I think it would be a better solution than pulling out Tupperware.

By the way, I LOVE your 'name'.

Hey Maryann

I think your scenario will be the case! It doesn't happen often and I was just trying to have the best of both worlds -- noms & socialization! There are some situations where it's totally appropriate to explain or be picky and there'll just be a few times where I'll push things around & glug some water or tea.

Thanks for the name compliment! I've been working with kettlebells (just the bells, I'm not a crossfitter) for a couple of years & the group I got into with were typical basement gym/heavy iron guys. I found kettlebells to actually be quite elegant (don't use that word around the guys...!) & got me into working with weights far more than barbells & dumbbells did. So I started a little community with my other female (though we have some kettlebeaux too...) kettlebell fans who find that femininity helps drive our strength efforts!

Keep well!

Alexis

Archived