Too thin-can I continue with this?

I am on day 18. I started whole 30 not to lose weight as I was already thin, but to gain knowledge on the foods that were causing energy slumps, moodiness, constipation, etc... At diff times in my life I have had bad bouts of stomach issues ranging from constipation to severe stomach cramping. I have never really been "regular" with bowel movements and I wanted to do some fine tuning. I am 41 years old with 3 kids. I am 5'2" and 103 pounds now. I know we are not supposed to get on the scale, but my sweet husband made me get on the scale because he was worried about me. My veins are literally popping out, my rib cage and back bone are very visible, I have no boobs left (not that I ever had much in that department anyway). I know weight is just a number, but I was 122 lbs for years-whenever I wasn't pregnant I was at 122. I slowly started losing the weight last summer-just swimming and being more active.

I hate to stop halfway through this, but I need to get healthy again and that means gaining weight. How should I go about doing this? I eat A LOT of food and have done no cardio since starting whole 30 because I knew I would loose too much if I did cardio too. I eat until I am stuffed, but it's still coming off.

Here is what I ate yesterday:

Breakfast: half of a frittata cooked in large cast iron skillet, made with 4 eggs, coconut milk, spinach, mushrooms, onion, bell pepper, and diced pork tenderloin., also 2 large cups of bulletproof style coffee made with ghee, coconut oil, coconut milk, and frontier alcohol free sugar free vanilla.

Lunch: nom nom pales chicken and gravy and a large salad with olive oil/balsamic vinegar/Dijon mustard dressing, spinach, romaine, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumber, tomato, hard boiled egg, broccoli slaw; 6 raspberries.

Dinner:well fed pad Thai-ate 3/4 of the recipe even though it says it serves 2. Cranberry bliss kombucha tea

Snack at 9 pm(ate late on purpose because hubby brought up his weight concerns last night and suggested I eat something as he was worried): pecan pie larabar and 3 great balls of fire from nom nom paleo.

Ok-what are your thoughts/suggestions? I really don't want to put on a bikini lately because I look like a young boy with a stick figure! Please help!

Assuming there is nothing else going on healthwise other than a diet change, maybe try adding some starchy carbs like sweet potatoes or bananas? It looks like you've got a great variety of foods going, and I'm assuming the portion sizes are good, but you're light on the starch. If weight loss isn't a goal, then you don't need to worry about carb restriction. Add 1/2 an avocado to one of your meals for some additional healthy fats. It may just be that you're not eating enough calories, even if it feels like you are eating a large amount of food.

Yesterday I did not have much on starch other than the sweet potato that is used to make the great balls of fire and the spaghetti squash used in the pad Thai, but I have sweet potatoes at least once every day and also usually either squash or avocado ( I usually make homemade guacamole for a salad dressing on my salad).

Honestly I did not even think twice about this, but my friends and family are starting to comment. They say I look emancipated. I have a family history of heart problems and was born with a hole in my heart. My mom is about to have surgery to fix a hole in her heart and arrhythmia so they are worried for my heart.

I really want to gain in as healthy of a way as possible. If I do need to stop the whole 30, what food would be best to add back in first for healthy weight gain?

Thank you everyone!

• Moderators

The amount you are eating at each meal sounds okay and the fact that you eat until you are "stuffed" suggests you are doing as much as you can with three meals. It sounds like you need to be eating five meals for a while, doing your best to eat 1-2 palm-size portions of protein, generous amounts of healthy fats, and veggies with an emphasis on starchy veggies - sweet potatoes, turnips, winter squash, beets, carrots, etc. I really love greens, but you need the calories of starchy veggies.

Whole30 foods are the healthiest choices, you just apparently need more of it.

Beyond food it is important that you get 8 hours of sleep. Most people with sleep problems gain weight, but if you are having sleep problems I would bet it makes it difficult for you to gain weight.

While many people do a W30 trying to lose weight, that's not really the purpose of it. It's designed to give our bodies the best possible nourishment. It can be very frustrating to feel you're losing weight you don't want to lose. Believe me, I know, 3 years ago I was really ill and dropped to 80+ pounds and hated it. However I don't see that adding in rubbish food or food that might upset you is going to help in any way to make you healthier

I agree with adding in starchy carbs, sweet potatoes, plantains etc and making sure you're getting enough fat. Avacados are a great suggestion. Melissa suggest that pregnant women who need to up their food intake could sip on a can of coconut milk throughout the day, this might be something you could consider. Rather than adding in larabars, I'd be tempted to add in another meal of protein, fat & veg and see how you go. good luck with it.

