Military (and panicking...just a little)

Claire_C

Hi! I'm new to the Whole 30...and have two fairly separate challenges facing me (if I wait until they are past...I'll never start!)

1. I'm at school in Dahlgren, VA (the nearest Whole Foods/Trader Joes is an hour away and I have access to a Food Lion/Wal-Mart) and have a month in a hotel. My only ammenities include a microwave and a refrigerator. I am ordering some Paleo Meals from a Whole 30 endorsed site...but wanted to see if anyone had some creative ideas!

2. As soon as I graduate, I'll be heading off to meet my ship on deployment...where the meat is...questionable and the eggs are definitely not real (unless you eat hard boiled eggs...no faking those!). However, I can guarantee that nothing on a ship is organic/free range/etc. Does anyone have any advice as to what family members can send or Whole 30 approved protein supplements?

Thank you!

tuna/other canned fish

fruits and veggies

smoked salmon/avocado/lettuce wrap in nori (one of my standard lunches at work)

almond butter (great with celery, apple, banana, etc)

For both now and when on the ship you might find these helpful: http://primalpacs.com/. I usually keep a good supply on hand for when I know getting quality food may be difficult. I've also been considering trying soem from http://stevesoriginal.com/store.

I'm sure others will be along soon to add their ideas.

I'd also add, it doesn't have to be organic or free range. Yes that's the best but not all of us can afford that. There's a success story here http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/7066-finished-whole30-my-results/page__hl__organic%2C__fromsearch__1 from someone who had great results but never had organic or free range meat or eggs. We all do the best we can. Good luck

I am underway right now and having the same issue. It is impossible to eat anywhere near Whole30 on the ship. I bring loads of Paleokits, almond butter, coconut butter and oil, and I buy the organic baby food in the sqeezable pouch. Those are great for when you run out of lettuce after a week. I end up having to eat things that are not approved just to get enough calories through the day. Nothing is worse than being starving on the mid watch and the only thing to eat is from the vending machine. The meat is poor quality, so I try to limit my intake. I do eat a ton of hard boiled eggs...

Next time I am going to bring salmon pouches, but the Steve's paleokits save my life. They are expensive, but they give a military discount if you email them from a .mil address and request the code.

Go to Rare Crossfit in F-burg. That gym is great!

• 1 month later...

Hello!! I am also in the military and will be going underway soon, not for a whole deployment just a couple weeks... I live overseas so I have limited access to stuff like steve's original and stuff like that.

I have completed a whole30 and am going onto do a whole45 (or as close to one as possible now that I have to go underway!) and am on day 34 now, so it doesn't have to be PERFECT but I cannot just eat what's on the ship for every meal...

Any other ideas for what to bring underway? I'm going to bring tuna packets, nick's grass fed beef/turkey sticks, paleomeal shake (not whole30 approved, but what I'll use in a pinch), greensfirst, fish oil...

I'm also not eating nuts...

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

My husband is an officer in the army, and we find the whole30 toughest for him when he's on missions or in the field. MRE's are obviously no compliant, but its his only option. When not whole30ing, and staying strict paleo, we send him LOADS of almond butter, Paleo People Granola (they ship to APO addresses free and give a nice discount to arrive members), nuts, larabars, and my Italian family sends salami and other meats. Everything made it to Afghanistan, even the olives, in one piece.

Glad I'm not the only military one around here! I ate close to compliant in Afghanistan well before I found this site...went grain and dairy free for most of the time there. It's tempting, with everyone's families sending cookies, but it can be done.

My dining facility tips:

If there is a short order line in your DFAC (not sure what you Navy folks call it) you might be able to get fried eggs and, if you're lucky, they'll do a scramble with those instead of the mysterious ladled eggs. My DFAC here in Germany has all kinds of veggies to put into a scramble/omelet.

Hard boiled eggs will save your life. If they're overcooked as many are, instead of peeling them, cut them in half and use a spoon to scoop out the egg. It will keep more of the egg in an edible state vs. stuck to the shell. And you can usually ask for more and get them.

Talk to the food service folks. If you're nice and ask, they will tell you what the ingredients are in, say, salsa that you want to use to make your HB eggs less boring.

Salads are your friend, and every DFAC I've eaten in has vinegar and oil (ask so you know if it's olive vs. canola) as a dressing option. Most days they have baked chicken, etc.

If you have a fridge available and know you have a late night, ask to see if you can get extra of something at the end of chow. Chicken, fish, etc. That way you can save it for later.

I have, on occasion, gotten a side with corn in it and just picked it out. Ideal? No, but it's doable.

Fresh fruit is available too - since you can't just chow down on sweet potatoes like those of us who are cooking our own food, use these to replace the starchy veggies (since I've never seen any sweet potatoes in a DFAC, other than the sweet potato tots) to keep your energy up.

The tuna pouches packed in EVOO don't have soy in them. And if you don't have olive oil available for your salad...they're money.

That's all off of the top of my head. Since you aren't preparing your own meals, this will be hard, but don't sweat it too hard if there is nothing available for you to eat. You can do this, or can at least come close enough to see some results.

Hello! Thank you for your response. What a great idea w/ the tuna and olive oil! I was planning on buying some little olive oil bottles to bring with me too. Luckily on a ship they use REAL EGGS (i know, shocking!!) so I will make sure to get a good breakfast every morning. I know being "perfect" whole30 compliant is unrealistic on a ship but I want to get as close as possible. Thank you for your suggestions i'm going to order some tuna now :)

Glad I could help! Lucky you on the eggs...I've given up. I've asked them to pan scramble the ones for frying, but they always give me the deer in headlights look and say "but these are eggs." If I can see the granules of powder as you ladle them and they're mysteriously homogenized...no, they aren't.

Here's to you - you'll do great!

Archived