Starting over on March 18

Marenpatrick

I have been doing the Whole 30; I made it to day 18, then made some poor food choices and then some MORE bad choices and now I just feel nasty!

I am ready to start my Whole 30 over and really be 100% committed this time to make it all the way through. I am amazed at how gross I feel from a couple of days of eating in my old "normal" way compared to how great I was feeling. I think part of the reason that I fell off was that I was feeling so good and so confident that I reasoned one glass of wine can't hurt...I've got this, but then the guilt kicked in and I felt that I blew it so might as well keep going. Four days and a pizza, some wine, some beer and a dessert later and I feel bloated, puffy and tired - no longer lean and energized.

Time to re-commit and start feeling great again. The Paleo way of eating definitely works for me!

Welcome Maren, don't feel guilty just feel glad you had such a massive learning experience. The first time round you didn't know if those foods really affected you, now you do know. You also managed 18 days eating clean which in itself is fantastic so give yourself credit for that. By the way, I also read your other post so massive kudos for also committing to giving up smoking this time. I really wish you all the best, use the forum for support and keep us posted how you get on. good luck

Hi there!

I so know where you are coming from Maren! I have been on and off this Whole 30 plan for the last month and I completely believe in the benefits, but keep making bad choices (totally taking ownership of this one!) and needing to start at Day 0 again - very frustrating! The farthest I got was Day 6......but I completely agree with your comments about feeling SO much better and noticing really quickly once you fall of the eating wagon so to speak. I decided to recommit today myself today and do a few things differently: 1) I will track my eating and 2) I will do a better job planning and preparing meals in advance - get empowered in the kitchen! This is a big one for me as my husband typically cooks. I need to take ownership of this and do it!

I would love to check in regularly and stay accountable to this program. I think I need some group help! So here's to starting over and seeing it through this time!!!!

I found falling off the wagon to be eye-opening. Eating the SAD, we were so used to feeling bad that we confused it with normal. Doing a Whole30, or a part of one, gives your body a chance to start working the way nature meant it to work. Going back to the old ways is a slap in the face! Did I feel like that all the time and didn't notice, because that's just how I felt all the time?

Wow Maryann... your comment sure hit home, feeling bad really was normal! Perhaps my missteps were great learning experience. Happy to be starting again and looking forward to a complete 30 days this time.

Christine - planning and cooking meals were so important in making it to day 18 for me, I would say those are probably the two greatest things that you can do to be successful. When I started I hardly ever cooked, except pasta that is...now I cook all of the time, I like knowing what I am eating. I am constantly amazed that a lot of Paleo/ W30 meals are SO easy and quick. Cook Christine cook! This is how you will own it! BTW, is your husband on board with the W30?

Christine, once you get the planning down it is hard to make bad choices unless you do so deliberately. There are so many things you can make that can be done in quantity, take little effort, and can be portioned and frozen for a quick defrost in the micro when you need something fast. Beef stew in the crock pot, Well Fed's chocolate chili, and either green or red Thai curry come to mind. I'm sure you will find others. Just double the recipe and shove some of the leftovers in the freezer. Save some of the leftovers for lunch through the week.

Archived