Thank you for the suggestions. I am glad to hear that it is possible to gain on this. I am calling my doctor today. 103 is still in the range for a 5'2" female, but it is more my families reaction than the number on the scale that concerns me. Sometimes we don't see it in ourselves but our loved ones do. I have 2 daughters and want them to have a healthy body image. I love what they are learning about nutrition from this, but don't want them to think my size is something to strive for.

I will try 5 meals with less focus on raw greens. I do worry about getting enough fat in my diet-aside from avocado and cooking in coconut oil/ghee, what else can you recommend? I bought coconut butter the other day but have not tried it yet as I don't really know what to use it with?? Also I sometimes have almond butter with apples-is this a good fat source?

Thank you again for helping me fine tune this. I would also appreciate any recipe suggestions that would help in my goals- I have the kindle version of well fed as well as the nom nom paleo app.

• Moderators

I eat coconut butter by the spoonful when I want a little something.

Most of the time I encourage people to avoid nuts and nut butters because they are easy to overeat, but in your case, you might want to eat nuts or nutbutters. I add a handful of cashews or macadamias to stir fries, with sweet potatoes, etc. I even add a handful of cashews to liver and onions. They are a dense calorie source.

Going to the doctor is a great idea.

You can also get fats from foods, instead of just adding them on. Fish like salmon, sardines and anchovies are all good sources of omega 3 fats. I have salmon (usually smoked) almost everyday. If you can get grass fed meats, those are also a good source of fats. I'm a big lamb fan, but I also eat beef every now and then. Both of those can bring a good dose of fat, depending on the cut. Olives and olive oil are also good ways to add some additional fat into your diet. I'd make sure to have at least one starchy carb per meal.At the beginning of the week I roast some cut up sweet potatos and butternut quash in some olive oil and then eat that throughout the week. It's easy and really tasty too.

Coconut butter is a great topper to a baked sweet potato. Tastes great with salt and pepper or cinnamon.

Coconut butter is a better option than Amond butter. What I like to do is mix a bit of almond butter with a bit of mayonaise, and add a splash of coconut aminos mix it up real well and then dip carrots and celery in it.

I am thin like you (5'8", 120 lbs), in my 40's with 3 kids, and the Whole30 program has made me drop a few more pounds than I expected to. But I feel very healthy. This is the weight I was in high school when I was on sports teams. I have a small frame and little body fat, and this is where my body likes to hang out when I'm eating properly and exercising. I eat huge meals and never go hungry. About the only way I gain weight is to eat sugary junk food. So other people can have their opinions about whether my body shape is attractive or not, but this is where I feel good and healthy.

Thank you all again. Sandra I hear you on the weight. The problem is I am thinner than I even was when I was highly competitive with sports in high school. I do have a small frame, but even I look in the mirror and am not pleased. I really do think that the number on the scale is irrelevant-you can be too thin or too heavy and the number on the scale won't show it! It is definitely more about the way you feel. That being said I feel good, but don't like how I look. So that is why I am asking for advice so I can gain the weight yet continue to feel good about the fuel I am providing my body with.

Thanks for the advice about the fats. My husband is a fisherman and I love to eat the fish he gets- tuna, mahimahi, grouper, red snapper, wahoo and amberjack. Yum! I have it about once a week only though because I thought of them as diet type foods, but forgot about the healthy fat in them. I will try coconut butter. I have been occasionally snacking on cashews, etc but do worry some about inflammation.

Recipe suggestions anyone?

Thank you all again

A nice way to use frozen winter squash: thaw the package in the refrigerator overnight, then heat over medium with about 3/4 cup chicken stock, a little salt and pepper, and a pinch of nutmeg. Whisk with a wire whisk until smooth and heat through. This would serve about two people. It's very digestible and gets a good amount of carbs in, and I often even have this for breakfast.

Half an avocado any time, with just a little lemon juice or plain, is a great source of fat.

