Anyone else on here training for RKC?

Hey Whole30 - I'm new to the forum - I'm a DragonDoor HKC (Hardstyle Kettlebell Certified) and I'm training for my Russian Kettlebell Challenge (RKC) - it's in Philly, Sept 28-30th...yikes, just 3 months to go!!

Training for RKC is pretty intesne. I'm wondering if anyone else here is also training for it. I'd love to compare notes in training and in eating, especially to see if anyone is playing around with intermittent fasting.

Thanks!

• Moderators

Good luck to you! I'm training for HKC in September in Cartersville, Georgia.

Have you seen the Hartwig's on the RKC? http://whole9life.com/2011/05/rkc-preparation-plan/ http://whole9life.com/2011/05/rkc-in-review/ and http://whole9life.com/2011/05/thats-not-what-ships-are-for/

I did some intermittent fasting last year. I ate within an 8-9 hour window 2 or 3 times per week for awhile. I was relatively comfortable, but did not notice any meaningful benefits and stopped. The big thing I learned was not to train after fasting 17 hours. I ran out of gas during a session and suffered more muscle pain the next day than I had felt in years. I had not planned to go to my workout fasted, but did not get a chance to eat and decided to workout anyway because I felt fine. I felt fine right into my body running out of gas and then it was not fine!

Hey Tom - thanks for your reply and good luck at HKC! It's an amazing day of learning for sure! Who will your instructor be, do you know yet? I had Dave Whitley - he's a pretty amazing teacher.

Thanks for the link above - I will check it out for sure.

In terms of IF, I've been playing around w.doing some 20hrs fast/4hrs eating, or 18/6, 16/8. I've felt pretty well, and my workouts while they are intense, I'm able to get through them strongly. I usually workout in a fasted state and was wondering about breaking the fast - is it best to break the fast right after the work out to recover, or is it ok to fast longer, past the workout, if you're ok??

Hi Sharon,

Just wanted to say good luck! I currently go to an RKC training studio and have thought about training for either the HKC but after seeing the requirements, it makes me cringe. Keep us posted on how you do. :)

• Moderators

Hi again Sharon. Sorry for the delay. I just figured out how to revisit posts I've been in before and found your questions.

Your muscles are most ready to eat just after a workout, so if you want to build strength, it would be best to feed them with a post-workout meal within about 15 minutes. My guess is that it would be ideal if you trained just before you were ready to break your fast and ate a real meal soon after the workout too.

In preparation for RKC, I would think you need strength and resilience more than leanness, so you might not want to experiment too much with IF before you're done.

The HKC event closest to me is in Cartersville, GA September 8th with Senior RKC Franz Snideman and RKC Team Leader Yoana Teran. I have not heard of either of them, but I'm sure they are good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello there,

I have been an RKC for 5 years and am 67 years old 130 lbs and 5'5"…. been experimenting with diets most of my life and this seems like a good one. I train in a fasted state too…. Usually first thing in the morning then usually ate very lightly after that for years…. and it never bothered me…. I however never eat sugar, and basically have been doing Paleo before it was called paleo… just good sense. The main thing I found for the RKC was to not overtrain…… I limited my training to 4days a week and never more than 30 minutes ever. I did lots of joint mobilization and focused on swings and tgu's … started snatch training 3 months out…. I just did 67 snatches with the 24K in 5 minutes on my 67th birthday…. for the RKC I have to do 50 with the 20K in 5 minutes.. Diet is critical. I did not use any supplements or protein powders etc other than a great liquid multivitamin called IntraMax by drucker labs….. only thing I have seen in 26 years of practice that is worth the cost of a supplement...

Good luck comrade…….

Anything I can do to help you give me a holler.

Drjohn

I am an HKC and RKC and I took my time prepping for the RKC - over a year. My personal experience is it's difficult to have multiple simultaneous goals - if you want to pass the RKC then everything you do should lead to that (e.g. I would question prepping for a marathon and the RKC at the same time). To that end, I think that making substantial diet changes and having your body adjusting to that during the RKC will make things tough, but that depends on lots of thing such as how much change whole30 is for you. I would be careful combining aggressive goals.

The RKC is a ton of volume over 3 days with the snatch test on day 3. You will need lots of energy for heavy swings and the other 5 RKC moves done in volume. If you are using the brett jones RKC prep workouts, that's a good glimpse of what you'll be doing.

Personally, I had to add strength for the RKC and that required lots of pressing, heavy 1H swings etc and eating a LOT. Adding press strength takes time thus my patient trek to the RKC.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm on Day 15 of the Whole 30. Training for the RKC, starts in 12 days...snatch test is 14 days from today. Any advice/wisdom on tailoring my eating withing the Whole30 guidelines to maximize results would be much appreciated! That snatch test with a 16 is a beast!

Good luck with the RKC! It will be a life changing experience in the best way. I went through the RKC this past February. Probably the toughest thing I've done in my adult life athletically (at the age of 47), but very rewarding. To stay Whole30 compliant, just make sure you plan ahead by bringing your own food and snacks. BTW, the snatch test ended up being not so hard; the volume and intensity of the weekend will take its toll!

Archived