Prego Spaghetti Sauce

2ksmama

Almost all processed foods are going to have either sugar or soy. Canned tomato sauce is very different from the Prego/Ragu types of jarred sauces. Canned tomato sauce is pretty much what it says it is. Prego/Ragu and similar brands have both sugar and soybean oil. Read ingredient labels in great detail. There is sugar in E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G. And what doesn't have sugar, has soy. Hence the emphasis on whole foods that don't have ingredient lists - no sugar or soy (or other baddies).

I have found a compliant jarred sauce at WalMart. It is by Victoria Trading Company. It contains whole and diced tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, sea salt, and basil. Tastes much like a good homemade sauce from a real Italian restaurant.

I've started making my own sauce of our family recipe. It is super easy. I make enough to freeze into separate containers.

All you need is evoo, onions, garlic, a large can of crushed tomatoes, additional spices are optional (basil and oregano)

In a large pot pour in the evoo until it's about 1/2" tick at the bottom, place the burner on medium / medium-high. Dice up your onions and garlic. I use 2 large onions because I like a lot in my sauce and about 3-4 cloves of garlic. Place the onions and garlic in the olive oil. Stir until the onions are slightly translucent. Add the can of crushed tomatoes (I use Pomi), turn the burner to low and cover the pot. Simmer for at least 30 mins. Stir occasionally. If I have the time I will let mine simmer for 1.5-2 hours. Near the end you can add whatever spices you like.

I agree Jtandi above, Whole Foods 365 Organic Fat Free Pasta sauce is compliant, delicious and at least than $3 for a huge jar, a good buy. Every sunday I make a big batch of meatballs, spaghetti squash and sauce since that's my Husband's favorite meal and if I had to make the sauce from scratch, I don't know if he'd ever get it again. :P

Making your own marinara is super easy!! I use this recipe and it is always a hit at the Fierro house, especially when the basil in my backyard threatens to take over and swallow up my dog! :) I use my own jarred tomatoes, but I am sure you can find compliant canned tomatoes out there, just read the labels! AND...don't let the garlic scare you...it cooks down nice and soft and almost melts away into the tomatoes...so good...especially on squash, steak, chicken, poached eggs...

http://lidiasitaly.com/recipes/detail/589

If you are making meatballs...sautee some onion with the garlic, or add onion powder with the tomatoes and add a bay leaf...it holds up nicely to the meaty flavors, whereas a regular marinara would get lost on a meat-a-ball!

Thought I would chime in...because once you make this sawce (as we say in our house) you will never buy the grocery jars again! Trust me!

Archived