Really low energy after eating beef

Hi all,

For a long time I have eaten red meat very sparingly. I am on day 13 of my Whole30 and today was the first day during it that I've eaten beef. I cooked GF ground beef with onion and some spices and then topped it with salsa and avocado (it was delish!). I also had a salad which nothing out of my norm in it. About 15 minutes after finishing the beef dish I suddenly felt REALLY low energy--like I wanted to take a nap. I haven't felt this way after a meal in Whole30 before. Any idea why? It's now been about 40 minutes and I'm still quite low energy.

Thanks for any insight!

• Moderators

Feeling low energy after eating is normal.. Post-prandial somnolence is a normal state of drowsiness or lassitude following a meal. Post-prandial somnolence has two components – a general state of low energy related to activation of the parasympathetic nervous system in response to mass in the gastrointestinal tract, and a specific state of sleepiness caused by hormonal and neurochemical changes related to the rate at which glucose enters the bloodstream and its downstream effects on amino acid transport in the central nervous system (from Wikipedia)

And maybe it was the beef, maybe it wasn't. One instance is not enough to draw a conclusion. You can begin to think about a pattern after 3 instances, but reliable conclusions of this type require more info - 5 to 7 maybe.

Can you tell I live with a doctor? I learned post-prandial from her.

Thanks, Tom. This is great info. It's interesting as the low energy/tiredness really lasted through the evening and this morning it was hard to get up (which has not been my experience thus far on Whole 30). You are totally right that I can't draw any conclusions until I'm able to reproduce the situation again. I'm not saying no to beef at this point but will stay alert to how my body feels when eating it. :)

Archived