For a snack, banana slices with cashew butter (I like Maranatha Brand best; some others I've tried not so tasty) is quick and good.

For a very easy stir-fry: partially steam some cauliflower, then heat a wok or other pan, add coconut oil, then add either shrimp or ground beef, the cauliflower, a small amount of chicken stock, salt and pepper, about a quarter- to half teaspoon of curry powder, and stir for a bit until the chicken stock is bubbly. Remove from the heat, and add a sliced banana, a quarter cup of cashews, and a small amount of raisins. (Adjust for the number of servings you wish; I maybe use about a half dozen raisins and not even a half banana when I cook this just for myself. This is one of my go-to dinners when I'm really tired, and it's tasty and easy. If you wish, add some minced garlic to the oil and saute for a minute before adding the other ingredients, and zucchini works well in addition to or in place of the cauliflower.

This is me! My husband and I just started the program over the weekend. He's got some health issues and maybe a few pounds he'd like to drop, and I'm along for the ride to be supportive and improve my own health. I'm very petite, 5'3", 108 dripping wet, and am not interested in loosing weight, but already I "feel" skinnier. And I want to inhale a loaf of bread. And I'm hungry.

You're not alone, please keep us updated on your progress and what works to regain what you've lost!

I tried 5 meals today and feel stuffed, but maybe it will help. I also tried coconut butter with strawberries tonight. Yum! I will keep everyone posted! Thank you for the support-I was ready to give up until I realized I can do this the right way!

I'm late to the party, but I am one more with the same issue. It's nothing new for me that I struggle to keep weight on, and of course I lost during my Whole30. No idea how much as I have not owned a scale or weighed myself in many years, but I do have a mirror. And like you I did not like what I saw there!

I focus on concentrated starches before I add fibrous veggies, and even though I am generous with ghee and coconut oil when cooking I also add copious amounts of olive oil to everything after cooking. Everything I eat swims in fat.

And then I lick the plate :-).

I also eat fruit liberally.

And lately I started eating 4 meals a day rather than 3.

I've always been skinny like that. I had people talk behind my back about me being anorexic while I was eating four to five BIG meals a day plus 200g of white chocolate (that's on top of the usual desserts) and having several beers at night. But I was also riding my bike to work, 30 km one way including 4 serious climbs. Yes, I looked anorexic, but I was also incredibly healthy and fit.

IMO people like us need to really focus on calorie dense and easy to digest foods and avoid too much bulky, fibrous stuff. It takes too much time and energy to digest. You shouldn't have to eat until you feel stuffed.

blp! If you are hungry you are not eating enough. you don't need to fill up with bread, fill up with meat and veg and fat. as much as it takes.

This is so key. If you aren't "hungry," add the avocado, the nuts and seeds, the healthy fats. And learn to love you, healthy, well-fed you.

Good luck and keep us posted!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in a similar position (5'8 and 120 lb) and have always been pretty thin. When I went paleo in February I started dropping weight, only about 5 pounds, but when there's not much to lose, it shows. I started to put a few pounds back on when I started crossfit and I wasn't surprised. Strength training really helps me keep weight on. And yes, I know, muscle weighs more than fat but I think its more than that. I'm definitely hungrier when I'm strength training and find it easier to eat more food and not get that stuffed feeling. Are you strength training at all? You mentioned skipping the cardio but I'm wondering what you're doing for exercise. Good luck with everything!

Super late to this party, but I'm in a similar position with my weight. I absolutely agree with joanna-banana, Weighted workouts help a lot - keep my weight and energy up; I have to be careful and not over-do or I go in the opposite direction. My heart wants to workout every day, but my weight and body composition is better if I only go all out 2-3 times per week and light bodyweight exercises on off days.

Also - bone broth, raw kraut and fermented cod liver oil have all been huge for me. I think this is because of the healing effect these foods have had on my stomach; I absorb nutrition better now.

If weight is falling off despite high calories and already on the thin side, a checkup might be indicated, as hyperthyroidism can cause weight loss, as can a number of other physical problems.

I hope things are going well for the OP and all others with this concern.

Hard to believe, but 6 years ago my family was worried about me being too skinny on a paleo diet!

Pea

Archived