Sluggish Detox Pathways

Hello everyone!

I am on Day 12 of The Whole 30 and it's already done a lot for me in the respect that I know now when and how much to eat and am able to pretty much stick to that. I also feel like I've gotten away from a lot of things that while "Paleo" are better in moderation or not at all!:)

I used to do Shakeology cleanses every so often ( as well as being a runner who would get my sweat on every morning!) as it would help me feeling amazing (and by amazing I don't just mean physically-but more importantly mentally). I think a lot of it is it helped my body to detox as I've been told by my naturopath that I don't detox well naturally (I had my gallbladder out, have IBS, and have always had problems with kidneys/bladder, etc).

Since starting Paleo last year and hard core into the fall, I also stopped running and training as hard to give my body more of a break.

Long story short..I find that I almost feel worse, have gained weight (that's not the major concern here), and mentally feel like I keep getting more and more irritable/moody.

After my last cleanse I felt amazing again for a few days..just a sense of clarity/calmness I can't even explain.

Anyway, my question is this: If I have sluggish detox pathways..does anyone else have this issue and if so what are some strategies to help me detox better? My naturopath wants me to try colonics (she uses probiotics in these) but I want to see if there is another way. I did just also start the Paleologix Formula 1 for detox and yesterday upped it to 2 pills a day, as well as I take Gaia Liver Support 2x a day and also try to get in some Kombucha, fermented foods.

Sorry for being so long..just thought I'd see if anyone else has ideas or things that has worked for them...

• Moderators

The Whole30 approach is not into the detox, cleanse, colonic "scene." We moderators don't always do a good job of keeping everyone on topic, but this forum is not a place to discuss any and all questions. This forum is a place to discuss your questions and experience with the Whole30 approach to eating.

My question is not related to colonics..the whole point of Whole 30 is to get the toxins out of your body by eating well, etc. My question is more if anyone else experiences sluggish problems with this/liver/kidneys, etc (I also have no gallbladder). Not everyone who starts eating healthy just automatically feels better so I was trying to see if anyone else had this issue and what they did about it..if they ate certain foods to help with it, etc.

I would encourage you to give the whole30 style of eating a good long chance (like many more than 30 days). The sad (or amazing?) fact is, that our bodies are better equipped to holistically resolve complex issues with our complex system than we could ever figure out, so sometimes we just have to be patient and give the body good clean food and wait it out.

If you don't have a gallbladder, you should be taking digestive enzymes (ox bile?). If you are constipated, you should be taking magnesium, but other than that I don't hear anything that leads me to believe you need a different plan or approach than the whole30 itself.

• Moderators

Miss Mary makes a good point. We are seeing enthusiasm around the forum for "customization" before people have finished a Whole30. Very few people need to do anything that is not specified in the basic Whole30 plan. You are, after all, on Day 12/13 of your Whole30. It is too early to diagnose you with "sluggish detox pathways." Give the most powerful healthcare in the world a chance to work before you think about tweaking things.

And I am not sure I would characterize the Whole30 as designed to get the toxins out of your body. That does happen to some extent, but the real point of the Whole30 is to properly nourish your body. Most people in our culture are malnourished from eating fake food/food products instead of real, whole foods that carry the nutrition our bodies need. Toxins are a small part of the problem. The real problem is living without the basic building blocks of life in our diet and forcing our bodies to limp along on substitutes.

I think the above is true for someone who is new to Paleo and/or eating healthy/clean..which I am not. I don't eat the standard American diet and haven't for almost a year now. I was trying to take what I had learned from some natural healthcare providers and see if there is a nutrition way to deal with it instead of colonics, cleanses, etc that they often suggest.

I think Whole 30 is a WONDERFUL place to start and has already helped me to learn when and how much to eat, etc. I find a LOT of people have to tweak the base plan for certain conditions..especially digestive. I wasn't saying I was going to change anything up or digress from my plan..more so what can I do knowing this is an issue to help that along from a nutrition standpoint. I've already had quite a few contact me on this...so I can guarantee you I am not alone..

Archived